• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CALVINIST

A nice surprise on Tonka today...

CALVINIST

Me and a friend were out chasing muskies on Tonka today. I was using a Rad Dog and caught a nice 19" smallie. One that size on Tonka took me completely by surprise! I also caught a decent 31" gater on a Jiant Jackpot...it was awesome watching that thing launch completely out of the water hitting the J.J. My buddy caught two small ski's @ 26" and 36" (smallest I had ever seen on Tonka) and a bunch of dink gaters.

Anyone else ever catch nice smallies like that on Tonka?

JoJo

Calvinist...Repeat after me...

There are no Smallies in Tonka, there are no Smallies in Tonka. LOL

Found the sweet area didn't ya?

Jo

markkstanley

A few but like you it was always a surprise. The big smallies are there and from what I hear the population is growing but they are very difficult to target. I have two spots that usually produce a smallie in the fall but that's it.

CALVINIST

Quote:

Calvinist...Repeat after me...

There are no Smallies in Tonka, there are no Smallies in Tonka. LOL

Come to think of it, it did look more like a carp than a smallie... grin.gif

Carp-fisher

I had a bluegill contest with Carrie a couple of summers ago, and a giant smallie came up out of no where and latched onto her worm. The fight didn't last long and she was alittle ticked off that I didn't set her drag all that great...

KidWalleye

About 3 years ago I was Crappie fishing by Big Island when a 21 inch smallie took my bobber down. When I first saw it about 5 feet down I thought it was a carp. When it jumped I just about jumped out of the boat. I also realized it wasn't bass season yet. That is the only one I've caught on Tnka though. Kid

Deitz Dittrich

My largest Smallie ever came off of Tonka.. but that was almost 20 years ago now.

dsludge

While fishing for muskies on Tonka I caught this 19 inch smallie.

3_104.ts1144728692951.jpg

dsludge

Daze Off

Someone in our bass club weighed in twin 5 pounders at our tournament back in August - said he got them both from under a dock. No idea what the bait was.

Heard that at a recent tournament that someone actually brought a smallie up in their bag and the story was that everyone scattered like someone had let one rip - no one wanted to be anywhere near that fish.

Daze Off

blakjack23

Why wouldn't anyone want to be near a smallie?

Daze Off

Have to put them back immediately at this time of year or face possible consequences with DNR (catch and release only now). Apparently this guy did not know this and the others were afraid to be seen even in the vicinity of this fish.

Daze Off

EBass

LOL! It pays to know the regs!

EBass

Speaking of Tonka, I'm going there tonight (unless something comes up) I'll be fishing shallow as that's what I do. I'll post my results or lack there of tomorrow. tongue.gif

I'll be fishing alone in a green lowe 14' jon w/25H Merc. Say Hi if you see me!

Later

blakjack23

Ahhh....I missed the part about the tournament being "recent".

markkstanley

EBASS - east or west ? I'll be out rooting around on the west end. Think the front really put the fish down and the water is murky as can be but you never know.

EBass

East side Mark, Closer to home smile.gif

EBass

And I should've stayed home. I made it out for about an hour and just stayed in Grays bay. I was skunked, well I did have a 8" bass hit my 1 minus, but I yanked it outa the water on the hookset and it came off.

I found green coontail, and minnows with sand bottom and sparse rocks. NADA - I did see small sunnies around to. I dunno. I suck in the fall on lakes. Sticking to rivers until winter.

markkstanley

I started out chasing musky/pike but gave up and looked for crappies. Found some in 15ft depths off mid lake hump. Also got some small walleyes slow trolling plastics on the weed edges later in the evening. Bites were very soft had to watch my line to detect them.

Carp-fisher

Quote:

I started out chasing musky/pike but gave up and looked for crappies. Found some in 15ft depths off mid lake hump. Also got some small walleyes slow trolling plastics on the weed edges later in the evening. Bites were very soft had to watch my line to detect them.

Hey Mark, when do you start targetting those big 'eyes?

markkstanley

ALready started but the bite really doesn't kick off until we get water temps in the mid 50s. October is usually prime.