• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final Detroit Series

Trainman

Well this is it. Final 4-game showdown with Detroit. Baker lost today, AGAIN no run support. We almost matched Detroit on hits, but too many double plays.

Let's see if Garza, Boof, and Santana can keep us within reach.

"The Twins' 22-year-old rookie learned a bit of a lesson in his last start against the Yankees on Sept. 3 -- pitching with all fastballs isn't going to cut it in the Majors."

Above is from the preview on the MLP Web-Page. Our Rookie Pitcher, Justin Verlander, won last night. A couple weeks ago he was getting hammered, and Leyland took him out of a game. Later, Leyland said Verlander "fell in love with his fastball and threw it for 26 of his last 29 pitches. That won't cut it in this league, young man." Sounds like these two have quite a bit in common. Verlander has gone from a strike out pitcher to an "out" pitcher. Ground ball double plays are getting to be common when he pitches. He is not throwing the 101 mph heat, but 95 plus with some movement, plus a very good curve and change up.

Tonight's starter, Ledesma is another kid who Leylang gave a chance to. He has pitched much like Verlander, with just about the same results. Not quite as fast. He too, is learning there is a difference between throwing and pitching. We'll get six inings from him and turn it over to "Zoom Zoom" Zumaya. I hope, with a lead.

Good luck.

RJ,

What is the latest over there as to what they are going to do with Maroth now? Isn't he scheduled to come of the DL soon?

Last I heard on him was he was ready to come of the DL. MLB.com shows him on the 25 man roster. I have heard of no plans to start him. Maybe a relief appearance or two. Our current starters are rally pitching well, and skipper may be reluctant to change it. Not sure, and they aren't saying much.

Twins rookie pulled one out today 9-5. Looks like the Chisox are going to win so today was crucial. Let's hope Bonser and Santanna can keep it going!

Trainman,

I think you may be psychic or you spoke too soon because Jenks blew a two run lead in the ninth giving up 4 doubles in a row to start. They went from a 5-3 lead to losing 6-5 going into the ninth, they AJ went yard with Konerko on first for a walk off victory. I guess with 21 games left I will take any kind of a win but it is obvious that the Sox are going to really have to grind this out as 4 of their key players should be on the DL but you know that at this time of the year they will keep playing. Thome is still hurt and has not gotten his swing back yet, Dye is still nursing a sore back, Crede was out again tonight with a bad back and Jenks looked terrible in his first outing since Boston. These injuries could not have happened at a worse time but you just have to suck it up because every team gets injuries. It looks like the Sox picked the worst time for their, unless you are a Twinkie or Kittie fan...Which everybody on this thread is except me and maybe Commanche Jim, though we have not heard too much from him this year. I know he is really working on getting his new restaurant up and coming but it would sure be nice to have a little extra Southside love amonst all you Twinkie-lovers. Oh well, it's still anybody's game and the Kitties have to see the building cloud of smoke behind them coming from both the Twin Cities and the Windy City. I will close, as usual with an extra shout out to AJ, the hero tonight...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES! Windy

So thats your excuse for Jenks getting Rocked again...... blush.gif

ZERO chance for a repeat this year my fair weather friend....

I thought left handed pitching was supposed to beat, or at least neutralize left handed hitters. Sure didn't happen last night. Nate Robertson goes tonight. Been very good the last month, but very little run support.

Morneau with another "CLUTCH" two out double to knock in two runs at a key moment against the Tigers!! The MVP winner SHOULD be him or Dye depending on who makes the playoffs.... should be interesting!

Buzz,

I can go along with that theory, since we are running mates! As for you Pier, Jenks is hurt. He says he is not but he has been out since the Boston series when he blew that save. He has only blown 4 save opps all season and two of them came this week. One in Boston and one vs. Injuns. His back is bad and I could see that in the Boston game. He normally throw at around 98 and 99 with the heater and usually gets it over 100 when he is fully amped up. He was on the gun at 91 in Boston and was only at 93 last night. So this is a fact but I am not using it as an excuse, it is just a fact. The guy is hurting and would probably be on the DL in the middle of the season but with only 20 games left you know his arm would have to fall off to go onto the DL at this point. Don't try to make this out to be me making excuses, the Sox have been the most injury free team for the past two years but when a guy is hurt he is hurt, period. Windy

OH really......so even though yesterday Bobbi Jinx's said

Quote:

''The discomfort is gone completely in my HIP,''

Now your saying his back is bad.... confused.gif.. Interesting.

Actually, I was hoping to jinx the Sox by assuming they had the game won last night. I watched it almost to the end after my post, amazed that they blew their lead. Left right when AJ was up and came back to see he won it for them. Not real surprised, but holy cow talk about some exciting baseball this month!!!

Twins win today 2-1. Just saw Cleveland score 7 to pull within 8-10 of the SOX. Hold onto your hats!

Sorry Pier or should it be inspector Clueseu, I didn't know of your keen interest in all the Sox injuries. I may have made a mistake when listing them . Jermaine Dye and Crede had the bad backs, it was Jenks hip that was bothering him. Boy did you catch me in a huge lie, it was meant to distract all you Twinkie fans, but you caught it just in time. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Back, hip, whatever, an injury is an injury and if you paid as much attention to his velocity the last two outings as you seem to his injuries or lack thereof you might have noticed that his fastball was about 7-10 miles less than usual. Let's get back to baseball and quit picking nits off of nits. Both teams win tonight 3 and 3.5 behind the Kitties that's all that counts. Windy

Oh and just so you are 100% accurate in your reporting, Jimmy Olsen, his first name is Bobby with a y. I would not want you to mislead anybody into thinking you were reffering to somebody else.

