• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
snapcrackpop

Bow hunt within city limits?

snapcrackpop

Didn't find any specific info from a search of past topics.

Is there any MN Statute against discharging a bow or hunting within city limits?

Or is it up to each individual city to have their own ordinance?

cliffy

Its up to the particular city or jurisdiction. Most cities have some type of ordinance against shooting within city limits...they might call it a firearm in the ordinance..but read the definitions closely and you will more then likely see it covers bows, cross bows, pellet guns, paintball guns.etc.

Just give your local PD a call...they should be able to tell you. Believe me, it’s a pretty common call.

lawdog

Yep a municipality can't regulate hunting directly as that's the State's job, but they can, and almost all do, regulate shooting anything (bow, gun, pellet gun, etc.)within the city limits.

Deitz Dittrich

There are some cities in MN who do open up bow hunting in city limits for herd control. In every situation you need to take a class and also need a snipers lic/cert. To prove how good a shot you are as they dont want wounded deer walking around. I have my snipers cert, and have done a few of the city hunts.. but they can be very difficult as many of the deer are very noctournal.

In all cases you still have to follow all game laws and usually quite a few more.

snapcrackpop

So if the city does not have an ordinance against discharge of a bow/weapon, then you're clear to go?

Most cities have their ordinances online.

Mankato has an ordinance against shooting within city limits, but others do not.

I read "city x's" ordinances and didn't see anything listed...

I would prefer to not call "city x" and "ask for permission", because that's a roll of the dice.

I just want to avoid doing anything illegal.

Deitz Dittrich

If your intension is not to be illegal.. I would then call city hall and ask the rules. Ignorace of the rules is not an excuse to not follow them. Its up to you as the hunter to know the rules.

fishermn

A number of the city hunts are also listed in the MN hunting Regs (but not all of them...). Mankato has one listed there, as does New Ulm.

Its not really a roll of the dice. Its either legal or its not, and that may be the only way to find out.

Also, remeber, there may be regulations regarding where it is legal to discharge a firearm or bow as well. (setback requirements)

tjm

Not sure what city your talkin about but all the ones around are area have no bow hunting as i have checked into it already.We have several nice bucks on the north side of town.No houses no buildings for a 1/2 - 3/4 mile all woods/crop field yet still off limits to bow hunting

Couple years ago a guy got busted where i'm talking about.2 different times weeks before he was busted it was in the news paper in big black bold letters.No discharging a bow in city limits.Also gave the city limits map and where to purchase 1

Few small towns i checked into as well.Some have population of 20 people and the city limits is huge way off from any buildings and yet same out come

Just because you cant find anything dont make it ok to go.I dont think it would be an escape route to get outa a ticket.As a hunter it's your duty to know the rules

If you find a city you can hunt in the city limits the next thing is to look at would be is this a park thats not been marked as 1 by sign.For years i knew a place at the time was bordering city limits.Half the woods was in city limits the other half was not.The map showed a red line going through the woods so your guess was as good as mine where it actualy was

I later found out that the 1 half was indeed a park that was not marked as 1.I also found out my stand was in the park when the game warden came banging on my door.This was 15-20 years ago i did get my stand back with no tickets.Only reason i did not get a ticket was the game warden at the time was hunting not far from me.to this day i still have no idea where the park actualy is but that was enough to make me hunt else wheres

snapcrackpop

Cliffy, yep checked that already, only painball and BB guns listed. No mention about guns, bows, weapons, etc.

TJM, I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say about the "park not listed as 1..."

Do you know of any town (other than Mankato, New Ulm, listed in DNR regs) that allows bowhunting?

Have you ever asked a town/city hall and they said, "Yea, go ahead."?

If a city does not have an ordinance against discharging a bow or "dangerous weapon" and park rules don't exclude hunting, what else is there to check? Again, I don't want to break any rules, but I don't want to let them know if they have a "loop-hole" either.

If I am lucky enough to have found a city without the ordinance phohibiting it, I don't want to point it out to them so they can make a new one (and they will) for next year.

What else besides the ordinances would make it illegal to hunt within the city limits?

Apart from that, I am most concerned about a deer running out onto the road or having someone watch me drag a deer back to the truck. No risky shots for sure.

