• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coast guard rating

smilee_54

I have a question about the motor rating. I have a 18 horse on by boat(I know its an old girl) My boat is only rated for a 14 horse. I was told if I could get in some trouble because of this. I guess I am a little worried about this. thanks for your time. I guess right now I don't have an option to get another motor. My father-inlaw said that U can have the twice the amount of hp of what the rating says is that true thanks guys for your time

There is a lot of debate on this subject with a lot of varied opinions. I don't think I've ever heard an answer that is completely authoritative.

My opinion - by being over the rating on the hull plate, your boat won't be covered by it's warranty (probably not an issue for you). Also, you need to check with your insurance to be perfectly clear (ie. get it in writing) that this doesn't violate your policy and void your insurance. I think those are your only two risks.

You will probably hear opinions that it's illegal to be over the rating and that you can be ticketed for this by COs and Sheriffs. I don't believe either of those is true but I am not completely sure. Only way to know for sure is to call and ask them I guess.

Good luck.

Quote:

My father-inlaw said that U can have the twice the amount of hp of what the rating says is that true thanks guys for your time

Oooh..

My 16ft with a 225, that'd be fun!!

On second thought, maybe not, sounds like a recipe for disaster...

It is illegal and they can write you a ticket for it, although they rarely check. I will say that if something were to happen a) doubtful your insurance would cover it, and B) you are just asking for trouble. I know boat dealers will not rig anyboat with anything over the Max rec. H.P.

yea thats what I thought too about what the father in law said the isurance person all they asked was the lenth of the boat and the motor thats on it. I guess the co are looking at the ratings when ya get pulled over here. I guess I will have to risk it(hope I don't get flamed for that) and afford a new motor the boat is rated for a 14 horse and that it I have a 18 on there so its not that far over

If I didn't have insurance, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you do have insurance though and reck your boat or something, I guarantee they won't pay you squat! Yes it is illegal, and you can get fined if you are EVER checked? I also understand the fine is pretty hefty.

If you want my opinion and what I WOULD DO... I wouldn't worry about that small motor, but that's just me. I'm not telling you to do it!!! (again it is illegal) If we were talking a 135hp max and puting a 150hp on it, that would be a different story. I actually had this same problem this summer when trying to find a motor for my Pro 1701 MirroCraft. My hull rating is 135hp. I had numerous chances to buy some nice 150's and let me tell you I was really tempted...because the only other good motor I could find was a 90hp outboard. (kind of wanted something bigger) But in the end I ended up going with the 90hp, just because of insurance reasons and motor works fine on my boat.

In the end it's your choice...Chances are you'd never get caught and nothing bad would ever happen, but you know how that goes??? If you do keep the over rated HP on your boat, just be ready to face the consequences if you get caught. grin.gif

The best thing you could do is try and trade it for something a tad bit smaller...Just an idea.

Good luck.

I belive I say something about this in a boating manual that said you can have no more than 10% over your rated HP.I'm not sure on that though.

Quote:

I belive I say something about this in a boating manual that said you can have no more than 10% over your rated HP.I'm not sure on that though.

That kind of sounds like the assumed speed limit in this state.

"Officer, I was only going 5mph over."

"Sorry, you were over the limit, here's your ticket."

Or as Bill Engvall would say... "Here's your sign!" smile.gif

There is a reason they put a specific number on the tag.

I often wondered what my boat was even rated for. It doesn't have the sticker on it....

If it was me, and it has ran ok so far, why change a good thing. But...like everyone else said, it IS illeagle, but then again it IS only a 4hp diff, we aren't talking 15-20 HP here...