Train,

I think the sales of Pepto-Bismal and Alka-Seltzer will sky rocket in the Twin Cities the Windy City and Motown in the next three weeks. It won't hurt the sale of alcohol either! I just keep telling myself, a win is a win is a win so I guess I will close as usual...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES! Windy

Quote:

his first name is Bobby with a y. I would not want you to mislead anybody into thinking you were reffering to somebody else.

No kidding...My sister spells hers Bobbi....who would of thunk it.

So who's right you or Bobbi Jinx's... wink.gif?

No pepto for me, Twins have already exceeded my expectations this year. Anything they do is a huge bonus for me. We're not the the ones with the bazillion dollar payroll and something to prove.

Now Sled,

I would not call the Sox payroll huge, if that's what you're doing. The Yankees...yes Boston...yes but the Sox...no. I think they are in the middle somewhere in payroll. Compared to the Cubbies, the Sox are a steal this year with number of wins. And as for something to prove...Been there and done that already! (See last year's playoff record and results) I don't think the salaries are going to matter a lick over the next 20 games. It will be who wants it more and right now it looks like the Sox and Twinks want it a lot more than the Kitties but they have the 3 game lead so they are the hunted right now. It would not surprise me, and I said this about 2 or 3 months ago on another post that the Twinks and Sox both pass up the Kitties at the finish line and leave the Kitties crying in their beer. Windy

There has got to be some team that takes away the "Flop of the Century" title from my '69 Cubs! But if it means watching the WSox finish third, I'll gladly let the Cubbies keep that title.

Now, its off to watch the Pack beat the Bears, but that kinda talk will really make you guys think I'm a two-time loser in my fanatacism.

Wow!! The Tigers sure are playing good BB these days! I'm hoping we can hold this tight lead in the ninth inning today... 12-0!! Cy Santana is such a lock for Cy Young and Buster Olney of ESPN says he should even be the league MVP!! How 'bout dem apples? wink.gif

Awesome 12-1 win over the Tigers today. Twins take 3 of 4 to pull within 2 games and 1.5 ahead of the Sox. Oakland comes to town tomorrow for a 3-game set that will be equally as tough. Let's hope we can pull off another series win!

P.S. Why can't the Twins save their 12-run games for when Silva pitches?

Gene, nice goose egg the Bears laid on the Packers today. It was a plesent sight to see, watching the pack get shut out in Lambue(sp) field. Now my team is all alone in 2nd place in the tough( grin.gif) nfc north.

Sled, that would be the best case senario. Twins win the devision and Detroit the wildcard. Oakland would come here and Detroit would go to New York. With any luck Detroit would have a shot at the Yankees and with Liriano back, we should chop down OAKtown.

Due to a limited income(also know as having a bunch of kids),I cant get to the games very often, maybe once every year or two. But I bought some great twins tickets for cheap about two months ago when the twins were out by ten or more games. Anyway, on the 27th I will be there and cant wait. friendly

One last football post guys - sorry - just don't want youze guyz to think I'm not able to eat crow, it's just hard to swallow right now!

Friendly,

yeah, every 255 games or so that happens in GB....but I got a funny feeling it could happen sooner than later again.

Here's a fact for Tigers fans to chew on:

• The Tigers' loss coupled with the Yankees' win at Baltimore catapulted New York ahead of Detroit in the race for the American League's best record. The Tigers had owned sole possession of the league's best mark for the previous 112 days (since May 20). Over the past 50 seasons, only one other team slipped from the top spot in its league in a year in which it had sole possession of that distinction for as many consecutive days as Detroit. In 2003, the Braves owned the NL's best record for 131 straight days before relinquishing it in September.

Now I smell a choke coming on.... crazy.gif

"Choke comming on"

It took you long enough. We've won 10 of ourlast 32 games! These kids do not know how to close it out. I don't want to sound like I've given up, because all we need to do is start getting the timely hits we were getting earlier in the season, to go along with the still very good pitching. We have pitched very well, with few exceptions in those 32 games. Leyland's comments after yesterday were priceless. "we are either in the outhouse or the castle." Either a strike out or a home run. We do not know how to, or we are not capable of, manufacturing runs like you guys are great at. We have 325 walks this season. There are ten teams in the majors with over 500. We need more 2-0 counts. Seems like we are always 0-2 or at best 1-2. The hitters say they are aggressive. I really think that is why we have not continued to win. Pitchers can get us swinging at bad pitches far too easy. We make pitchers look far better than they arre. Not to knock Boof, but I don't think he is as good as he looked. Our last 17 hitters went down with out even getting close to on base. Bad news for us that Cleveland's best hitter is out for the season. We don't play them any more.

If this doesn't change we will finish in third place. This year has been a huge surprise. I firmly believe this was supposed to happen next year or the year after. We stockpiled pitching for a few years, and started to win before they traded some pitching to improve our everyday line up. Outside of Pudge, we have no all stars playing. Ordonyez, maybee, but he too has had a poor second half, untill the past two weeks. He is our leading RBI guy with 90. We have several guys in the mid twenties in Home runs, but nobody will break 30. Seems like a good line up for "small ball," but they refuse or don't know how.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading here. You guys are great. I'll stay in touch. Hope we meet in the playoffs. I really have not given up. We just gotta get going.

Rick

RJ, you pretty much described the Twins in April. Their hitters were flailing at everything within two feet of the plate. It doesn't take long for the scouts to figure out that your team isn't going to make the pitcher work. Why give somebody something to hit if they're going to swing at crap out of the strike zone?

Detroit's going through the exact same thing. Pressing too hard, trying to hit everything, no patience (see: Morneau 2005).