• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report for 9/16/17

croixeyes

Alright ,whos gonna be out tomorrow?Ill be working the bayport area for some eyes,saugs and crappies.Last week trolling cranks went very well.I expect the crankbait bite to continue this wknd as well.Will try a little rigging and jigging if the fish are hugging points.Sounds like the weather could be dicey.Good luck out there........... smile.gif

I'll be out in the morning, and will start out at the beach house and see what happens. I havn't been out ont the river lately so no idea whats a good game plan. Give me a call on channel 73 if you have a radio,(bobber)and we can exchange ideas. HTB

Sorry hitthebricks,I had to hitthehay and didnt see your post til now.Well there was a little more wind than I had planned for,so I pretty much stuck to trolling today.Started the day with an 18.5 inch eye within two minutes and then a nice yellow perch,after that I saw a bolt of lightening come down, so I packed up and headed back to the dock.After a little wait I headed back out and resumed trolling,things slowed down for me after that.A couple of saugers came boatside also a 6lb channel cat.A couple of my friends started trolling thru the Hudson no wake so I followed suit.As I looked out south of the 94 bridge I thought to myself....Thats some trolling water out there.Well about half way thru my first and only pass my trolling rod bent,and after about thirty seconds I knew it wasnt an eye on the line.After a long fought battle and with the help of a couple of my buddies on the net we brought a sow flathead in.We figuered the fish went between 45 and 50lbs,A few pics and sent her back down,man is that a blast.If I can figure out how to post pics on my confuser ill do it.Anyone else go out today?

Eh Mate! Seems like forever since I dropped a note on the Croix forum. More travel at work has kept me off the water a little more than I would like. The abundance of baitfish on the Croix has caused me to spend my fishing time in other places as well. The fall is here and it is time once again to tackle the points, shorelines, and transitions areas on the Croix. I will be out before the sun tomorrow. I hear it might be a rough, wet ride! No worries for me cause the big rigs are sure to stay in the marina. I have even seen a few already covered in plastic in on the shore! If you are out early look for the lights blasting through the darkness! I hope they are a little hungry anyway. I will be in Prescott first, Afton area second, and Hudson last! Take Care! grin.gifgrin.gif

I got all the bait for my trip up north on the 20th and I'll be on the river almost three hours before sun up, rain or shine, except for lighting. I'll be off the river by 8:30 unless it raining then I'll stay to 10:30, should be even better than last sunday grin.gif

Croixeyes and all, I made out early for me, 6:30. Tried no. of the swing bridge and caught 1 shorty, made it down by Beanies about 7:30, just before the first wave of heavy rain, caught a few more small eyes. Thought it was a good time to travel so. during the next wave of heavy rain, stopped at the Kinny narrows, no luck, Fished in front of the Bluff Marina and a few other spots in that area, caught a 18 and 20" but got tired of loosing rigs. Gave Prescott bridge a few passes but don't know that area at all so headed back no., stopped in front of the scout camp and tried out my new drift sock, 9',was able to keep a crawler rig nearly verticle with 1/2 oz. during 20-25 mph winds and 2-3+ ft waves, now I'm ready for Mille Lac in the spring. Maybe see you guys at the River rat tourney, I'm tring to make it. Good Luck HTB

Was on the river before four and left at 8:30. Went though 3 1/2 dozen redtails and brought home 4 nice eyes (16-18 1/2)and one good size cat I plan and putting on the grill later tonight. Caught all the eyes 8-14 feet, tried a little bottom bouncing as I was leaving not so much as a strike. Fish seem to be hungry, sure had a active morning.

Hey Walli1,

Sounds like a productive morn! Wasn't able to get out this weekend..bummer! Anyway, were you using jig/minnow or lindy style technique? I may be cruisin' down there mid week and was just wondering. By the way, I love bucktails in the fall and was curious if anyone has tried them recently? They should be hammering 'em pretty soon!!! Thanks for the report..as always!

Tuna grin.gif

All the fish I caught this morning were on redtails, #4 moon glow hook and a five foot snell,3/8 oz weight, last fish I caught at 7:20am, left at 8:30am.

I was up in Rush City for a get together at some friends of the family and managed to get out for about an hour. They live about a half mile from the Croix so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was throwing a Storm topwater plug and managed three Smallies, the best going 18.5 inches. Now I am hoping to get up there again soon and cruise the river in my River Ridge Custom and see what else I can find.