• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If you could live anywhere in MN, where would it be?

I am contemplating a move to the great state of Minnesota...I would love some opinions on places to begin my search...based on my below criteria, which is by no means all inclusive. But...some of the important items are...

My main criteria are as follows:

City/area population of 5,000-20000 people.

Premium ice fishing opportunity within 1-2 hour drives or closer. (My main outdoor passion is hardwater, but open water fishing, archery and motorsports are right there also.)

NOT "touristy", in a National Park, National Landmark, type way. Rural, local destination type tourism is a-ok.

Access to multiple use state/federal lands.

Decent real estate options...median home price below $200k

I dont care to be any closer than 2-3 hours from major city (over 250,000 people)

Help me decide, I promise to be a good neighbor!

--------------------

Mike

Kalispell, MT

<<><<

[email protected]

My Sponsors

LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!

(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

You could take your pick of anywhere from Brainerd north would fit your criteria. I live 25 miles north of Brainerd and I have 100's of lakes to fish in, and 1000's of acres of public land to hunt with in an hours drive of my house.

I would second the Brainerd area, we recently moved 10 miles south of Brainerd and absolutely love it, especially this time of year when the crowds slow down from the summer!

mjhowe,

Brainerd is OK if ya like traffic, tourists and expensive gas and food. I'd look at Milaca, Little Falls or Princeton. All have quality schools, housing in your price range and easy access to shopping in the St. Cloud area. One of the best hardwater lakes in the area is only a half hour drive away from any of these towns. Mille Lacs Lake!!!!! Suberb hardwater walleye, perch, tullibee and crappie lake. Plus a ton of public land to hunt on and a military reservation that allows bow hunting by permit. Good luck and welcome to Minnesota (we hope).

My advice would be to go farther north-Grand Rapids-etc.

I was born in Crosslake and have worked in Brainerd for

20 years.It has to many people,to much traffic,and to

expensive!!! Go north young man.

Dave

It would be hard to top the Nisswa/Crosslake area. Some of the best fishing in MN bar none year-round. Tons of real estate potential in this area. The top agents bring some dandy income. A nice family home in a rural setting or quieter neighborhood will start at around $180K. Lots of public land, forestry land, county, state land, it is all very abundant. Premium ice fishing is all around. From small area lakes to some of the best ice fishing destinations in the nation. Some of the best are Mille Lacs, Winnie, Leech, Gull, and numerous other secret gems. It is a little touristy, but that allows you to sell real estate during the summer and fish all winter. You would like it here.

Jason Erlandson

I live in Brainerd curently. But if i could live anywhere it would be Grand Marais way up on the North shore. Unbeleiveable scenery, nice people, good fishing and theres always some kind of festivity going on. When theres a lake breeze comin off superior, it could be in the middle of August and be 60 degrees. I love that place!!!!!

Try looking around the Hibbing, Chisolm, Virginia and surrounding communities. I live in Babbitt, it is a great little town. Not far from Lake Vermillion. Not far from the BWCAW. Right next to Millions of acres of federal land (Superior National Forest). Thousands of Lakes - walleyes, muskies, pike, crappies, lake trout, stream trout.

I grew up in the Brainerd area. It is a great place to live and it will always be in some way home to me, but I have gotten spoiled living up here.

I live about a block from slimy, and I'd have to agree with him. It rocks up here. Life is good. I do catch myself griping about the doofy tourists every week though(now that I'm a local)... If you have a wife like me that wants to be relatively close to a Target or a movie theater, than my house is perfect(25 minutes south to Brainerd) otherwise if you like a more hermit-like existance then Babbitt/Northshore is beautiful too.

I would live near fish or island lake north of duluth. Close enough to commute to duluth (25-30 min). You have the big lake (superior) and countless inland lakes full of fish. Miles and miles of state land for hunting. And it is definately not the tourist trap that the brainerd or alexandria areas are. plus if you like snow there is a lot of it.

i guess it kinda depends on if your retired? or still planning on working i grew up on the iron range up by hibbing virginia area and the fishing and hunting, there are many options, depending on what you do for a living up there you may need to comute a bit and dont expect high wages, i currently lice in st.cloud mn which is about 63,000 population, the fishing is ok depending on what you are lookingn for and only bout a hour to the twin cities

I would live near Bemidji. Smaller than Brainerd and a lot less summertime traffic. The lakes are amazing and not over fished by any means. Tons of state land to hunt. Close to Cass/Winnie/Leech/Upper Red/ and only an hour and a half from Lake of the Woods. Cheaper to live there than Brainerd too. But anywhere in northern MN is nice.