• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
USPENAMC

RJD memorial hardwood state forest info

USPENAMC

have you hunted here before?

if so what?

is it crowded?

what has been your success?

good and bad experiences?

im trying to see if i should change my hunting area spot?

irvingdog

LIKE A SPOOKY GHOST-TOWN!!! No noise. No rustle in the leaves. No twigs dropped from the branches. There should be something stirring, but there isn't.

And the small game hunters have shot everything in sight. Everything.

One of the saddest pieces of state land I've ever seen since the Metro-dome.

Knute78

I am assuming Richard J. Doer Memorial State Forest is what you are refering to in SE MN. There are a ton of public hunting opportunities in this area of the state. I am sub-contracted to do work for the DNR and I get the opportunity to work in this large area of state land almost daily. I know of many large bucks, grouse, squirrles, etc... taken off of these lands if you put in the time in the off season and scout before and after the season. Like all public areas some areas get pounded and others are basically a little peice of "private" forest you have all to yourself. I'd suggest getting into areas where there are no ATVs etc... allowed and give yourself plenty of time to walk to find a spot you may have just to yourself. Get away from the lots as far as possible, a gps may come in handy. It is very easy to get lost in some of the larger tracts of the forest.

irvingdog

Ummm....yeah. I don't know why I thought you were referring to Namadji state forest.

Musta had a beer or two last night.

Anyways, the Dorer state forest is amazing. If you shoot a deer, expect to drag it up one hill and down another. Not much flat land. As stated, it's divided into many, many "units". Get a PRIM map, they are invaluable. Many tracts of SF land down there are land locked and all but inaccesible. Others look like private land, but are not. It's really strange that way. Scouting is critical. Locals have plenty of this land "squatted", and ready for their own use. The up-side is that many of the locals down there are "salt of the Earth". Attempt to build and nurture a relationship. (start this year for next. Don't come across as the guy who shows up the night before the hunt and wants to be thier best bud) They can frequently grant access to some neat stuff. Remember, the best hunting is often along the edges of agricultural land or swamps near them, not deep in the old growth state forest land.

I just put my best tips out there on the internet.......

USPENAMC

Thank you Gentlemen for this good news after the first reply about it being a ghost town i was kind of dissapointed glad to see he was thinking of another place thank you for your information its very valuable to me.

Sincerely,

dave