• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rumor has it that the greenbacks are starting to trickle in. Can anyone confirm or deny this? What can you tell us about the Selkirk and Pine Falls areas? Any reports would be appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scoot

• Catmendo

• Ed Carlson

• hadanooner

Scoot,

My prediction for the fall "greenback" run would be one a great optimism! The river is in great shape, there is loads of bait fish in the system at this time. There's an aggressive sauger bite on at this time which is usually followed up by a strong showing of huge 'eyes! There has been a few 'eyes being caught of late, but it's still a little early. Another very important factor that is worth mrntioning is the weather that is currently moving thru the region at this time. Much cooler temps, very strong north winds will only improve the situation. Last week the water temps on the Red continued to hover in the mid sixties, this cool front will force the temps to drop considerably and this will trigger greater moverment with the walleye!

Pine Falls should also be good starting sometime in October. One thing the Winnipeg River is lacking is flo. Without strong flo's the fishery just doesn't fish well. Hopefully the flo rates will improve over there.

Scoot, I was over on the Red with Fiskynut last Tuesday near Hallock and managed to luck into a beauty of a greenback. It was 31" long and probably weighed about 12 pounds! Nice and fat and girthy! When I said I lucked into it I really meant it. We were fishing for cats and using goldeyes for cutbait and that's what I caught the monster on. What a great surprise! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Every year people predict that it will be a great fall run for big greenbacks. I talked to a few local buddies in the area, and they are all very excited for this fall. These guys shoot it straight and predict more bad years than good. They said things are reminding them of the 98-2000 seasons when things were on fire. The water level is perfect and lots of forage in the system. Buddy was on Miricle Mile earlier this week and picked up a 27 and 28 and a few smaller greens mixed in. So looks like a few of them are starting to come in. In about 2 weeks things should really start to pick up.

Quote:

Every year people predict that it will be a great fall run for big greenbacks. I talked to a few local buddies in the area, and they are all very excited for this fall. These guys shoot it straight and predict more bad years than good. They said things are reminding them of the 98-2000 seasons when things were on fire. The water level is perfect and lots of forage in the system. Buddy was on Miricle Mile earlier this week and picked up a 27 and 28 and a few smaller greens mixed in. So looks like a few of them are starting to come in. In about 2 weeks things should really start to pick up.

TWO WEEKS!!! Things are heating up a lot quicker than that!

Today some guestsb from Ill. hammered some beauties! They had a dozen between twenty to twenty two inches and they released a nine plus and an eleven lb plus. As I have been stating all along, this year, like last year will be hot!

The winter bite will also be extremely productive in which I can't wait!

The water temps dropped another two degree's since yesterday, it's now sitting at 59 degree's!

Every year I go fishing up to grand rapids,mb with my dad, and we always catch some greenbacks on the saskatchewan river. The first time we caught one we couldn't believe the color difference between other walleyes. I'm from SW MN, but now I'm going to college in Wahpeton. I don't know much about the fishing in this area yet, so I was wondering how far south do the greenbacks go? I'm not interested in keeping anything, but I wouldn't mind CP&Ring a big greenback. I'd assume that I'd have to go farther north, but I had no idea that they even come into the red.

In general the name "Greenback" is associated with the walleye that run from the Lake Winnipeg MB basin system. As I understand it, they get the distinct coloration from the limestone in the water on the main lake basin, and they gain a transluscent color of green...very striking. Hence the name Greenback.

As far as they run up river into the Red....for the most part just to the St. Andrews Dam as during the peak fall run the flow and gates do not allow much further migration to the South. Some do get past that point and wind up in the US section of the Red but the coloration will not last as they adapt to the river, they change to a more traditional walleye "look".

Even on the Canadian end of the Red you see what are called "River Walleye" as they look more like walleye you can find just about anywhere else in the country. Aparently these walleye stay in the river or marsh most of there life and do not gain the "Greenback" coloration. The lake run Greenbacks are different critters due to the enviromental adaptation...just plain VERY Kewl Eye's Eh. You will know one, when ya see one. They do grow huge, ><,sumo-eyes,> that eat very well.

Stu and crew can expand on this if they wish, much better than I can. I hope I helped a bit on your questions.

Quote:

9 days and counting Stu, cant wait to get back up and see you. Any reports? Hope its cold up there. See you soon. Nooner

Dom....thing's are really taking shape,there's been a lot of nice 'eyes making their way to the net and there's no reason why this trend won't continue!

See you soon!

Hadanooner: U better hurry up. Stu and I went out to shoot the breeze and enjoy the sun. Anchored about noon and within 5 min I had about an 8 lber in the net. Not to be out done Stu netted one about 10 minutes later that its twin. Several saugers and lots of fun. We only fished about 2 1/2 hrs but there are some real nice eyes being netted.

