• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Howdy BigV friends!

I'll be coming up for 3 days to fish the PMTT next week. Heard there has been a decent algae bloom this season. Can anyone provide an update on the water conditions for the East End (where the tourney will be held)?

Have the cooler nights started to kill the bloom? Is it clearing up? How green did it get? What are the water temps today?

Any of that type of info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Magnum

I was up over the past weekend...still very green, visibility only about one foot...pea soup in some areas. Surface temps 68 in morning up to 72 in afternoon.

The average water temps are around 69 to 70 degrees.

I have not found the alge bloom to be that heavy.

Water is around 2 feet low.

Cliff

Cliff - has it dropped at all since the beginning of August?

Last time i was up, the East Two River barely had enough to get through at the mouth.. might need to take the boat out of the boathouse and put in at McKinley or something.

Hopefully I'll be coming up around the end of the month... maybe a but of bow hunting and some big mama walleye chasing...

I did all my "September" pre-fishing a few years ago. My 3 day trip to Vermilion in July of 2006 was just for personal enjoyment... and not prefishing purposes.

Sept. 13, 2003 some areas were Pea Soup with some spotty clean/clear areas. Temp was 66F.

Sept. 15, 2004 some areas were gin clear and others had a slight funk to them. Temp was 61F.

Sept. 5, 2005 the entire east end was clean/clear. Temp was 65F.

From this post it seems that this September the water will be greener than years past and warmer than years past. It will be fun to figure out a last minute adjustment... since I'll only get a 1/2 day to "pre-fish". cool.gif

Thanks for your help guys. I'll be up to see ya next Friday.

Magnum

Pea soup Magnum

At least that's what Frazer looks like, Big Bay is probably a little clearer, I saw 75 degrees on the surface earlier this week and as you would expect the fish were soaking up the rays, yesterday evening the water temp was 71, today it's supose to be 85 so the water temp might go up a degree or 2 but the forcast looks cooler so plan on a mid to low 60 degree weekend with big fish chewing. grin.gif

JLong,

Based on your own observations you know the lake differs from year to year, so your claim that pre-fishing previous Septembers is sufficient is disingenuous. Bottom line, instead of asking questions on here before any money tournament I wish contestants would get on the lake. By the way, I have never fished a tournament and have no plans to do so.

And yes, I know you won "the big one" a few years ago. That doesn't make you a local celebrity entitled to info that no other contestants are asking for. Do the people that help you get a cut? I doubt Cliff would object.

I'm not sure disingenuous applies to this particular situation. I would think something along the lines of unintelligent or dense. Personally, I would have used brainless or dim-witted.

Spent last weekend in Big Bay. Water temps were 70-72. Water was pretty green. I was thinking it was cause more by pine pollen than algae...Regardless, pretty soupy.

Only saw one muskie between two boats over 3 days. Lots of pressure.

ERW

Geez, Parker... what gives?

Of course I realize that september is a volatile month and each year is different. That's why I asked the simple question of what the water conditions were like. An innocent temperature check, that's all. Geez... its not like I asked if the fish were on top, the east side or west side of Arrowhead Reef. Or whether Bulldawgs were producing better than topwater. My goodness.

I'd love to come up and fish BigV all next week like most of the PMTT participants... but I don't have the time and $$$$.

Sorry for being excited to come back to your lovely playground... and asking an innocent question to help ease the anticipation of the trip. I'm really excited to get back up there... and have been daydreaming about what is gonna unfold next weekend. I apologize for being excited to come and fish one of the greatest musky lakes on the planet. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by asking for such sensitive information as water temps and clarity.

So.... how 'bout those Vikings? blush.gif

Magnum

isn't it sort of the wrong time of year for pine pollen? Looked like algae to me. But that was wrong end of lake.

Long,

My beef is with people that ask for information on here before money events. You are the only one that seems to do that on a regular basis. My feeling is that if you are going to fish in such events you should do your own research and not ask questions of people who do have the time and the money to obtain the info you seek. If you are gong to fish for money you should be willing to pay for info. If you are fishing for fun, like 99.99% of the people that frequent this board, the info is and should be free flowing.

