• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'58 Johnson 10hp

Greg T

Question

I finally talked the father-in-law to let me dig this old girl out of the corner of the boat house last weekend and I have a few questions. I counted the turns out for the mixture screws, but what are the initial settings to start with? Also, I foolishly was thinking I could put the muffs on when I get it running, but the lower unit only has 1 spout out the back, so what are you supposed to do, put it in a bucket of water or something? Lastly, what kind of mix ratio do you run in those things? Thanks for any help.

5 answers to this question

I run my '57 johnson 10 hp in a garbage can or just take it to a lake that isn't busy and puts with it at the ramp. I can't remember the mixture. Its either 50:1 or 25:1. I have a motors that take both and I get them mixed up.

on that motor it would be 25:1. Yes U should run it in a barrel but don't run it too long. sounds like its been sitting for a while.

It's been sitting under a pile of junk for 15 years he says. Suprisingly the carb looked like it just ran last week. We've been using a 6 horse on a 16 ft fiberglass for 5 years so needless to say we don't get too far away from the dock. Looking forward to maybe being able to get up on plane. The boat and lake are 4 1/2 hours away so I'll try the garbage can trick.

Thanks for the info.

I just got done doing a motor that has been sitting for about ten years I replaced the impeller,new carb kit,thermastat,fuel lines and fuel pump. I would be willing to bet that U need a new impeller after sitting that long,fuel lines possibly are rotten thermastat could have corrison on it be sure to change the lower unit oil

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

I just got done doing a motor that has been sitting for about ten years I replaced the impeller,new carb kit,thermastat,fuel lines and fuel pump. I would be willing to bet that U need a new impeller after sitting that long,fuel lines possibly are rotten thermastat could have corrison on it be sure to change the lower unit oil

If you want a dependable motor I'd have to agree with whats been said. Drain and replace the lower unit gear oil, inspect for leaks or water after its first time out.