• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portable ladder stand??

BLACKJACK

Was out scouting a public hunting area last night and found a nice finger of oak woods that I'd like to hunt. Since its public land, any stands I put up would have to be taken in and out. I'm past the point of messing with screw-in steps and portables, but I was thinking a portable ladder stand that would get me up about 12 feet would be good. Anybody know of any good, portable ladder stands? Looking thru the Cabelas catalog, they all appear too tall and heavy.

There really isn't one, but here is what I did. I took a pull golf cart and cut the axle off. It is shaped like a V. I then took a piece of metal and bolted it to the first and second step, bolted on the V and ran a couple of cross peices to stabelize. I use the softer and wider tires, they seem to work the best. Just stack all the sections on it and strap it down. It works great and I have even hauled dear on it.

have you ever tried a climber stand? you fasten two cables and up the tree you go, even easier than setting up a ladder stand.

Most of the ladder stands are heavy and cumbersome.I use them on private property where I can leave them up.I only use them for rifle where I cannot get another type up.I like to get up as high as possible when bow hunting.

The climbers I have fallen in love with and own 3 different ones.In a oak tree because of all the branches that could be very hard to do.

Is there a chance that you could use a ground blind or build one out of some pieces of tree?

The ladder stand will work but you will probably have to take it out after every hunt so you dont loose it.

I'd look again. I seem to remember Cabela's or Bass Pro offering ladderstands under another brand name that they claimed were portable and only weighed 20 some pounds.

However, I agree with Harvey that a ground blind could be the way to go in this case. You can usually pick up a cheap pop up liek the Ameristep Doghouse for $60-$70 when they're on sale and they'll do the trick.

This was bugging me for some reason so I did a quick check on Cabelas. I found two that I remembered.

Loggy Bayou Brush Ladder Stand (33 pounds) – very basic at $80

North Starr Super Starr Deluxe Ladder stand ( 25 pounds) – very posh at $290

Both stands assemble and disassemble easily and include straps so you can pack them in and out on your back.

Hope this helps.

I was in Sportsman's in Saint Cloud yesterday and they had a Riverview 15' ladder stand that looks a lot like the Cabela's Pine Ridge stand for $60. If I had a little more free cash right now I probably would have picked up a couple of them.

for what you are doing in and out on Public I would definitly look at a climber. I am looking at the summit Viper as soon as I have the money. I use a ladder on private land. But it takes almost 2 or a lot of time to use. I would not want to pack in and out with one very often.

I have a Bear River or something like that, that I've had for about 10 years. It's a 12' ladder, with the seat at 12', your feet at about 9'. It's a little too low, but it's quick & easy to setup & no problem for one person to take up & down. It's fairly heavy, but really would be too much trouble to pack in & out. They're a little noise assembling. If it's open or I'm not walking real far I tend to assemble it & carry it assembled over one shoulder. It's pretty easy to balance it that way.

Don't discount the hang-on with steps option. Just skip the screw in types. They are the worst thing ever created. I bought the Summit Bucksteps. They are 2 platforms with a bar welded between them so its like having 2 steps in each piece. They attach to the tree with a cambuckle. My hangon is 12lbs and my steps are 10lbs for all 4 which can get me to 20+ feet. I can carry fewer steps if I want to hunt lower. I think its superior to climbers, especially for bowhunting.

Not trying to advertise but I did see that Fleet Farm had 2 ladder stands, a climber, and a platform all on sale this week. Savings I found compared to Cabelas/Redhead was about 20-25 bucks

bobb-o, I've never really looked at climbers because here in the central part of the state where I hunt I don't see alot of trees that a climber would work on, the box elders and oaks and most ashes are not going to let you use a climber. The only place where the trees are tall and staight would be in the middle of a big woods where the trees have self pruned. And I don't want the only tall straight tree to dictate where I set up, I want to pick the best spot regardless of trees.

harvey, The spot I was looking at did have a dead oak down that I can use as a ground blind, I picked a spot and cleared out some branches. If the deer come from the right I'd be ok but on the left I'd be awful exposed - thats why I was looking at a way to get up in the air more. The deer are really hitting the acorns in that spot so I'll probably give it try next week. Bad part is that it takes an east wind, which doesn't come that often.

Chucker, thats kind of what I was looking for! Wish I could afford the expensive one but the 33 pounder would be manageable and best part is that its actually made to be packed in. It has a small platform but I'm not up there to do a waltz, all I need is enough room to turn left or right.

Those Summit buck steps look interesting, I just went out to Cabelas and looked at them. I also have a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks that might work. The only thing is that at the age of 50 I really don't relish the idea anymore of hanging in the air at 16 feet trying to hang a portable, no matter how you get up there - climbing sticks, screw-ins, etc. Even with a good lineman style safety rope, you're leaning back into that way up in the air - if it gave away.... If I go thru that much work to hang the portable, I want to leave it there for a few weeks. Thats why I was looking at the portable ladder stand option.

After talking to some guys I'm also going to look harder at getting one of those Double Bull blinds.

Blackjack,I am in the same boat.Years ago I thought nothing of putting up hang on portables but at age 53,the climbers and ground blinds are much easier.I do still have 5 hang ons in the woods ready to go and still use them some what.

If you do look at the Double Bulls and decide its just too spendy, take a look at the Big Game Escape Deluxe. At $150 I think its a good blind for the money. Has the windows which can be raised and lowerd silently from the inside with elastic straps and nobs that you hook them onto. I like mine and found deer tracks all around it the day after I set it up and brushed it in. So maybe they'd like to join me for a morning hunt as well. grin.gif Mind you, you can't go wrong with the Double Bull but the Escape Deluxe is a nice blind for the money as well.

I just bought a Double Bull Matrix a few weeks ago and brushed in really good. It's a sweet setup and I'll let you know how it works in a week!