Not that I am trying to pump U up but it should be as good as last winter if NOT BETTER.

I may be able to bust loose from work this weekend Jim/Stu, anyone free to fish?

I'll drop a bug in Big Shanon's ear on the bite and see if he is free to scoot North.

Work today, off wed if you want to buzz me..that will be where I is.

Eh..I got a pair of #10's walleyes on jigs and Kermits on a local trib this week, plus many eater sized kitties. Love that shallow Kermit bite on jigs Eh...THUD...lots of fun.

jim i cant wait, i will be there this time tomorrow. i am so pumped, ed get your butt up there. Nooner

Hey nooner, I think I may know someone you know. Did you ever go fishing with a guy named Steve Zarr? He would have been a trouble maker/golfer type when you knew him...

Hello Nooner!

I believe I learned how to fish from you and Scoot, so if I am a bad fisherman what does that say about your teaching??

And yes I am a phenomenal golfer.....hee, hee! grin.gif

Funny, Slevy. I learned how to golf from you... what does that say about your teaching skills? smirk.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

BTW, why do you go by "Slevee" instead of "Slevy"? Didn't forget your old password, did ya?

Scoot, did you get my message I left ya? It's probably too late to head norht now? confused.gif I had heard thru the grapevine you were thinking of heading up, which was something I was thinking of doing as well. Better luck next time I guess.

Hopefully Nooner can post a few pics and show us what we missed.

Quote:

Scoot, did you get my message I left ya? It's probably too late to head norht now?
confused.gif
I had heard thru the grapevine you were thinking of heading up, which was something I was thinking of doing as well. Better luck next time I guess.

Hopefully Nooner can post a few pics and show us what we missed.

I think it's safe to say that Nooner will be posting some pic's when he arrives back home. I know that he and the rest of his crew "don't want to leave", but I know they'll probably be coming back as soon as the hard water season gets underway!

Stay tuned for the "Hadanooner" man's report!

What a amazing river. Once again the SUMO greenbacks were on the prowl. I just got home, so its nap time. We landed a 12.5, 10.2, 9.8, 3 8s, and 8 fish in the 5-7 pound range. Plus out limit of eaters. The other boat had 3 9s, and i think 4-5 in the 8 pound range. Saw many other 10-12s caight, some not released. Hopefully the new law will be in affect next year so they all have to go back. I have one word of advice, head north and call stu. Thanks agian stu for taking care of us, it doesnt get any better than lodging with a boat ramp within in ten feet of ya. That room is awesome, see you in a few months for some hard water. Once again i am amazed at how great of a fishery that river is. I will psot pics later. Nooner

Nope, I didn't get a message. Where'd you leave it?

I ended up going up there for a quick one day trip. I managed one walleye- 1 3/4 lbs. I had "the beast" on for about three seconds, but she spit the hook and I never got to see her. A buddy of mine caught one 12 lbs. 12 oz. on Friday- what a slob (I mean the fish)! Another buddy caught one 11 lbs. 14 oz. on Sat. Sun was tough fishing and they planned to fish today also.

Friday the jig bite started out good, but fizzled by noon. Cranks pretty much the whole time after that.

scoot-

i sent an email about my message to you. looks like i may have dialed the wrong # crazy.gif

I am new to the red i am going to school in grand forks UND i was wondering if anyone could point me to a decent spot near grand forks to find some eyes. i dont have a boat here so if some one nows of some decent shore spots near grand forks i would really appreciate the help. you can post here or email me at [email protected]

Duffer

I hate to give a tip to a UND fan, but I'll make an exception here. grin.gif It's no secret spot, so I'll post online-- go to the mid-town dam and fish below the dam (it's just off of Old Mill Road just N of Hwy 2). Jig/minnow, slip rig, cranks, jig/frog presentations should be the ticket regardless of where you are this time of year. Other areas to check out are the holes below major obstructions in the river, creeks/streams/tribs that meet the Red, county ditches.

Last, and most important- go Bison!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

BTW ivegotabite, I did get your phone message. Turns out my wife listened to it, saved it on the answering machine, and never told me it was there. Sorry about that.

scoot thanks for the tip and by the way i ant that big of a sports fan so dont worry about it. But our football team is 6-0. grin.gifsmirk.gifwink.gif

Quote:

Last, and most important- go Bison!!!
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I second that Scoot! Maybe I'm crazy but I think they may almost have a chance against the Gophers in another week???

Oh, don't worry about missing the message Scoot. Sounds like you left a day earlier than I would have been able to anyway. Maybe another time.

Quote:

scoot thanks for the tip and by the way i ant that big of a sports fan so dont worry about it. But our football team is 6-0.
grin.gifsmirk.gifwink.gif

There's still a football team up there? grin.giftongue.gifwink.gif