Parker, are you kidding me????

Sure.... I can wait till next Friday to find out what the water temps and clarity are like... and I will. If you really think that the info provided on this board will help people win a tournament.... you are pretty naive in my opinion.

Like I said... I'm just anxious and excited to get back up to Vermilion and used this board to help give me a quick fix of the wonderful place. I'll certainly find my OWN fish (or try to), regardless of what conditions I encounter.

As for tournaments and fishing for money... well... I don't fish many tournaments.... because I too prefer to fish for FUN.... and I don't enjoy the added "pressure" that you gotta deal with in tournaments. There are enough people fishing Vermilion anyway... and the "community spots" are already overwhelmed with casual anglers.... so I'd much prefer to fish vermilion in a NON-tournament environment. Sure... the Simply Fishing event is what brought me to vermilion in the first place... but it was more of an "excuse" to invest the time to learn it... moreso than the $$$$. And because of that ONE tournament.... I now VACATION on Vermilion. AND... I can now use that "excuse" to convince my wife I should go back to Vermilion again next week. Its all a ploy to help increase my time on the greatest musky lake on the Planet... even if that means I gotta fish competitively. Please don't hold that against me.

And Parker... I contribute on this board even when a tournament is not coming to your home waters. This ain't just a place for your local "good old boy" club to hang out, ya know. Some of us "tourists" share the same interests as you.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the SNAGGING issue going on than about a few tournament anglers racing around your lake for a day and a half.

See ya Friday.

Magnum

Quote:

Long,

My beef is with people that ask for information on here before money events. You are the only one that seems to do that on a regular basis. My feeling is that if you are going to fish in such events you should do your own research and not ask questions of people who do have the time and the money to obtain the info you seek. If you are gong to fish for money you should be willing to pay for info. If you are fishing for fun, like 99.99% of the people that frequent this board, the info is and should be free flowing.

All of the information given out in this FM Forum is always free and freely given! smile.gif

Any and all info. is welcome and appreciated by all of us.

Cliff

Jlong,

Nope, not kidding at all.

Your last post made me chuckle. I had a whole reply typed up, but deleted it to spare everyone else the drama. Let’s just say I disagree with many of your points and intentions.

The only thing I will say is that I am a “tourist” too, not a “good old boy” although I wish I were! I agree with Cliff that many “tourists” as well as many “good old boys” share great information on this site. Long, if you look through that info you will often find the info you seek.

At the expense of getting flamed again by Parker.... how much did the water temps drop with the past few nights of frost. blush.gif

Magnum

Water temp yesterday evening was 66 degrees, most of the bloom is gone and visibility is improving.

Oh Ya

GO VIKES! wink.gif

Sure has been a fun season.

Up an down.

Bloom is tough on the nazel passages fer sure.

Don't like tournys much but good luck to all involved.

Be safe, have fun.

cool.gif

Long,

Why ask 2 weeks ago if you are going to ask the same question this week? What is the benefit? If you feel this is valuable information, even though it admittedly will not help you catch fish, why not just ask the day before you leave from home?

Parker... why do you have a problem with me asking for simple water temps?

Geez... lighten up.

Like I said earlier... I asked 2 weeks ago to help ease my anticipation of coming up to the lake. I found myself daydreaming about the wonderful lake Vermilion muskies... so went online and asked some questions to satisfy my need for a quick musky fix.

Sorry for being excited about my upcoming fishing trip.

And.... it surprises me to learn that Vermilion is 7 degrees warmer than most of the lakes in Northern Wisconsin that I've been fishing. That... I guess... is valuable information.

Sure wish I had the time and money to come up for an entire week... but will have to live with 2.5 days of fun and excitement. Thanks, Parker, for all your help.