I appreciate your input and concerns.

Froggy4371

Quote:

Apart from that, I am most concerned about a deer running out onto the road or having someone watch me drag a deer back to the truck. No risky shots for sure.

I appreciate your input and concerns.

If that is a concern I would like to know what you plan on doing if you could find a spot to hunt and did shot one. How do you expect to get the deer back to your truck if you do not want to drag it? Just a thought???

Froggy

cliffy

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. Contact the local PD. Ask to speak with someone with stripes or bars...(Boss). Tell them what your thinking and MAKE SURE there are no laws against the use of a bow within city limits. I would also suggest getting the Officer's name..perhaps business card...in case of trouble later.

2. Contact the local CO and tell him of your idea and the fact that you already spoke to Sgt. or LT. so and so and there was no legal issues concering the discharge of a bow..etc. Tell the CO you are just double checking to see if there are any other concerns you should be aware of...etc.

3. Perhaps contact the city park manager and tell them you already spoke to Sgt/LT and the local CO and see if they have any info.

Its my guess that pretty much every city has delt with this issue and has clear cut rules...either for it or against it. I guess if it was me, I would want to know for sure that its ok to do it....and have a couple of names to drop if someone makes a complaint...etc.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.......

Cliffy

Deitz Dittrich

Very good advice Cliffy!

snapcrackpop

Cliffy,

thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

I have a copy of the ordinances and it only lists BB guns, paintguns, etc.

Frogggy,

I can drag it out and I have a deer cart, just want to be as discreet/quiet as possible.

I have also heard about having a small sheet of plywood with a hole and rope on one end. Tie the deer's neck or horns (hopefully) to the board, prop the board up to the tailgate and then lift the other end like a stretcher/cot and slide him in.

Froggy4371

Snap shoot me a e-mail and I might be able to give you some more insite on what you are looking to do. I am from the Mankato area and happen to be one of those people with stripes or bars. willsphillip at hotmail then at the com thing

Froggy

Powerstroke

Sounds like your BBgun/paintball ord. is a newer one and the ones you are looking for a much older. I cannot believe that there is no ord about discharging a firearm within city limits but there is a paintball gun law. Highly unlikely. Call the local PD I'm sure tey will know exactly what the rules are. You will not win anything by trying to trick them.

I am hunting city hunts almost exclusivly this year and every city has an ord. no matter how big or small. I have never found a town that has no ordinances about discharging a weapon. They all spell out in lawyer speak about firearms and bows, sometimes all inclusive as weapons.

snapcrackpop

message sent.

Recieved?

snapcrackpop

So I checked with a lawyer and he couldn't see any specific laws against it either.

I checked out the park boundries.

Finally gave in and talked to one of the police officers, luckly he is a hunter too.

He said he knows of a few individuals who hunt within city limits, but on private ground.

So unoffically he said go ahead, but be quiet about it.

From what I understand there are no big bucks there anyways, but could be fun going after the does.

Probably will be a new ordinance next year from all my poking around.

Thanks for your help guys.

