• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slug Question...

cupper

Hey guys. I hunt in SE MN where we must use shotguns. I have the whole setup (scope, rifled barrel) and I use the Winchester "Partition Gold" saboted slugs. I love them, but I went to Gander to get some more and the were $17.50 for a box of 5!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Anyone know why they jumped in price so much? Anyone know of someplace to get them cheaper?

Thanks.

cupper

I have not looked at the price of slugs, but I know steel and lead shot both went up quite a bit this year. I think it is like everything else, prices go up and up and our wages stay the same.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

They cant make ammo fast enough i know i have been working 6 to 7 days a week for over a year now and they are still behind.

check out Remington's Buck Master I think they are. There a cheaper slug and do not get the big ones...Trust me your shoulder will thank me later. There a good cheap slug.

Code-Man

Whoa!

The price of slugs, should not be the deciding factor

in which slugg to shoot, well if you just want to shoot sluggs and not be as accurate as you could be and give the animal less respect for a quick kill!

Thats why i posted to find out what people are shooting.

thats my 2 cents!

Fins

I use the cheap Federals & Winchesters 1oz. because those shoot great out of my smoothbor slug barrel.

I shoot remington copper solids out of my deer shotgun. The price may be expensive but its worth it to get a good sabot. Price should not be the deciding factor, whatever works best in your gun should be used.

My experience with slug guns is that there is no magic combination. By that I mean you need too take your gun and multiple brands of slugs go too the range and shoot them at 100 yards! You will be surprised at what you find. My slug gun shoots winchester partition golds best! My sons shoots a different brand better!!

I tried a new highly advertised brand last year touted for accuracy. It was the poorest of all in my gun, but may work well in yours!!

Also try to use a gun vice too eliminate shooter error!

I agree you need to find the one that works in your gun, for some reason they seem to vary a lot. Personally I shoot Rem Copper Solids in the rifled barrel and Winchester Fosters through the smooth bore.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses fellas! Unfortunately, I think I should have worded my question differently. I am not looking to find a different slug... I love the partition golds. They work very well in my gun. I was just wondering if anyone had seen them at a store, other than Gander Mt, for a lower price. A good buddy of mine found some at Dicks for 12.97 per box vs. 17.50 at Gander. Thanks for all of your input!!

Good luck this season!

Does anybody use Hornady SSTs? $13 at Gander. They sure look mean! I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. I gotta get my barrel to stop twisting. When I do I'll let you know how they shoot out of my gun.

I previously used Federal Sabots Hydro Shock HP. Great bullet for my gun. Shot good groups, expanded well for quick recoveries of animals. Last year I test shot Winchester Partition Golds, great groups! I decided to hunt with them because they were about 400-500 fps faster than the Federals which meant less compensation needed for any 75-150 yard shots I may encounter. I shot a buck last fall broadside at about 70 yards, dragging the opposite shoulder he ran into the brush about 40 yards from me. It took two other shots behind the shoulder to bring him down. After examining the deer, the exit hole was the same size as the entrance hole which told me ZERO expansion. Because of this reason I bought a box of the Hornady SST slugs to test for grouping. My buddy shoots SST's out of his muzzloader with great success so my hope is that their slugs will perform well also since they are basically the same projectile. If they don't group well, back to the Federals; after all why fix it if it ain't broken.

My2cents,

Fishin

I personally think expansion in a slug is overrated. The whole is so darn big going in, it really doesn't need to expand to do a ton of damage and make a big blood-letting hole on the way out...

There is no doubt in my mind that a hole from a full metal jacket type projectile that doesn't expand will kill an animal if the shot is placed correctly. There is no doubt in my mind that my experience last year would have resulted in a harvested animal if I would have just let it go. The difference between harvesting a deer with a gun and a bow is shock. This is why they make bullets that expand; to shock the system, tear up more vitals, for a clean humane kill. This is why FMJ ammo is not used by hunters or police officers.....unless the target is on the other side of 1/4" plate metal. I disagree with you lawdog that expansion is overrated. I am open to hear why you think that so I have a better understanding.

Huntin

This is an interesting Debate. The Experts like to say that the best bullets/loads are the ones that never Exit. There theory is that the animal stopped the bullets energy there-by absorbing all the energy the bullet had to offer! But with many years of hunting I have seen bullets and animals do strange and unpredictable things.

This actually happened to my son last year. He has hunting Deer with his 45 cal muzzle loader.He Had a close range shot

At a deer which he took. The deer never give any indication he was hit. But my son assumed he was as it was a hard too miss shot. The only indication the deer was hit was a swatch of hair. No blood! He followed the tracks in the snow. Thank god there was snow. 150 yards from where he shot the deer was piled up Still no blood. It was a PERFECT boiler room shot!!Upon gutting The Cavity was Full of blood.After skinning we found the 45 cal bullet Just under the skin behind the opposing shoulder. It did not Exit!

This whole deal was a potential disaster. Had there been no snow or tracks. The shot obviously was Very fatal! No exit hole IMO was partially to blame for no-blood trail!

Why did the bullet not Exit. TOO much expansion??? I don't know.Muzzle loader powder did not burn properly?? I don't think so, But possible.Also remember this was close range 30 yds. I would expect no exit at Long range where the bullets energy was spent before entering.

Cost of License, Gear, Lodging, and Deer Processing far outweigh the cost of $4 shots. 1 shot kill= Priceless! Use the slug that "Best" groups out of your gun. I made the change to Lightfield Hybreds 2 years ago. Started with $-saving for targets, and made me change because of the tight shot groupings! Understanding $$$ should not make the difference, rather performance and groupings. Shoot with many brands to find the best group for you, as each gun & barrel is different!

no 2 guns are the same and buy a box of each and see what happens. for my rifle I have tried boxes and boxes to find out what works and my 15 dollar a box shells shoot the best through my gun. Can't explain it but I'm glad they weren't the 30-50 dollar ones hehehe