• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

early scrape--is it possible?

Grandee

I was out looking for a spot to put my trail camera Sunday. Came up to this tree and saw what looked to be a scape. Seemed way to early to me, is it possible?

I saw a scrape two weekends ago (sept. 9th) I know for a fact it was a deer scrape. i thought this was really early, does anyone have insight to why we are seeing scrapes in early Sept? Thanks

I've seen numerous scrapes this time of year, nothing unusual really. I typically find them along field edges. Often times its a bachelor group still together working those scrapes.

I have seen scrapes as early as the mid-late august. I found a scrape line on the property I hunt, on a field edge, with a total of 7 scrapes in 100 yards---that have been getting hit regularly since I first spotted them sept 2. I am also going to set up a dripper and trail cam on one of them to see what is making them.

I wonder if its from the hormone increase that causes them lose their velvet that gets them going early......?

jeff

I almost always see scrapes very early before the rut along field edges or fence lines.Dont know why,just see them.

could be velvet rubs, and if there is alot of competition between other bucks in your area they will start getting aggresive early. different deer have different personalities too.

I have seen this too. I have read that deer use scrapes as kind of a community sign post. They tell the other deer in the area who is around and what their status is. Definitely not sure but maybe that is what we're seeing.

I found one in my area on Labor day weekend. Put up a camera and found 2- year and half old 6 pointers were there both Saturday and Sunday nights. They have been keeping it open every weekend since.

Apparently they must have jobs too if they're only keeping the scrape open on the weekends...

Sorry, couldn't resist, not that I tried very hard.

I have an edge on the property that I hunt that will have early september scrapes every year.

The early scrapes do not ever seem to be real defined like the later season scrapes are. The ones now have grass in the middle, and sometimes they will get abandonded for another one under a better tree branch.

I don't know how true it is, but I have read in seaveral hunting magazines that many deer use scrapes year round as a form of communication to determine what other deer are in the area. Someone else mentioned it being like a sign post, I guess that would be a good way to describe it. The authors of the articles I read were basically saying that despite common belief, scrapes are not just for use during the rut.

Bucks this time of year will rub on a tree to polish the tines on their antlers. Think of it as when a fresh fingernail comes in and it's nice and soft. this is the time that they can polish them up. if the ground is torn up with it then it's a good scrape. I can see the bucks going into rut early with the weather turning already. Lets ask the bow hunting gods to give us a good rut this year.

i was out scouting last fri nite and kicked up a small 6pt off a fenceline right where he jumped up at there was a small scrape about the size of a frizbe, went back sunday afternoon and that thing must have been 2feet across, either that little guy was busy over the wkend or his big bro came along and took over?

I saw a few pop up in late august and set up a cam on one. Filled up a roll of film in two days on 9 different bucks. Most were licking the overhanging branch. One was a 140 class 8 pointer with a spread that looked to be about 22 inside. If only I could get the real big boys to show up...