• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What did you see??

HunterLee

Saw a doe & two fawns in a hayfield about 400 yards out before the light mist turned to a more steady rain Saturday morning. I emptied my quiver, but never could seem to get that range down...

Last night I put my climber on a good creek crossing, saw two fawns cross about 40 yards away on a different trail, never saw momma. The wind was perfect, so not sure if she was just a little further in the brush or what. Watched a fox at about 30 yards, no shot. He went back & forth a couple times. He was chasing something the last time & then I heard squealing. Somebody must have become supper...

Was out Friday night and had a coyote come trotting past, couldn't get my bow up fast enough. He came trotting right up the trail that I had walked in on. Sun morning had a doe at 15 yards, bad part was she had surprised me and my bow was still hanging on its hook! When I tryed to lift it off, she heard me. In hindsite, I should have let her pass and then got the bow. Oh well.

I had a porcupine lumber thru on Saturday. I had never seen that before deer hunting, glad I wasn't bird hunting as I would not want to pull quills from the dog. Sunday morning was a great morning. It was clear and crisp and calm. Vultures were roosting in the trees around me so there was alot of wing flapping every so often as it got lighter out. Around 9 AM 3 does (maybe 2 fawns) run thru in front of me 10 yards out. I don't know what spooked them but they were running about 1/2 speed. I tried to whistle to see if one would stop but I couldn't get the whistle out. I didn't have any shots but it was a fun couple of hunts.

sitting in the stand last week for the first time this year and had 3 does come in, let them pass and about 15 min later I hear something off to my right I roll my eyes that way only to look into the face on a great horned owl. Don't know who was more surprised him or me, he was right next to me less than 2 feet away. Wow what a sight, that was probably the neatest thing I've seen in 20 yrs of bow hunting. He sat there and checked me out for about 2 min befor he flew off.

I do realize that all three of the big predators are around here. Just doing a bs experiment. The most recent was an account of slashes on the hind quarters of a full-grown horse the other side of Houston. Had to be a cougar.

Steve

haha thats a bunch of bs. sorry but what ive seen were wolves. it was about 5 miles out of town. im not the only person who seen wolves around the area. i do remember some kid two or three years ago shot a wolve while hunting and he got in major trouble with the dnr. soon your going to tell me theres no big cats or bear in the area too, right??

Yes we have wolves down in southern MN,The kid never got in trouble though the dnr just took it.Same as the 1 shot in Blooming Prarie 2 years ago by a coyote hunter.Another 1 was run over in whitewater last summer

Yes we have cats and bears heck even a moose or 2 will stroll down here.I been looking for the bear in 1 of the areas i hunt but not been able to

We called a cat in while coyote hunting in Iowa 3 or 4 winters ago.5 yards away and we never shot it cause we had no idea it was ok to

I have heard of those critters from some pretty reliable sources down in that area. I definitely remember the infamous moose incident from some years back. One way to tell if its a wolf or a coyote (other than size) is to look at its tail as it moves. A wolf will move with its tail straight out behind it. Steve, you wouldn't happen to be any relation to Brad Gorder. I played against him in high school sports. Pretty good basketball player and a heckuva pitcher!

FarbyondDrivn;

Yes, he's my youngest brother. Who did you play for? As for the other reply; I'm just trying to figure out what's really bs and what's not.

Steve

Went up to thief river last night to hunt with a friend didnt see much, but i had one doe rubbing her nose on my tree pegs. Boy they really are loud when they are sniffing the ground looking for acorns, sounded kinda like a vaccum. Anyone know if its true that deer stop eating acorns after 2 weeks on the ground, i was told that they turn sour and dont eat them after 2 weeks or so.

Quote:

As for the other reply; I'm just trying to figure out what's really bs and what's not.

Steve

Well Steve i'm sure the owner of this site can confirm Cats in are home town as a couple summers ago we had a couple right here.The police had 1 almost run into the squad car next to the cemetary it ran down the road for a block next to the squad car then off it went into the park.It was also listed in the paper to watch out for it along the straight river walk way as some people saw it feeding on a dead deer.1 of these cats had been using the culverts along the river to travel under the city.Some say that cat was last seen along the straight river headed south near little missle because it had a stub tail plenty of people had good looks at it

Several years ago a beer was run over on HWY 19 by the big steer.Several years back a moose came down this way hitting every news paper around.Then it disapeared 1 day in open farm ground.Well some deer hunter shot it put it in his shiot spreader and got busted for it.He said he figured it was a buck of a life time

2 years ago in Blooming prarie a wolve was shot by a coyote hunter.I'm prety sure the year before a different person shot 1 around that same area.DNR just took the wolves no action was taken.I'm sure 1 about 3 or 4 years ago also got run over on 52 or 56 North of Rochester

Do a search i'm sure you'll find plenty info out.Iowa has or had not sure for this year but it's an open season on cats.No lic or tags needed i found this out after we had called in a report on a cat

On HWY 63 south of Rochester there is a bear walking around a friends place at the moment.Been there all summer long.Also 1 between Rochester and Kasson been reported.I have not seen that 1 but i'ma lookin for it

Just a few weeks ago there was a tv show not sure what it was but it showed cats right down town St.Paul someone took a video clip from an office building about 10 stories up of a cat walkin around the parking lot.Another video clip of 2 yearling cats along the river bank from campers.

