• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Glendel gets attacked

outdoor ran

The dog went nuts this morning in the house, so I suspected we had an animal in the yard. Went outside to check to see what was up. To my surprise my Glendel 3D deer target was in pieces scattered in the yard. All that was left standing was its legs, but the rubar posts were severely bent. The head and antlers were broken about 10 yards away. I found the main body about 20 yards away under a pine tree.

We have had a bear in the yard a couple times this summer. I believe its too early in the year for a buck to be attacking it, to me it just seems odd that a bear would attack this target and not hit the bird feeders. Could this be the work of some coyotes or maybe even a wolf?

I put him back together and took a couple pics. Looking at the shooting block heart area, you notice four or five claws marks. Notice how it looks like it tried to eat the deers gut area? Any ideas?

target1.jpg

target3.jpg

My vote is wolf. If it was a coyote then there would have been more than one but the wolf would take it down and then grab that back leg and cripple it. If you put some buck scent on it and set it up in front of a trail cam you might get to see if anything comes back.

heeeeeere kitty, kitty, kitty. Neck wounds? Good thing you cary your bow when approaching that target. smile.gif South range? Anywhere near Rusk CO.? They got wolves up in that area as well as some lynx and bobcats as we have caught the with the trail cams a time or two.

Tunrevir~

my dad works for the company that makes the glendall here in Superior. He was going to show his the boss the pix. Said he'd get a kick out of that. I think I better throw my camera up. I'm very curious has to what is was. I have 3 small children running around the yard.

That is kinda nuts. I have small boys at home and it is a little creepy.

Did you check with the DNR?

I ran into our local warden yesterday while goose hunting and showed him the pics. All he did was laugh.

The body on this target is heavy. Its the biggest one they make i believe. I cant see a coyote or small dog dragging it that far. Can't be a boar with those claw marks. I'm hoping it was a bear and not a cougar or wolf. Even though we do have some in this county.

A buddy of mine had his full body targert dragged 30 yards into the woods this spring. We found teeth marks around the neck that measured 9 1/4" between the k-9's! As we investigated the area we found perfect cat tracks in the mud and we also found were it launched itself from when it attacked the target. The most impressive part was how deep the the teeth marks were in the neck........you'd have little chance against an animal of this sorts! A call to the DNR about his concerns (mostly for his two young neices and the family dogs) were never returned.

FYI.....this happened in the dead center of Duluth!

Looks like my ex-wife was in your back yard. Meaner then a junk yard dog!!!Didn't I tell you your not going hunting!!!!!!!! Ohhh just felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. When does open season on ex-wives start??

Quote:

When does open season on ex-wives start??

I have one of those in Hibbing also.........If you have the koo-dots i'm thinking the season never closes !! grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.