Magnum

Magnum,

Sorry your getting bashed a little. Just wanted to say good luck on the tournament. I fished the trail last year and found it to be fun. Learned a heck of a lot of things. Not as much as Muskie Tom taught me , but he is like the all time Muskie God.(Tom does that remark get me a discount?)Figured this year to take a break from it. Alright...the truth is my wife said to take a break from it.. but I still wear the pants in the family grin.gif. Any way last week in my area of the lake the water was crystal clear after a heck of a bloom. Temps were 66 in the morning up to 70 in the afternoon. I am in the frazer bay area. Would love to give you some useful info but my old partner from last year who is in this thing would cut my nads off I think. Stay safe and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks SwenGlen Dude for the kind words, but I'm just a gy who likes to fish an help others enjoy their time on this beautiful lake we all love.

Handsome sure, but nothing special muskie wise.

If ya don't ask ya don't get Mom always said.

So nice try. grin.gif

Did enjoy fishen with you an the wife an the tour of your digs.

But I do have to buy gas an oil too?

Try getting a discount from your mechanic or dentist?

grin.gif

Give me a call this winter to set something up for some more fun. smile.gif

Be home for good come Halloween.

Like it says in the mens room:

Don't eat the big pink mint!

I aim to please.

You aim to please.

shocked.gif

I aim to please in many ways.

Magnum Jason is a good guy.

Have no doubt he is a very good position to do some damage this weekend.

Asking questions is qhat this is all about.

Fire awy Magnum.

wink.gif

Have never met Jason in person but have type talked to him a bunch the last couple winter seasons an enjoy products he has help bring to the muskie market an something special he an his wife have done this year is about to pay off for me big time.

laugh.gif

Good stuff.

Good writer too.

Enjoys the lake with family an frineds, an don't kill the fish he photos up, plus don't fish by my docks.

cool.gif

I say ask away Mag an best of luck to you an your partner.

I will be around on the lake again in the noonish hour tommorow, guiding.

Then buzzing you all this weekend an fishen where you can't.

shocked.gif

Things are looking real good for some serious fish to be caught.

So good luck to everyone.

Be safe, have fun, rip some lips.

GO Twins.

T.

Thanks Tom for the kind words.

I'm headin' up to your neck of the woods in a few hours.... so stop and say hello if you see me.

Word on the street is that the guys pre-fishing this week caught a ton of BIG fish. Hope there are a few left to catch...

Magnum

Hey Tommy, only kidding about the discount. Heck I know you got to make a buck. I think you should charge more. Steak, burgers and bratts are going up in price. Like you I will be buzzing the lake also this weekend. The info you taught me gots (gots really aint a word but it fits here)me some new spots that no one else is on and yes they hold fish. See you on the water Tommy. ZZ Top and Rush in my CD Player. cool.gif

Hmmmm.... I shoulda asked for a weather forcast instead of water temps shocked.gifcool.gif

Congrats to the winners of the PMTT event.

My partner and I blanked....

Magnum

Hi Magnum,

I was not in the tourney as stated before but I did go out Saturday at around 10:30 and at around 10:45 landed me a 42". Went to visit my old partner at the resort they were staying at and I rubbed it into his face till about 11:00 that night. laugh.gif Hey what are old partners for.

Yes! congrats to the winners, Dave & Jim did a super job. cool.gif

I couldn't believe the low number of fish registered, just a few days before the tournament there were Vermilion giants all over the rocks (it looked like July in September) and it appeared that it was going to be a record setting tournament, but like some say "that's muskie fishing"

Yah... the key words are "a FEW days before" the tourney. grin.gif

Classic.... "shoulda been here yesterday" story... heh heh.

A few fish were still on the rocks.... or edge of the rocks thanks to that lovely wind... but it seems that most of those "sunbathers" from earlier in the week headed out to sea for dinner during those wonderful frontal conditions. Needle in the haystack out in the basin... that's for sure.

A friend of mine was up all week... and he got a 50, 51 and 54. One each day from Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Then he never saw a fish the rest of the week. Doh!

Regardless of the conditions or results.... Vermilion is a wonderful place to be. Can't wait to come back again.

Magnum

Way cool about Jim & Dave winning the PMTT musky deal.

Sorry to hear Magnum Jason got Zeros.

Always next time.

Congrates to all who got fish an everyone else who had fun an enjoyed the lake an all she has to offer.

T.