• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ND for opener

jblabsnduck

Anyone else going to ND for the non-resident opener(sept.30th)?

I am headed out there on the 29th to scout around and line up some fields for the second trip out in Oct.

Looks like I am going solo right now besides my two dogs going with me.

Should be a good time and I know there is a lot of birds around out there.(out there 3 weeks ago and birds where everywhere)

I was in North Dakota hunting sharptails last weekend and the geese were everywhere. They were sitting in big groups on the fresh cut feilds. Probably could have set up on the field edges with no decoys and had some good shooting when they flew over. I wish I would have brought a call with me.

I watched some locals drop a few out in the hay bails they must of had 200 decoys out. Looked like fun.

Quote:

There isn't going to be much for water this year. Field hunts are going to be the way to go.

There was still a lot of water where I was. And the lakes were loaded with ducks. Some parts of the state may be drier though. I was north of Jamestown about 50 miles.

yep, heading up next Friday and hunting Sat-Tuesday. The area we hunt has some large bodies of water so we are hoping for good hunting. Good luck to those going.

Well, I scouted yesterday around the Valley City area and found there to be plenty of water despite the dry conditions. The few potholes that are dry only help concentrait the birds to other sloughs. Lots of birds were seen, included a beautiful canvasback about 10 feet from the road in a slough. Thank God I get ND residency by going to school up here. I'll post a report as to how I do after the weekend.

Your bird numbers might drop fast after you post where you're goin. Lots of Sotas on here internet scoutin, better off keepin towns to yourself. Not tryin to be a smart a$$ or anything here, just friendly advice.

I go to school in Minnesota, and am originally from Minnesota, but f I have lived in ND and MN for over a year now can I get ND residency? , or do I have to choose between which state i want residency in? or how does that work? Thanks guys

I'll be going to ND later in Oct for a week. One of the things I've learned from the locals is to stay away from hunting the "roosting" water and focus on the field hunting. We do our scouting and find fields close to the roost water. I prefer field hunting over water and it is a blast. The best way to anger the local folks is to bust roosts.

It's a hard act to follow in Mn. Different geography. However, that said, I've some farmer friends in Mn who never hunt their water. They set up in fields close by and do seem to have good hunting the entire season. I know it is hard to compare hunting in ND versus Mn. It's a apples and oranges kind of thing but food for thought.

I hear ya Flick. I'm not one to give areas away, and do usually post with caution. I will say either Valley City or Jamestown in most of my posts, being very vague as to a specific spot. It could mean being as far away as 40 miles in any direction from the 2 main cities.

As for opener, the 4 of us filled on mallards and Gad's in a short time. Conditions were perfect. After a great dinner that night, Sunday brought on a more difficult challenge with bluebird skies. The bird were flying much higher and were very wary coming into the deaks. The two of us did manage to take 5 greenies, and 3 gad's. It was a blast really having to work the call getting them to commit. We has a group of mallards circle the deaks for an honest 10 minutes before finally locking in.

As a Sota boy smile.gif I am interested to hear more about the roosts, and what the locals call a true roost. I.e. I know we did bust one a few years ago, that was a big one that got us great hunting the one day, that was it. So I did learn from a mistake.

But is it the number of ducks there, or the size of the water? Combo of both? We hunt with farmers, so obviously locals, and they help point us in the direction, either field or pothole. Ususally we hunt fields, but some of us just like water. So I go to small water that usually just has a dozen or so ducks sitting, and pluck them off as they return in twos and threes. I don't imagine that is considered roost busting, but honestly am not sure.

I am used to MN, where we use boats on big lakes, and the potholes where we go in NoDak is totally different. I don't want to pizz anybody off, but do want to hunt over water.

Advice? Thanks guys,

-Box

When you see a roost you will probably know it is. If it is the only water in the area thats full of birds, thats a roost. When you see birds coming off of a body of water, go out to feed, then fly back to that water, thats a roost. There is no set number of birds or size of water that defines a roost, just use common sense when thinking whether or not to hunt it. And if you cant decide, then dont!

Yeah, then that one time we did blow one away, learned from the very next morning. But all other times we were hunting small bodies of water, and actually the other water all around us had birds as well. But I get your point. Thanks.

Unfortunately, not everyone has access to hunting land or

the equipment required for field hunting. I have NEVER

had a local tell me to stay off the water, just a "special"

group of residents that are loud mouths on the ND website

spewing their logic! If you have to hunt the water, keep

it too the mornings and stop pounding the birds all day

long. Look for transition water from roosting and fields.

Problem, most of the transition water has dried up.

So, if you have no choice but to hunt the roost, keep it to

the mornings and let the birds rest the remainder of the day. Alternate bodies of water if possible.

Last, keep in mind ND new bag limit rules. Identification

will be a must! Only one hen mallard or pintail or canvasback per day.

Quote:

Your bird numbers might drop fast after you post where you're goin. Lots of Sotas on here internet scoutin, better off keepin towns to yourself. Not tryin to be a smart a$$ or anything here, just friendly advice.