InSearchOf

There are some cities that, with landowner permission, you can hunt with a permit that you can obtain for a fee from the city. Also, you must be x number of yards from a building/road/etc. I know this as my father-in-law currently has this situation in a northern metro city. So as many people have said, best to call the city and ask...that is what they are there for.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Andy Locken
      Anyone have current reports on the west end of the lake? Heading up there tomorrow. Gonna lodge at polleys so I'd prefer the west end. 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Thanks for the tip on 3M 5200.
    • chaffmj
      Nice fish! Were you able to get a weight and length?
    • chaffmj
      Thanks for the replies and the helpful tips. I will keep after them but I hope it is not 16 seasons before I catch one. 😁
    • Rick
      Counties collect Payment in Lieu of Taxes for state-owned land not subject to property tax Minnesota’s 87 counties are the beneficiaries of $35.7 million in aid that helps support public lands and provides a critical link in the state’s public recreation system, according to the Department of Natural Resources. Annual payments for Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT), a property tax relief program that offsets revenues not collected on public lands, recently were distributed by the state’s Department of Revenue. Counties have received PILT payments annually since 1979 in place of property taxes on 5.6 million acres of state-managed lands and 2.8 million acres of county-managed tax-forfeited lands. Dollars for the payments come from the state’s general fund. “PILT payments are an important source of revenue to those Minnesota counties and townships that have public lands within their borders, but the benefits of public lands go far beyond these payments,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr. “Public-owned lands contribute significantly to local economies by supporting timber and mineral production while providing wild places for recreation and tourism, habitat for hundreds of species of fish and wildlife, and important ecological services like clean air and water,” Landwehr said. “These public-owned lands are part of the social and economic fabric of Minnesota. Counties received anywhere from $18,346 in Red Lake County up to $3,792,466 in St. Louis County. The 2018 PILT payments represent a $3.6 million increase over those made in 2017, largely due to legislation that increased the per-acre payment from $1.50 to $2 per acre on nearly 7 million acres of natural resources lands and county-managed tax-forfeited lands. The state makes PILT payments on public lands including state parks and forests, school trust lands, scientific and natural areas and wildlife management areas, Consolidated-Conservation lands as well as county-managed tax-forfeited lands. Payment rates vary according to land type and range from $2 per acre, to the greater of $5.133 per acre or three-quarters of 1 percent of appraised value. Payment for Lake Vermilion Soudan Underground Mine State Park is assessed at 1.5 percent of the appraised value of the land. St. Louis County Commissioner Frank Jewell of Duluth thanked legislators for their recent boost in PILT payments to counties. “We are blessed with an abundance of public land in St. Louis County, but those lands are exempt from county property taxation,” Jewell said. “PILT helps reduce the strain on county budgets by replacing some of that uncollected tax revenue. It’s a very positive development for our county and decreases the property tax impact on our citizens.” A breakdown of PILT payments for each county is posted on the Department of Revenue website at www.revenue.state.mn.us/local_gov/prop_tax_admin/aclb/pilt_bycounty.pdf More information about Minnesota’s public land portfolio, PILT payments, and a brief history of major public land transactions is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/publiclands.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Charles Perry, of Winona, has been named the 2017 DNR firearms safety volunteer instructor of the year. He has been a longtime advocate for firearms safety and outdoors education and a certified instructor with the DNR since the early 2000s.  Perry, who is president of the Lewiston Sportsmen’s Club, works tirelessly to encourage youth involvement in the outdoors. (Pictured: Enforcement Regional Training Officer Chelsie Leuthardt and Chuck Perry.) Along with a teaching team of at least 14 other instructors – many of whom he recruited – Perry teaches both traditional and online firearms safety courses. In addition, he leads a “Kids in the Outdoors” program, assists with two high school trap-shooting teams, organizes and teaches a program aimed at introducing archery and outdoor safety to kids, and has provided individual firearms safety days for youth who weren’t able to attend group classes. “The time and effort that Perry puts into his classes and outdoor education for kids in general is staggering,” said Tom Hemker, the Winona-area conservation officer who nominated him for the award. “He does everything. He wants to give back and mentor others in the outdoor activities he’s always loved.” Known as the go-to person in his community for questions about safety education or organized outdoor activities, Perry has taken kids hunting who don’t come from hunting families but have shown an interest in the outdoors. He shares his knowledge about places where people can hunt and shoot and constantly looks for ways to spark in kids a connection with the outdoors. During the winter, for example, he’s organized events that revolve around hunting for shed deer antlers. “We all need to do our part to ensure the continuation of our proud tradition of