• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

You still have the shop in ely right?

If you have a shop in Ely, then I would guess you, if not then probobaly another steve! blush.gif

I will be in Ely the first week of October, looking forward to grouse hunting / pan fishing!

--Mark

No shop here, monstermoose and namakanwalleye. I have a newspaper office and a home photo studio, but no shop (until I get my garage built next summer). Good luck with your continued Steve hunting. There are a lot of guys named Steve in Ely. grin.gif

I agree, a lot of Steves in Ely, but only a few good ones!

STF, I have read many, many of your posts, and you seem to know very much about the Ely area. How long have you lived in Ely?

I went to College there in 1998 and did not leave Ely until 2002. I was out and about every chance I got!

I envy you, I wish I could still live in Ely, MN. What a great place!

See ya in three weeks!

--Mark

Mark, I've only lived here three-and-a-half years, but being in the newspaper business is a great way to learn a lot about a small town fast. Plus, I spend most of my weekends traveling the area out in the woods behind a camera, behind a deer rifle, in front of a motor or jigging an ice fishing pole.

Sounds like you live a great life, in a great town. Ely is my most favorite town, and I have been a lot of places. It's just the atmosphere, and of course all the outdoor things to do.

My cousin works for a newspaper company, Lee Enterprises, out of Bettendorf, Iowa. Have you ever heard of it?

I grew up in IL, went to college in Ely, and now work for the National Park Service as a water treatment / wastewater treatment plant operator.

The Ely Wastewater facility is much like the facility I operate in Yellowstone. It's amazing how much Shagawa (my favorite lake) has been studied for its recovery or non-recovery of eutrophication. Phosphorus, has ever changed Shagawa, and the lake sediments in the bottom hold phosphorus. When anoxic conditions occur, meaning no dissolved oxygen, the sediments release this phosphorus back into the lake, as a nutrient to the algae. Its an interesting process, and I take much interest in it, because I've used Shag recreationally for many years.

I have had fish houses on shag 3 winters in a row, doing not bad on the eyes. I also have caught 2 northerns over 20 from shag.

Speaking of shag, did you write the news report on the landing, across from Miners?

Anyway.....Good to get to know you.

--Mark

What type of shop are you refering to? I should be able to come up with a name for you.

Hi Mark. Yes I wrote that landing news story, if you're referring to the one in the Timberjay. I'm familiar with Lee newspapers. I worked for daily Knight-Ridder papers for eight years, so am from that corporate world and we knew Lee well. Also, the LaCrosse Tribune is a Lee paper, and LaX is my hometown.

Shag's pollution and recovery history is interesting indeed. And some of the old names, like Stinky Ditch, still get handed down.

But here were are getting off topic of the original thread. Monstermoose was looking for an Ely Steve with and Ely shop. Anyone??

Maybe he thought you had a store front where you sold your pictures etc. Steve?

Its not me. Im not in Ely and sure dont have a shop. Although my wife is having a rummage sale Sat. grin.gif

I already picked out all the good raingear, Cabelas Dry Bags and misc. tackle. wink.gif

Did you put it aside so it won't go in the sale, or do you have to buy it back from your wife so you can keep using it? grin.gif

I'm with you, dude. Anytime Mrs. Catfish or Mrs. Northlander sets stuff aside for a garage sale, stfcatfish and Northlander have to do midnight excursions the night before the sale to make sure they don't get rid of those special items.

I tell you, it ain't easy being a man. Our lives are hard. grin.gif