Well maybe all us "Sotas" should stop posting fishing reports for western Minnesota so North Dakotans don't catch all the fish. confused.gif

There are plenty of places to hunt and fish in both states.

By meeting new people and sharing information from this site It's usually beneficial for both parties.

I now have friends in neighboring states that invite me on trips and I invite them on trips that neither of us would have had the opportunity to do without sharing information and getting to know each other.

HAHA take it easy there "Koldfront Kraig". Look at where im from.......MN. Im just giving the viewpoint of a North Dakotan. I've lived here for a few years and know how to hunt ND......many people from MN do not.

And as far as posting fishing reports, why would you? I personally dont have to post what I catch to feel better than somebody else.

Have you ever looked at how many people are reading these forums yet never post on them? These people are looking for any kind of info they can get. This site used to be way better but is now getting too popular in my opinion. This goes with all hunting/fishing websites. If you want your area to get raped by people, then post how your doing.

Flick, first off I wouldn't say MANY people from MN don't know how to hunt ND. To ANY waterfowler that has a brain knows not to bust a roost, it is not just a MN thing when people are dumb and do that.

I was in ND a few years ago and watched some LOCAL ND residents bust a roost. JACKS???? Yes. from MN? NO!

That stuff happens everywhere, I don't care what state you live in. Just because you live and hunt in ND doesn't make you a better hunter than the rest of us.

I am not trying to start a wizzing match with you I am just pointing out the facts, that is it.

Nd have good hunting?? YES!!!!!!!

I just hope you are not one of those peolpe that get mad thinking we are coming over and shooting YOUR birds.

Yes, you need to scout and Yes SOME people do it on the net but others such as myself will put on a couple hundred miles looking for the birds when we get there. Like I will be doing tommorow when I get there.

Easy JB....

Flick is just trying to help, and everything he said is true. I, like flick am a MN turned ND resident, and I'm sorry, there are many people from MN that don't know how to hunt ND. That is not to say you are one of them, or that we are better hunters than them.

For whatever reason, ND people, (and I admit I am like this also) are very protective of what they have when it comes to hunting. I basically won't take anyone who is on a site like this hunting unless I know I can trust them, because its just a matter of time until I show up scouting and there's 10 trucks watching fields in an area that usually is quiet. If that makes me or us selfish, so be it.

I wish all of you good luck if your coming to ND this fall, and honestly, unless you have confirmed reports that the water you'll be hunting is in good shape, leave your boats at home. You'll thank me once you get here if you don't check ahead.....

Bigten, see my post didn't come across they way I wanted it to.

I am not mad by any means at flick. I just don't like when people point the finger at a guy from MN and then group us all together.

Yes, what he says is Very true.

BUT like I said it happens EVERYWHERE no matter what state you are from.

I watched two trucks full of ND residents surround a small roost pond and they blasted the heck out of the birds just after legal shooting.

Was it a roost? Yes. we watched about 1000 birds pile into it the night before and then we watched about 1000 birds get out when they started shooting minus a few birds.

Stupid people live in every state.

Trust me, I like the info I get from hunting sites but I would NEVER even ask for a specific spot just a general area(like how is SE ND water looking?)I have been told not to bad but you have to scout around and that is our plan

Good luck you you.

I have to agree that you can't generalize based on the fact that a hunter is from MN--I'm sure there are plenty of hick hunters in ND who don't know squat about hunting also. With the number of hunters out state has you need to realize that there are going to be some idiots out there who ruin the reputation of many. I will be making my first trip to ND this fall--hunting field and water depending upon where we think we can have the best hunts and can't even wait.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend.

~SA/wdw

I'll just throw in that appreciate the info I get here, and it does help everybody. I don't want spots or anything like that.

I have been hunting NoDak for 4 years or so, and I will say that the first year I was there it was new. That didn't mean I was "stupid", it is just different than what i am used to. I mentioned I did blow away a roost - does that make me a horrible hunter? We didn't do it again, and learned. That is why I asked the question above.

Maybe it might help to talk to people you see going into roosts and educate them - maybe they will be arses, but I bet more than not they will appreciate learning.

And maybe they will tell you that the farmers told them to go and shoot them all up. That happens too.

Anyway, I thank everybody for letting me learn more, but I can assure you I am not a "stupid Sota hunter". We scout the first day totally, and plan where we want to go. And we don't bring boats, even though in MN I hunt divers mostly. We all want good hunting, and old timers I hunt with (I am getting there as well) have long ago taught us to push the the birds out without shooting them, and take them as they come back in small groups. We don't shoot at big flocks in "Sota" either, just the small groups, for the very reason you mention.

Anyway, have a great season, and I am looking forward to coming to your great state and having a great time - and we take good care of the land, the ducks, and our friends their, to the best of our ability.

Hopefully you guys all have good hunts, I'll be crossin the border the other way and hunting MN this weekend....