• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse Hunting Report?????

Im at school in ely, so i tried it out up here... Stomped around after i worked today cause i saw alot of deer coming out after the morning rain so i figured the grouse may be out as well, saw 2 and only shot at one but missed. Didnt here from the people i talked to up here that they saw alot but heard reports of other areas saying that they saw the most theyve seen in awhile!!! Good Luck, and happy hunting!

Went out with my 8 year old yesterday and saw about 10 could have shot 6 myself. He shot at one standing infront of another one and missed and didnt even shoot at one later that he probably could have killed. I ended up with 2 birds on 2 shots. Didnt see anything this morning WTF???

Here's one that stood there like a fool hen right in the middle of the Stuart Trail today. Won't last long, I reckon. I saw six grouse today. Only shot this one. grin.gif

fanned.jpg

Steve,

Good thing you posted that pic.

I almost forgot what a grouse looked like.

I like to see and hear that the leaves are falling!

Hopefully hunting conditions should be good the first week of October!

--Mark

Great Pic Stfcatfish!!!!.. Hunted between Cromwell and Sawyer and only had 2 flushes. I tried a new trail for me, the GSP and I just enjoyed the walk.. Getting in shape to chase the Rooster's !!! grin.gif... Strat

Casey: Well, it took about six shots to nail this one (good thing I've got more than 400 shots before my "gun" is empty grin.gif). Then it flew away. Nice thing about photos, I can come back to them and relive the experience. Can't eat a photo for supper, though.

Really nice pic! We were out for an hour on Sat and had 2 flushes and 2 hours on Sun with 4 flushes. My hunting partner had similar number of flushes. Bird #s are decent, about a flush every 1/2 hour. Mostly, it was just great to be in the woods and watch the dog do what he was bred to do. Not sure who had more fun, me or the dog.

There are definetely birds this year. I thank God that not only do we live in premier grouse country, but that there is plenty of public land to hunt. i worked with a guy from New jersey and he commented on about all the public land up around here. He feels its potential development going to waste confused.gif

Typical Big City attitude. Cut up all the forest and make malls and Condos. We wont have any Grouse or any other animals if people like that have their ways. frown.gif

His attitude is the money from timber sales is not enough. He honestley believes that after they log, instead of allowing regeneration, they should parcel it up for houses and stores. He states thats alot of land off the tax rolls. Needless to say, he is not an outdoorsman

It might be land off of the tax rolls but the states do get money from the timber sales by the federal government.

The tourism dollars in the economy is also huge.

here is the proper response:

"If we logged it all off," I reply, "this country would not be what it is. It would be like the Twin Cities, commercial and residential, all covered with soybean farms and golf courses. Instead of this lovely unproductive forest we would have only another blooming garden state, like New Jersey. You see what I mean?"

"I see what you mean. Still, I wouldn't want to live here. So wild and forested. Nice for pictures but my God I'm glad I don't have to live here."

"I'm glad too, sir. We're in perfect ageement. You wouldn't want to live here, I wouldn't want to live in New Jersey. We're both satisfied with the arrangement as it is. Why change it?"

"Agreed"

We shake hands and my buddy from New Jersey goes away pleased, as I am pleased, each of us thinking he has taught the other something new."

(25 bonus points to the first to post the original author, may he rest in peace and forgive me for butchering his prose)

stfcatfish Nice photo glade you shared it nice to see there are some dumb ones out there? well there was one but I hope you had a good meal smirk.gif.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice photo Steve.

ThistelKicker, I'll guess Jackpine Bob.

Still more birds to be had. My first year bird hunting was the late 70's. Lots of birds that year. then it crashed in the early 80's. I was in the service for some of that time so i didnt notice. Then late 80s up again(anyone remember 1989 season?) Crashed in early 90's, picked up alte 90's crashed early 2000 and now seems to be picking up again. I feel like i am 12 years old again. this is my oldests sons first "up" season and he is enjoying it so far. He comes home, eats, then heads out till dark and then returns home to do his chores and homework. He has gotten at least one bird each outing, says he sees alot more. He didnt care too much for deer hunting but loves the ruffies. Thank God for ruffed grouse. grin.gif

Great pic Steve.

