• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wind opinion

9joey1

It says tonight the wind will be around 15mph from S, Se, is that too much to fish in if we stick to trolling around Cove/Izatys? We were thinking about going up around 7:00 and fishing till midnight. I just do not want to drive all the way up there and then not be able to fish..... Thanks for input Joe

They are talking more like 20 to 30 now through saturday. But you can launch out of the calm side like was mentioned above and be alright as long as you dont get to far out beyond Mazominee point outside of Cove Bay.She'll probably get a little rugged from Spirit island north i would imagine.

I have not been on this lake in windy conditions, how big are the rollers in a 25 mph wind? according to iwindsurf.com it is supposed 22 knots. 22 knots = 25 mph. tomorrow night...all night. I am sure I will end up going no matter what, I have not had my boat in really rough water yet.

6 footers??? laugh.gif

Mille Lacs cannot physically produce 6ft waves with 25mph winds. I know that those waves look menacing, especially when you're sitting in the middle of one with your boat, but 6 feet they are not. I have never witnessed 6ft waves caused by wind on this lake (launches maybe). Not to say it cannot happen but it would probably require a sustained wind of 50mph+. The lake is just not deep enough nor wide enough.

If the wind is 25-30 mph all day, expect 3 (maybe 4) footers. However, don't underestimate a 3 foot wave on Mille Lacs.

You can plug in wind speed into this equation to find a good wave size estimate: http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/staffpages/csherwood/sedx_equations/RunSPMWave.html

(Use http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/ to convert to metric units)

i was outside cove bay on the sunday after opener 2005. the wind was coming from the north. my fishing buddy later told me there was 25 to 35 mph winds when we were out there. he almost got seasick and never has before. some of those waves were between 6 and 7 feet...the biggest i have ever seen on mille lacs. ive had experience in lake superior too. however, it was a completely different obsession then...scuba diving. the biggest i have been in there are only 8 footers. i had a 12ft zodiac w/25hp... superior and mille lacs are very different and similar in some ways...it just depends on where you are on the lake. everything may have been just right that day for where we were. the wind was coming from a direction of deep water (for mille lacs) and we were fishing not too far from shore.

im wondering where ill be fishing saturday if the winds are 20 mph, where it might not be crowded.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I am pretty sure they can get pretty close to 6' waves.. I was fishing on the north shore in approximately 8' of water over the sand last year. The wind was out of the south 25mph -35 mph. My boat runs in approxmiately 18" of water, when we would come down off a wave, my prop would hit the sand... I would say that is pretty close to 6' waves, guess I didn't have my tape measure to get an accurate measure.. I am 100% positive that Mille Lacs can produce 6' waves...

Actually seeing what a 6' waves looks like from living and workin on Lake Superior, i have never seen anything like that on Mille Lacs. I would say if the wind is 50 mph + there may be a chance. I would say 4'ers aren't real uncommon on Mille Lacs by any means. If i remember correctly when it is realy windy up here for an extended period of time we'll see some waves around the 15' range in canal park. It's pretty cool!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I fished the north end last Thurday (9/14) and the waves were 3 footers. It was a steady 20mph blow. Occasionally, you would get a pair of rogue waves that exceeded the 3 foot mark. I am sure 6 footers happen, but I cannot imagine how hard the wind would be blowing. I intend NOT to find that out. Now, the south end of Leech in a hard north wind is a whole different story. Anyone that has experienced that knows what I mean.

Ray, ya I know what you mean about Leech. The only time I have ever tethered off(outside of a tournament) was the south side of Leech. I should not have been out. The outboard on my Ranger was clearing the water. Being out in waves like that make you want to update your will.