• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

IF you could live anywhere in MN...? Where would it be?

I am contemplating a move to the great state of Minnesota...I would love some opinions on places to begin my search...based on my below criteria, which is by no means all inclusive. But...some of the important items are...

My main criteria are as follows:

City/area population of 5,000-20000 people.

Premium ice fishing opportunity within 1-2 hour drives or closer. (My main outdoor passion is hardwater, but open water fishing, archery and motorsports are right there also.)

NOT "touristy", in a National Park, National Landmark, type way. Rural, local destination type tourism is a-ok.

Access to multiple use state/federal lands.

Decent real estate options...median home price below $200k

I dont care to be any closer than 2-3 hours from major city (over 250,000 people)

Help me decide, I promise to be a good neighbor!

--------------------

Mike

Kalispell, MT

<<><<

[email protected]

My Sponsors

LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!

(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

I am thinking of the area around Hastings .You will be close to the river for good summer fishing.Archery options are plenty,motorsports(stock cars)tracks are around to the south and many very good tracks in northern Iowa.You would have numerous hardwater options in this area and a couple hours to the north plenty more.

Another area that might do you well would be the town of Owatonna.Only thing I see you might not like would be you will be within a hour or so of the Metro.

Going by his criteria of not wanting to be close to a metro area and wanting to be close to forest land I'd think he would want to be north maybe alexandria, fergus falls, grand rapids something "Upa Nort, yaheydersureyoubetcha"

Well, according to your prerequisits!!!, I would have to say the Brainard/Baxter area would be right up your alley!! You have premium fisheries, ideal hunting, and of course, BIR, ( brainard international speedway), Plus, a couple hrs. north, you'll have Lake of the woods, and more hunting, and if you have to go "south", your only an 1 1/2 hrs. away from St. Cloud, or another 1 1/2, and you have the twin cities, if thats what your after, then there it is in a nut shell!!! Good luck in your decision, THE BUMBLE

MJHOWE I beleive it is Mike. If I were you, I would look very close at Bemidje to Grand Rapids area. You would be close to Red Lake, Lake of the Woods, Cass Lake, Leech Lake, and just a little west of there opens up to the farm country. I have a son in Grand Rapids area, and just love to visit there. If you would like more info and a contact for the Grand Rapids area, email me at clfscrft@nemontel. net

I would suggest the Park Rapids area. Hard water fishing is very good and hunting is pretty good too, but why would you want to move from Montana to Minnesota. My daughter lives in Whitefish. It's beautiful but I'm not a trout fisherman. I start experiencing jitters if I don't get walleye or perch fishing quite often. My wife says I'm pretty ugly if I don't get outdoors several times a week. I think it would be nice to experience elk hunting at the cost of $14 for a resident. For those of you that know me well, I don't need a response on that ugly comment.

I would agree with the Park Rapids area.

Notice no one has said anything even remotely close to SW Minnesota yet??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh, I kinda like it here in SW Minnesota. The pheasant hunting is good. The deer hunting is pretty good. If predator hunting is your thing, it is pretty good also. Fishing could be better, but I can drive to good fishing in 3 or 4 hours. That's not real great. Medical services are close, which is important at my age. The people of the area are friendly and there are few tourists that stay for long. We just don't have the scenic view of a multitude of lakes and forest.

I used to live in SW mn and liked it alot,, hunting was good.. fishing was gr8 if u know where to go and when to go...not only that but something bout the small towns its great raisin a family where u know u can count on a neighbor or 2 ina time of need smile.gif.. just my 2 cents worth

i moved to winona [southeast mn] in 1979 - would never leave

fish the river for all species all seasons - never closed [ice fishing is great] open water for all 12 months is just 60 miles north to red wing

deer hunting is great lots of state forest and trails

bluffs and fall colors are awesome

guess i'm biased!!

Hey Grumpy!

Well if you spent anytime in Whitefish, you know how touristy the area is. And I would rather fish for pannies and walleye than trout anyday. I am really a northerner at heart and I would not be south of i-94 ( I think its 94...) The time I spent in MN 2 yearsago was some of the most fun I have had in years, Bemidji, Black duck, upper red...then over towards Walker etc. Thats my kinda country.

Elk hunting is great in SW Montana, hard hunting in this part. More and more guys in the field with less and less ethic every year...I love elk meat but the cost per pound and time necessary to pursue them...I almost hunt elk exclusivley with a bow now, and its more about just being out there in SEP than actually killing one. I have one nice bull with a bow...so.

My main sporting passion is ice fishing...everything else is a far 2nd and beyond. I want to live where the ice season lasts the longest, and the tourist season is the shortest!!

I'd move just about anywhere in Western/SW MN. Somewhere between Ortonville and Lake Benton would be my choice if I were to move back. Good hunting, good fishing, and a sparse population. I HATE stop lights, crowds, and rush hour. I like living where I don't have to lock doors.

Yea, it is a little touristy around Whitefish. Can you believe all the money that comes in there in the summer and winter for that matter? The rich have pretty much destroyed the economy by throwing it so far out of balance.

The Bob Marshall is fairly close to get the wilderness experience and if you know the right people, it can be a wonderful experience. I'm a prairie guy at heart. I like seeing the sun come up and go down. I think I would still stay with my choice of the Park Rapids area for ice fishing. It's pretty good up there.