I can't wait to get a chance to have a few of those with a bead dead center. Did see one fly by tonight while in my treestand. Got a wedding this weekend so hopefully starting next week I will get some time to get out and chase a few around. And I did see a lot of birds a few weeks ago before season while scouting for deer. Should be a good year.

I took to the woods with my son and the dog for his first grouse hunt. We've been working on his gun safety along with shooting some clays this summer. I left my gun at home and let the kid lead the way with his 410. Instructed not to shoot at anything flying till he learns to identify safe and not unsafe shooting situations as they appear. Meaning when a grouse flushes he knows ahead of time if its OK to shoot or not. That takes time and will make him a safer hunter and quicker to the shot. I also held the shells and would give him one if and when the opportunity came about. That was fine cause, he was hunting.

As we walked we along we talked about gun control and best areas to find grouse. Jr asks what a grouse sounds like. I tell him sometimes they make a peep, peep when they get nervous and the sound or wild wing beats as they flush.

Not long after and Jr gets to hear the thunder. We watch the grouse disappear into the color of fall leaves against a blue sky. Would've been a easy shot for dad and some day a shot for Jr to take. We walk on, with Skeeter out front quartering for scent and flushing a few more grouse, a shot on the ground for the young hunter couldn't happen but I could no sooner leave the Lab home then the young hunter. I know what we needed and eventually it happened on the next flush. Skeeter kicks up a grouse "It landed in those balsams, do you see it?" "No dad, where". Fortunately for us the grouse feels safe and holds as we sneak into position for a better look. I hand Jr a shell, he loads his 410 and raises, I said "remember the targets you practiced on, hold it on and steady. " Jr is engulfed in an excitement hes never felt before. The bird falls to the ground and we high five followed a big hug.

fisrt%20grouse.jpg

I got a new hunt'n buddy!

Great job Jr. I know dad had his gun and you shot the bird before he could but we will let your dad keep his ego intact. wink.gif Nice job guys. Man the woods and lakes are awesome this time of year arent they?

Its beautiful and my favorite time of year. Downside is its going to get cold soon for a long time.

Great story and picture. I wish I would have had that time with my kids when they were that young. My job didn't allow me to do that since I was either on the road or working. I have picked it up though, and me and my new buddy Toby got 5 birds. He is a 2 year old Brit and I had a ball with him. He took off on me for an hour or so and luckily, another hunter found him when he heard me whistling and calling. I thought he was a goner. I had never shot over a dog before and got the most "what the h---" you doing looks when I missed a shot. All in all, A great day with a new friend. I sure wish I had taken the time with my boys to do what you are doing ST. I am envious of your memory.

ahhh...hunting in twig. just like when i was a kid. I have read alot of articles that claim a 410 only cripples grouse. I have hunted with 2 people who owned 410s. One had a beautiful sxs 410 choked I/c and modified. I never knew them to cripple any more birds than a guy who hunts with a 12. It doesnt take much to kill a grouse

Thanks Mike. My dog has given me that look more then once.

I'm lucky to have been able to spend that much time with the kids. You know you may have missed some of that time but you've been a huge positive influence and a lot of young men.

sachem longrifle, nice to meet a former Twig resident.

I reload the 410 with 3/4 oz @ 1200 fps.

Plenty of knockdown power for grouse, the only drawback with a small bore shotgun is a longer shot string.

Theres a lot of hardcore grouse and woodcock gunners that use a 28 gage.

Great story Surface Tension grin.gif My daughter is only 17 months old and I can't wait for a moment like that. But that gives me some time to learn the sport better myself so I can teach her. Way to go JR smile.gif I'm still waiting to get my first grouse. I just took up the sport 2 years ago and have only been out 4 times and shot at 3. My inlaws just moved to Ely in Aug. and I'm very excited to get up there more than the twice a year that I used to.