• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone catch the name of the boat that sunk today? I hope it was nobody we know! Sad to see this happen to anyone no matter who it was. Im glad nobody was hurt.

Skippers Kid, End Of The Line you guys still got rides?

The boat sunk near tofte and another charter boat saved the crew. Channel 6 said it was a Duluth charter Boat? Well will have to see who it is as the story is said what really happened? thank god now one was hurt or died.

It was on the 10pm news last night. Sounds like a rope got caught in the motor and killed it. Somehow the boat wound up flipping over. 4 people were on board and all are ok. Another charter came and helped them.

Tom I see we were typing at the same time. Let us know what you guys find out. If the boat was by Tofte do ya really think it was a Duluth Charter boat or someone out of Knife?

I didnt recognize either boat but Im no expert on them.

The customers on the boat were from Grand Marais. They are customers of ours here at work.(this is how I heard it.)They got stranded when the bow line or a moring line came loose and tangled in the prop.While the captain tried to get the line free a wave broke over the side of the boat and then the next wave hit and flipped the boat. I guess it took close to fourty minutes to get the people in. I also was told that someone on the boat called 911 after and they did not seem to believe him and told him they would call back.

This is what we were told by one of the members on the boat.

Just glad to see they all made it in safe and with no injuries.

Jar Jar

On the Tofte Charters Web page he has a small write up. He said that he was the one that went and got the people out of the water and the name of the boat that flipped.

Just came back from a catering gig at Lutsen and on my way up we saw the capsized boat out in front of Bluefin Bay, we spun around and ran in to inquire about it and make sure all parties were alright. They said it had been there since yesterday and everyone was safe.

Pretty bad ordeal all the way around. Thankfully it happened without loss of life.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats a reminder to keep all ropes tidy. Glad everyone was rescued without injury.

I had something similar happen when a landing net slid unnoticed off the canopy and into the water. The motor quit and there was the net wound tight around the prop.

Loud and clear Frank. I leave the dock many times with my fron lines just thrown up on the deck. Mine will not reach my props. This must have been a single engine boat. Otherwise you would have been able to keep the bow into the waves with the second engine. Anybody know how big this boat was and what kind of boat ? Not much info on it. I would not go on the big lake myself with a single engine. But then again, I don't do it for a living. I am a FAIR weather fisherman, and would have been off the lake if there was 3 foot waves. Should a captain put there clients at that sort of risk ? Do you think there will be law suits from this ? Do clients sign some sort of release on their life when they go out on a charter ? Common sense ?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Viking, like you I need that second motor.

Who knows what happened and what steps were made after the rope got tangled, its all speculation and when things go wrong they can happen fast.

A drift sock or anchor will hold your bow into the waves when you lose power but you have to act fast.

The old saying "Stuff Happens". When you get into someone's boat you have to assume some of the risk when things go wrong. Thats not to say you have no recourse if the charter used neglect. Who knows how the rope got there or if it was even a rope from the vessel so I'd rather not got there. As far as conditions, no one not even charters like to be out when its rough. As you know things change out there fast and I know I've made that long run back to shore many times in rough seas.

Ropes can and have gotten tangled in twin screws. If you run over a rope chances are its going to be in both props! blush.gif The best thing to prevent this is have all lines put away in the proper location. No lines should be loose no matter how short they are. That is just common boat safety.

I know that everytime I have tried to make the trip up to Duluth for a charter trip out onto the lake we were turned away at the dock by the captain. We had a trip booked with 4-6 of us for over a month and the day came to go and it was really rough so we went to the dock and talked to the captain and found it was a no go. We drove back down to the the Twin Cities to try again another day. So we had the trip rebooked and we once again made the drive back up and again it was really rough. The captain again turned us away at the dock. Again we rebooked and again it was to rough. After the third time my dad and I decided to not make the drive up for the fourth try. I guess on that fourth time out they were able to go out and they did catch some fish however it was still fairly rough and they did end up getting chased back in before the end of the day.

I am glad that the captain had the good sense to turn away our money for our won safety. I think we might all would have wanted to go that third time regardless of the conditions after being turned away two times prior.

I haven't tried to get back out onto the big water since then. Lately I have found myself more content on the smaller bodies of water. I have spent a few weekends lately canoeing the northern stretches of the St. Croix around St. Croix state park. Much calmer water and the smallies are plentiful.

All Captains have cel phones. I would make sure I called my Captain before I drove all the way from the cities or any other long drive.

We do not have control over the weather? If we did they would call us GOD We could wish that but it would never happen so it will be what it is we take what we get and wish for good weather and hope we get out? smirk.gif.

Be thankful you had a captain that has respect for the lake and your safetey. Some guys will go out in any weather. In some cases it's rough and you would stay safe no problem but if it's too windy to keep the speed of the boat right you wouldn't stand a chance of catching a fish anyways. I hate to see people lose a trip to the weather but it's good to see them understand the circumstances that are beyond anyones control.

We were totally fine with the decisions that captain made. I was fairly young at the time, probably 14-15 at the oldest so it was alteast 10 years ago when this all took place. Not sure how prevelant cell phones were back then honestly I don't know why we didn't just call ahead to see if they would be going, we might have been in town visiting family anyways so we probably still would have made the trip.

I do remember driving down toward the docks and as we headed down the hill toward the lake I could see the lake and I would tell the rest of the group that there is no way that I am going out on that lake looking the way it did.

There has always been something about the big lake that scares the begeezers out of me at times.