Times have changed houses being built all over the country side.Are hunting grounds/sleeping quarters and feeding areas for wildlife are disappearing.Animals are going to move to where ever they feel comfort and can find easy prey.Climates are changing as well.

And by the way.If you know Rich Smith of Owatonna he can confirm 3 bears at 1 time in my front yard on a daily basis.We even had the police up here ready to protect the neighborhood.1 bear was 8' the other 2 were about 150 pound scrubs.Bigboy 10'6" was looking out the window at the other 3 ooo.gif

1 bear was 8' the other 2 were about 150 pound scrubs.Bigboy 10'6" was looking out the window at the other 3 ooo.gif

Just curious if you are saying that you had a 8 foot bear and a 10 and a half foot bear in your yard. If you are the 8 footer weighed around 800 lbs and the 10 and a half would've had to be a griz. Wow! laugh.gif

westb

8' is a brown the 10'6 is a Kodiak the 2 scrubs are MN black bear.I would put them out in the yard.Throw garbage all over the place a shoe/t-shirt out on the side of the road with red paint all over it and tie a kite string to a tree and wrap it around the bears neck like it was tied to a tree

1 day an officer was dispatched to the house on a call there were bears in my yard.As the officer went around the corner i ran outside and moved all 3 bears to a different location.When he went around the block and came back to see the bears had moved he called in the rest of the squad for support.In all 5 squad cars showed up fully loaded 12 guage shot guns ready to blaze up my front yard.I yelled out the window(( Hey those bears been dead since 1986)) as they all shook there head and drove away my phone was ringing off the hook.Friends had heard the news.

I stopped doing it after someone ended up in the neighbors front yard driving by.Figured it was not worth anyone getting in an accident over.I could sit and tell stories for hours what people had did.

I'll tell 1 more as this 1 tops them all off.A jogger was coming up the street and he noticed the 8' brown about 6' from the curb looking straight at him with a wide open mouth full of teeth and a red stained T-shirt hanging from a tooth.He stood in aww for about 5 minutes looking.The wind had picked up enough to blow the hair around on the bear just enough to make it look like he had moved.So this guy takes off running the way he came from

Well about 20 minutes later he comes back on a bike with 2 friends.The 3 stopped about where he was the 1st time looking away wondering if they were real or not.Well i had a speaker set up out side with a brown bears roar on the tape and me yelling out the window look out here he comes while the bears roaring away.All the men dropped there bikes and took off running down the street never looking back

So i went out and got all 3 bikes and leaned them up against the garage thinking they will return.So just after dark i was headed outside to put the bears away and a knock at my door.Here it was the 3 men looking to pick up there bikes.I said yes your bikes are right over there against the garage door.Not even thinking about the bears still in the yard i turned on the light switch outside and when 1 guy turned to walk down the steps he saw a bear looking him in the eyes and he said oh know there back and all 3 men ran away

The next morning when i got up all 3 bikes were gone.Now i was thinkin maybe they came back or else someone had stolen the bikes.So knowing this guys jogs by here on a daily basis i waited and a no show.So i got in my truck and drove around to see him 1 street up.I had asked him if they got the bikes he stated yes but man i'm not going down that street any more it has bears on it and i called the police to let them know about the red bloody shirt.I sure hope the person got away from that mean azz lookin bear.

I said oh shiot look out here they come.You never seen someone run away so fast in your life.To this day i have never seen this guy again.I hope he finaly figured out they were not live bears

I take it these are full body mounts or what? Holy crap does that sound hilarious.

Your jogger friend isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the tree...

Back on topic of 'what did you see'.

Was out bowhunting last night, beautiful night to be out, cool, big clouds in the sky, then the sun would pop out, even had a few raindrops. Was entertained by a fox pup nosing thru the meadow for 1/2 hour, had two young bucks/4-6 pointers come out at about 50 yards and feed and spar a little. Eventually they wandered off - right by one of my other stands. Finally had several does and fawns wander out onto the meadow but none came by my stand, in fact they had me pinned, I had to wait til full dark to climb down.

With duck hunting this weekend, I probably won't get out til next week, was a nice way to end the week, even though I didn't get a shot.