• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tear in my beer

kc0myy

This is a sad storie. Last friday I spent the night at my friends matt's house because we were going out goose hunting the next day. I was cleaning out the passenger seat. My gun benelli nova was sitting there. It was dark out and he put my gun on the roof of the car. Then we went to the store. We forgot about the gun. Then we heard a big thud AND I SAW SPARKS. frown.gif I thought it was my tool box. Then I asked Matt where he put my gun he said the roof. I teared up a bit. I made a u-turn and went back. we found it and pulled off to the side of the road. There were cars coming and they were running over the parts of my gun. It was like there was a wrench on my heart and every time a car would run over it that wrench turn tighter. When I got my nova I looked at it. The stock broke in two and the muzzle looked bent. The good thing is I have a good friend who is a FFL dealer and I got a nova the next day. I dont know how both Matt and I could have forgot about it. I just had a crappy and expense weekend. Also I am not saying its Matts fault. I also most cryed myself to sleep that night. But after I was talking to pete (FFL dealer) and he said he done the same thing with a remington 11-87 but that was brand new and he didnt find it. Its just one of those things you live and learn. frown.gif

that does suck, and something like that happens to everyone. I hope you drowned your sorrows away with some tall ones

kc, have you talked to your auto insurance company? If you have comprehensive insurance you might have coverage for this, minus your deductable. Are you a member of the NRA or other hunter organization? Perhaps there too, you may have some insurance protection.

Bob

I did the same thing to my Rem. 870 back when I was 18 or 19. I was driving a gravel road and went back when I saw something in my rear view mirror. I thought I hit a rabbit or something. I shot that gun for another 15 years. My friends would tease me about my "bent barrel" every time I missed a shot. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

If I did go thought the auto company I thought I would need to make a police report. My gun with parts plus my new gun was only $292. So it is a dent in the check book but nothing big.

I feel for ya man... Read my post from yesterday in the Archery forum... Believe me, I know the feeling....

I think your friend should be at least footing half the costs.....why in your right mind would you ever lay a gun across the top of your truck loaded or unloaded.....hunters safety classes??

Your gun, your shells, and your license. If you are in a boat your pfd. After years of hunting and seeing many silly scenarios, those are the rules I live with and have taught my sons. Anyone that hunts with me knows the rules. You can still hunt without your lunch. If I am riding in your car and you get a ticket you pay the fine. Crazy things happen when you are going out in the dark very early in the morning. Rule #1 no gun, no shells, no lic.=no hunt. Rule#2 if in boat, motor will not be started if anyone is not wearing the pfd. You can't go wrong.

Man that is some horrible news. I did the same thing with my SX2 about two weeks after I got it. Didn't total it but sure gave it some good scars. Sorry to hear it.

Just about did the same thing a couple years ago with my Browning ABolt rifle. We were loading up for the hunt and I was making room in the cab for a couple guys. Set the gun on the roof of the truck and everyone loaded up. Took off down the road and I heard a rattle on the roof. Instantly I knew what was going on. I slowed and got out and it was still there. Got luck for sure the sling was in the door so it couldn't move.

Well I felt really stupid for doing that. But after posting this and seeing how many other people did it. I don't feel as dumb.

We all have stupid moments from time to time.

I remember reading on the forums last year about a guy that tried backing his pick up with the topper open into his garage and bent the back door all up and broke the glass etc. I thought to myself you have to be pretty dumb to do that. Well a week later I did the exact same thing. So I can put myself in to that same dumb category.

Two years ago me and my bro. were at the range with our TC hand guns. For what ever rason after we done shooting and putting things in the truck he laid his TC on the roof of my truck. I drove a mile to the four lane and went to town to do somthing and then we went to my house, an hour later while unloading he relizes his gun is gone. To shorten this, his gun was found on the 4 lanevby some two very nice people that turned it in at the locale PD.