hunting and conservation, and Chuck is a shining example of the difference that dedicated and motivated individuals can make,” said Capt. Jon Paurus, safety training education manager for the DNR Enforcement Division. “The commitment he shows to youth education is vital in a changing society where fewer people have a strong connection to fishing, hunting and the outdoors.” More than 4,000 volunteer instructors teach DNR firearms safety courses across the state, certifying annually an average of about 24,000 adults and youth. Since the firearms safety program began in 1955, more than 1.3 million students have been certified. DNR firearms safety certification is required of anyone born after Dec. 31, 1979 to buy a hunting license in Minnesota. Youth age 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate, which becomes valid at age 12. For more information on the dates and locations of available safety courses, see mndnr.gov/safety/firearms/index.html or call 800-366-8917. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      All-terrain vehicle users registered for private or agricultural use can explore both the old and new trails without cost Sept. 7 to 9. Typically they would pay the registration fee ($60 for three years) to ride the public trails.  Minnesota has 3,000 miles of state forest and grant-in-aid trails available to ATV users. The state also has more than 200 miles of new trails that were completed this year. Out-of-state riders can explore Minnesota ATV trails that weekend as well, without the need for a nonresident trail pass ($30 annually). This is the fifth year that Minnesota is providing ATV riders with free access during “No Registration Weekend.” The date was pushed back from June so new trails could be completed, including the 159-mile route connecting communities in northwestern Itasca County, as well as a trail connecting Balsam and Bigfork. “The September weekend gives us a great opportunity to introduce a wide variety of state and grant-in-aid trails across Minnesota,” said Mary Straka, off-highway vehicle (OHV) program consultant for the Parks and Trails Division at the DNR. “There are a large number of privately registered ATVs across the state. During the No Registration Weekend, ATV owners can check out the public trails for free.” Minnesota’s two newest trails are: The Alvwood to Squaw Lake trail, which makes a 159-mile scenic tour through Bowstring State Forest and the Chippewa National Forest. Enjoy the many communities along the route. The trail is provided by Itasca County and the Alvwood-Squaw Lake ATV Club. The Bigfork to Balsam (B&B) 33-mile trail is full of diverse northern landscapes.  It connects to the Little Moose ATV Trail off Co. Road 336. Other recreational favorites include these: The Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area, a 1,200-acre OHV park in Gilbert with 36 miles of scenic trails for riders of all abilities. The 100-mile trail system in Nemadji State Forest, which connects to the Matthew Lourey State Trail and the Gandy Dancer Trail. The 29-mile Spider Lake trail system in Foot Hills State Forest, where riders will curve around lakes and ponds, go up and down a variety of hills, and view overlooks from the ridges throughout the forest. The 200-mile Northwoods Regional Trail System in Aitkin and Itasca counties, where riders will use the Soo Line Trail to connect to local communities and trail loops. Safety training is recommended for everyone that operates an ATV. It is required for ATV riders born after July 1, 1987. Children under age 18 must wear a DOT-certified helmet. Children age 16 and under must fit the ATV they are operating and be able to properly reach and control the handlebars and reach the foot pegs while sitting upright on the ATV. Trail maps, updates on trail conditions, Youth ATV Safety training and other OHV information can be found online at www.mndnr.gov/ohv. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Educational displays, exhibits, presentations, and music and entertainment highlight the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ annual exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair, which runs Aug. 23-Sept. 3 in Falcon Heights.  This year’s theme, “Public lands, owned by you, managed by DNR” will be showcased with a Legacy Amendment 10th anniversary tribute. “We are shining the spotlight on public lands because we know Minnesotans truly value them for recreation, conservation and their economic benefits,” said Dawn Flinn, who helps coordinate the DNR exhibits. The DNR State Fair log building opened 84 years ago; its park-like location provides fairgoers with a great opportunity to experience the outdoors in the midst of carnival rides and food stands. “It’s a popular state fair landmark, meeting place and must-visit destination that has helped generations of people create life-long memories,” Flinn said, adding “Minnesotans are passionate about the state’s natural resources. This is a great way for us to spread the word about how interesting, important and exciting nature is.” The new Legacy Amendment exhibit in the DNR building will provide visitors with an actual red carpet treatment, and features a children’s play area as well as information on the many ways Legacy funds conserve and improve public land. Informational displays show how Legacy Amendment dollars are spent, but visitors can choose a lighter activity, such as having their photo taken on the red carpet. Other displays inside the DNR building include state parks and trails, wildlife, rocks and minerals, aquatic invasive species, state lands and forests. Other features at the DNR building and exhibit include: Outdoor fish pond with about three dozen fish species. Photo opportunities from the giant hiking boot in the forestry exhibit. DNR fire tower; visitors can climb its 84 steps. Presentations, bird shows and musicians on the DNR Volunteer Outdoor Stage and Garden Stage. People can also buy hunting, fishing licenses and state park vehicle permits at the DNR building. Les Kouba Outdoors will be located in a building just east of the outdoor fish pond. A portion of their merchandise sales will be used to assist with DNR moose research. For schedule of events, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/events/statefair/schedules.html. The DNR’s State Fair building and surrounding park area are located at the corner of Carnes Avenue and Nelson Street in Falcon Heights. It will be open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. daily during the fair. