• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New findings!?

findergameandfish

Posted earlier about a new lab that is gun shy thought it was loud noises but think it is sight of the gun or anything that looks like one went to play fetch with her and a stick and she got nervouse and didnt really like that so Iam wondering about how to cure of sight gun shy?

Quote:

Posted earlier about a new lab that is gun shy thought it was loud noises but think it is sight of the gun or anything that looks like one went to play fetch with her and a stick and she got nervouse and didnt really like that so Iam wondering about how to cure of sight gun shy?

I am guessing that your dog became shy of the sound from the gun, then attributed the sound it was afraid of to the gun you are carrying and now anything that resembles a gun it is afraid of.

Pretty smart, but frustrating for you.

I have never had a dog that was gun shy, so I have never had to break them of it, but I know there are several posts out here about it.

I would suggest finding a starter pistol or something similar that can be concealed from the dog. Then, when the dog is occupied with something else, fire the gun. It might startle them at first, but eventually they will get over it. Then work your way up to bigger guns.

The biggest thing is to take it slow, do not rush it. I would say, initially just shoot once with the pistol. Then a couple days later repeat until it doesn't jump at all.

Just curious. When was you dog born? I had an interesting theory about dogs that were gun shy and was wondering if your dog was born in Fall. All dogs I have known to be gun shy were born in the Fall and were not accustomed to loud noises ie Thunderstorms. I think dogs born in the Spring grow accustomed to loud sounds.

Good luck, I hope you fix it. My uncle was so frustrated he got rid of his dog that was gun shy. He didn't have much patience though.

Thanks for the info I have seaaarched through all the posts on gun-shy dogs and really none of them talked about a dog being gun-shy seeing the gun (or something similier to one) its all about the sound. The dog was adopted from a humane society and they say it was born January 2005. I believe this is true I think I got a lot of papers I shouldn't have no kennel papers though.

Be very patient with this dog. Spend lots of time with it, gentle playing. Don't throw a stick...throw a little ball or a small sized training dummy. Be careful of your throwing motion so it does not look like you are going to HIT the dog with something.

I'll bedt if you take your time and go reaaallll slow you can work the dog around. As soon as it totally TRUSTS you it will want to do what you ask. If you do something to scare it it's all over. Go slow. Be gentle. You may end up with a great dog.

Thanks for the info. I took her to a trainer yesterday. we let out a couple pigions and she chased them down, wich was a good sign. He was thinking that she was in the duck boat(blind)with her previuos owners sitting right next to them and a group of duck came in and the just fired away, before she was introduced to birds and guns,and that is why she dosn't like full draws on guns and sticks. He gave me some dead birds and said to get here excited about the birds and then start the gun.Otherwise he said she is a pretty good dog but very cautious.

I am having sort of the same problem. When I bring the gun out Maggie puts her tail between her legs and watches me out of the corner of her eye. Until I put her in the truck, once she is in the truck she is fine. In the field she is all business.

It is interesting I thought it also might be she was afraid of the sound and assocaiting the sound with the gun. but that is not it, if we hear gun shots, she just has to try and go check them out. Opening day of duck season we did not hunt, when the shooting started Maggie was sitting at the door shaking and whimpering because she could not go and join in the fun.

I decided that it is just a quirk of hers and since it does not affect her hunting I am just going to live with it. Maybe she will develop the sense that when the gun comes out it is time to have fun. So far she has not.

i hope to atleast get to hunt under her maybe not this hunting season but like the trainer said maybe at a hunt club. She is a preety smart dog I have her already retrieving the dead birds i got from him yesterday, He thought it would take a couple of days. She has a lot of potential.