• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What would you do?

walleyewizard

The rules and regs are so we have a standard to go from, it starts every body of from a leavel playing field now weather or not you can catch more fish with or without all the fancy stuff I donno,

I do have a few spots ware a small 10 ft boat and worms are all you need to get 10 inch gills and other spots ware we need the 18ft and 135hp to get eyes,

I think it just comes down to what you think is a minor infraction? to me using two lines when the rest of us can only use one is wrong and should be called in, now if they change the law so we can use two some people will want 3 or 4 lines and on goes the topic...

I had an incident on Mille Lacs two weekends ago, I was out fishing with two buddies and I asked one of them to check the landing prior to heading out, as I was unaware of the slot limits. We arrived at the fishing spot (at this point I had forgotten to ask what the slot limit was) We were fishing for about 1/2 hour. I was in the process of setting up another pole and my bobber went down, one of the guys that was with took over my line and brought in a 15 incher. I took it off, looked at it, looked at the guys that were with and proceeded to ask that the slot was, NOBODY knew, I got the deer in the headlight look. One of the guys says put it in the live well, for one it was my boat and I decided to released it. In the mean time I am trying to call everybody I know that may have an idea what the slot limit is, next thing I know is another fish is being brought in and this one measured 17. Now this was not my fish, but, it was my boat, since we did not know yet what the slot was I released this one as well. The guy that caught it was a little upset with me (this is the one that was supposed to check the landing). So, I remembered that I had a map of Mille Lacs and they have a few bait shops that are close by and I called to find out the slot limit was 0-22 inches may be kept and one over 28. All I heard was...see we could have kept them.

I have a question for you guys especially the ones that are quick to turn people in: Would you have told me what the slot limit was on the lake if I was holding onto a fish that was in the slot? We were within talking distance of quite a few boats, we thought about asking and the other guys fishing, but, we were too chicken to ask. (I have been in the same situation once before on a different lake by myself and forgot to look at the landing...too much of a hurry to get the line wet). I threw up the slot limit question and all I can say is thank god I did not have the kids with. The guy I asked must have been a sailor and straight off the ship. blush.gif

I would have told you what the slot was if you would have asked me. The only real stupid question is the one you don't ask if you don't know.

I usually try to know the regs for the area that I am fishing, but in the heat of trying to get everything together and get out sometimes things get overlooked.

You did the right thing. If you would have asked me I would have told you. You can also try your marine radio (should be someone on Millacs with theirs ears on). Of course the world is full of jerks and you might get a rude answer but hey that's his problem.

Quote:

corect me if I'm wrong but are you saying that if I drive over the speed limit up to the cabin, and the next morning I see someone poaching if I make that call to TIP I'm a hypocrit?

yes that would make you a hypocrit, deepportage01!shocked.gif

Quote:

yes that would make you a hypocrit, deepportage01!

So....since many of us at least occasionally drive over the speed limit we should just plain ignore all the other wrong doings in the world??? I just can't bring myself to agree with that line of thinking.

Quote:

I have to disagree... just because the offenses are different, if you are a poacher and see someone else poaching and you call TIP on them, this makes you a hypocrit. If you are moving at the posted speed limit, and someone passed you going 80 in 55, then you call the Trooper hot line...you are a concerned citizen. Comparing a couple of miles over the speed limit to poaching, and calling the guy a hypocrit does not fit the bill. There are different levels of breaking the law and each law has tolerances. If you have one person that made a mistake and thought he had 9 crappies when he actually had 10 when throwing in the last one, this could be called an honest mistake...fine is not going to be that bad, may even get a warning, (this may be bothersom to some, but people make mistakes, on the other hand some people just make bad decisions) The person that has 60 fish over the limit, needs to be turned in.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees over limit infractions should be reported.

But, if your using two lines you must not be catching that many fish anyway. If you need to use two lines you might be fiahing in the wrong spot. That is why I would consider it a minor infraction.

I would hope that reporting a minor infraction, as opposed to self warning the perpetrator, doesn't take a CO away from doing more important work. grin.gif (like eating donuts blush.gif) oops did I say that out.

I may have been a little off subject... blush.gif

Definetly would inform people that fishing with two lines is not legal... However, I am in favor of it.

I fished a tourney for my Dad's work with him last year and one guy had beads on a wire. 20 green ones on one wire and 10 red ones on another. I asked what they were for and he said every time he puts a sunny in the well he moves a green one over and for each crappie a red one. I thought for as simple as it was, if you'd remember each time to move a bead it would be a great way to "keep track". I'm guilty of fishing two lines in MN, in the winter wink.gif Wait til ice up then throw that fathead down there. Otherwise, keep yourself too busy to fish a second line during open water. I've found it works best to be doing anything other than watching your line/bobber. Alomst every fish I've caught I've caught while lighting a smoke, eating a sandwich, adjusting the radio, etc. grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

So....since many of us at least occasionally drive over the speed limit we should just plain ignore all the other wrong doings in the world??? I just can't bring myself to agree with that line of thinking.

Thanks, I was starting to think I was only one who thought that this line of thinking was a little off...

Your line of thinking is whats wrong. One doesn't get to pick and choose the laws they wish to abide by. You should be driving the speed limit as well as following the fishing reg's. THAT was the point I was trying to make.

Well WADE Joseph,You are realy trying to make me out to be a bad person just kuz I'm not scard to tell the truth about my actions, yes I do drive a 1-3 mph over the speed limit somtimes and I will call tip if I see anything being poached,but to have you call me a hypocrit to make a point maybe you should read forum policy [no name calling] this not about me Wade its about" what would you do?" please next time make your point like you did above I'm sure almost every body has drove a little fast in there life but there are few that have poached please, lets keep this fun with out the harsh words if you wan't you can think of me as a hypocrit but just know that if I ever see somone poaching the call to TIP will be made and I might speed to get to a phone also blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Whoaa fellows !! This post is getting carried away with criticism.

If you want to continue to follow this thread I would suggest to calm down and be civil with each others, otherwise this thread will get locked, or erased and you will get a suspension.

So please be nice to each other and follow the rules and policies of this forum.

Thank you.

wow I was 100% that two lines in the water was allowed, and I even thought I remembered reading it in the MN fishing guide/rulebook. I'm glad I read this. smirk.gifshocked.gif

Two lines are allowed in certain waters. Mostly border waters. I think the DNR is going to have to start providing laptops and internet connections to help us with the regs.