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Theme: Public lands – owned by you, managed by DNR Main building Historic DNR building at State Fair is celebrating 84th anniversary this year. The 40-foot-high building opened Sept. 1, 1934. Approximately 500,000 people visit DNR building and surrounding park area each year. Gate tickets in 1934 cost 25 cents. In 2018, a regular adult admission ticket costs $14. Funding came from federal and state emergency relief administration and State Fair funds. Civilian Conservation Corps erected the building in less than six months using machined logs. DNR building is open daily during fair from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Fish pond Fish exhibit is one of State Fair’s most popular attractions. Pond holds about 50,000 gallons of water. It is kidney-shaped and is about 100 feet by 50 feet. Fish pond talks take place at quarter to the hour daily, from 9:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. Indoor aquariums DNR renovated its indoor fish exhibit in 2013 installing five large aquariums inside the main DNR building. Each tank shows fish in their native Minnesota habitat: trout of southeastern Minnesota; fish of the St. Croix River; and species of central, southern and northern Minnesota lakes. Aquariums are built lower to the ground, making it easier for more guests to see the turtles, fish and other species. Combined aquarium capacity of more than 5,000 gallons of water, the same amount of water the average family of four uses in a month. When full, tanks weigh about 118,000 pounds or about the weight of 118 Minnesota moose. Aquariums are open daily during fair from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Fire tower Specifically built for State Fair to provide a wildfire prevention message to visitors. Opened in 1966 and was closed in 1978 because of safety concerns. Was repaired and reopened in 2006. It is 65 feet tall and there are 84 steps from bottom to top. There is no charge to climb fire tower stairs to get birds-eye view of fair. Fire tower is on National Historic Lookout Register and is 10th best lookout in Minnesota. Open daily during fair from 9 a.m.-7 p.m., weather permitting. DNR forestry display Three interactive exhibit areas opened in 2017. Step inside a giant hiking boot surrounded by huge leaves for a unique Minnesota photo. Explore a life-sized white pine tree, complete with roots a person can walk on and learn how forests create clean water. Gaze upon a wall of tree cookies 11 feet tall – all native, Minnesota trees. Walk into a “forest” of interactive, informational trees on: forest stewardship, urban trees, forest products, fire and forests and Minnesota’s biomes. Play with a puzzle of dimensional lumber to learn how much wood comes from a log. Explore the tools foresters use in the woods every day – clinometer, increment borer and drip torch. Exhibit is open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. in DNR Building. Smokey Bear Smokey Bear is celebrating 74 years of reminding children and their parents about the dangers of wildfires. Smokey Bear makes daily appearances at DNR Park at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Camper cabin Fairgoers can step inside the 24-foot by 12-foot camper cabin that’s on display. Cabins are built to provide a “camping out” experience within the comfort of four walls. Cabin has two sets of bunks. Also includes a picnic table and fire ring with grill. There are more than 80 camper cabins available to rent in state parks and recreational areas around the state. Many cabins include electricity, and some are wheelchair accessible. Camper cabin display model open daily during the fair from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Located in DNR Park, near southwest corner of DNR building. Wall of Shame trailer – Turn in Poachers Mounted animals and stories about how they were taken illegally. Display located on south side of DNR building. Wildlife Wing Fairgoers can learn about Minnesota species and wildlife habitat. Special sound and lighting effects help create an experience of moving from day to night and through the four seasons, as visitors walk through the display. Master naturalist volunteers available to answer wildlife questions. Display located in DNR building and is open daily during fair from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Invasive species display Learn about the invasive species present in Minnesota. Explore interactive displays to learn the actions people can take to prevent invasive species. People can clean, drain and dispose to stop aquatic invasive species and PlayCleanGo to stop invasive species on land. Check out the PlayCleanGo pledge wall to pledge to clear gear to Stop Invasive Species In Your Tracks. See examples of invasive animals and plants and the impacts they can have. Talk with DNR staff and volunteers about invasive species questions. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Robert Eddington
      I put in couple golf ball sized hambuger balls in so they can eat . And change the water every three days.