• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good reminder.. While we are on the subject, Trout (from streams) goes to Catch & Release only after the Sept 14 (tomorrow).

The reason for the catch & release reg for smallies is that smallmouth start to school up at this time of the year. At this time they are more vulnerable to getting overfished if you hit the right spot on the right day.

I don't personally know anyone who keeps smallmouth, but I think it was a wise change they made a few years ago to put this regulation in place.

If anyone is interested in knowing, I have been privy to information that the DNR wants to extend the season in the near future to catch and ceep. I am not positive of when or how long but you can contact Mark with Anglers for Conservation at [email protected]. They are a growing club dealing with issues like this and cleaning up and conserving streams in the SE area of the state and manily focused on smallies. They also have meeting one monday a month at Whistle Binkies North. E-mail Mark of me if you have any other questions.

Pete

Baerfisher,

Weren't you guys once referred to as the Smallmouth Alliance? If so, why the name change? I am just curious by nature.

Jim W

Jim, yes and I am not even sure, I went to one meeting earlier this summer after I heard about them at the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo in Bloomimgton. I have not been able to make another one due to my work schedule. I think it was because in the past they focused mainly on the fish and recently have jumped into the stream improvement and habitat end of things as well. I think it was smart since you need that in order for the fish to thrive.