• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early season success?

Just wondering how many of you hunted the early goose season. We had a group of about twelve,six of them were less than sixteen, and we got 26 geese. The kids had a blast. Our best luck was Sat. morning. Not to long ago, this wasn't even thinkable to do in Northern MN.

Hunted west of Alexandria on saturday and for the seven of us we got seven geese.

And totally soaked! Didn't make any difference how good your waterproof clothing you had on either, you got soaked.

Still had fun! grin.gif

Went out saturday and sunday with a fellow FM'er. He can remain nameless because I let him choose the spots and we shot a grand total of 0. shocked.giftongue.gif

anyway, there is lots of time left.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

15 total for our group of 5. We didn't do as good as expected but we managed 10 bands out of our 15 geese,always nice to get some bonus hardware!! We also got totally soaked most of the weekend looking forward to the upcomeing hunts!!!

Got 7 for the me and my brother on Sunday morning, get to hunt the next 7 days, so i should be able to add to the grand total. A couple of my friends didnt do as good only got 6 geese for 6 people in 3 days of hunting. What was everyone hunting on? We got ours on land. Good luck to everybody.

Well... my pa & I got 1. grin.gif

I can't say that we really worked that hard at it. We just hit our duck pond that we always hunt, through out the dozen GHG floaters I just picked up, and waited. We had a flock of 5 come in and dropped 1 of them. I still can't figure out how we only managed 1 but I guess that is goose hunting.

The more I goose hunt, the more I realize how important it is to have more guns in the blind. Opportunities can be few but you have to capitalize when you have the chance.

It was fun talking to the teal, mallards, and ringbills that kept landing in and swimming around the decoys.

Me and a buddy got 2 geese sat. morn and nothing on sunday. there were a few geese flying but not much we had 3 flocks land in the same field we were in but they would not decoy. It was still nice to get out.

Hey Mr. Wizard,

I'm also hunting in Ham Lake. Were abouts are you? we are east of 65, hunting sod. With those numbers I assume you were close to majestic oaks.

we ended up with 51 geese in a day and a half with 7 guys. we were hunting just east of monticello. not to bad.

Did not do well.

Two morning hunts -- 2 geese total for three guys.. Just didn't get a lot of chances.

Three evening hunts -- zero geese. Didn't even see any.

Personal message, but they have it turned off for some reason. I really don't want to give specifics on the location on the forum. Golf course?? How did you know the 13th fairway was the "X". email me for private chat. [email protected]

SW MN was dry.We ended up with only three, but 1 had a $100 reward band on it! Between that and the fact that 2 of em were shot off a golf course that hadn't opened yet, it turned out to be a memorable day.

Group of five of us got 20 in two days and another group up in our area got 19 in three hours Sunday morning in the field we were originally going to be able to hunt. Great work for my 16 month old.

Didnt do so great we had 2 groups mine had 2 people and the other had 3 we shot 5 birds and the other group got 1. We got 2 flocks to come over one about 30 yards away and we picked 3 out of there and another we pass shot and i got one about 50 yards up. Still fun to get out there and do a little shotin!!

hunted sat/sun/mon and shot 38 and then 12 more on monday morning but I was not with. Hunting in the TRF area.

horrid opening weekend, which was somewhat expected after seeing all the area geese going into the same field (which doesn't allow for hunting).

oh well...heading north this afternoon for an evening of scouting, followed by two days of goose hunting...expecting to do much better!

at least the doves cooperated

SA/wdw

9/1 we went 25-25, 9/2 went 15-20, 9/3 went 9-20, 9/4 went 15-15, 9/7 went 10-10. This was SD and overall I was real happy this first week. The birds were hitting us hard and the majority of shots were in our face even on the days we didnt fill out. You can really tell there was a good hatch with all the young dumb birds.

..."young dumb birds" is right...

we hunted last weekend north of benson and got a few each day, mostly running traffic after the first flock to come in saturday morning was busted by some ****'s driving around following flocks of geese flying off a few lakes. they got what came to them though in the form of a nice big ticket from what i hear. had the same flock of 4 young ones circling our spread after an initial volley; managed to call them back around three times, each time dumping one bird! anyways heading back up to minnesota this afternoon to give it a try again...hopefully the results will be a little better than last weekends 10 birds over three days. oh well theres always the doves!

Well, after getting the itch to go yesterday, I headed out this morning for a few hours on a local lake and had some fun. First time out this year. The clouds, cool temps and wind really paid off as the geese decoyed very nicely. If it wasn't for the cool day yesterday and seeing a flock of 30+/- geese circling a field, I would have never gone out today. Glad I did. wink.gifgrin.gif

p9090458bq3.jpg

this cool weather has the birds moving all day it seems. Our group had a toatal of 61 for the season after this mornings hunt. Great calling and even better shooting are the main reasons we are getting a lot of birds. All the flocks with 7 or fewer birds that came in had no survivors.

I didn't do as well as basscatcher but my son and myself got 1 and my son had a blast he hit the first goose that he shot at and it didn't come down and I was busy missing the one I was aiming at so I couln't help him. We didn't have the clouds and got out a little late,as I was dragging the boat into the weeds the gesse were already coming to the decoys and no guns ready well thats hunting . The main thing was to see my son enjoy himself and he did.

Early season has been real good for us. It'd be even better if half the geese ever came back to the field!

We have had minimal luck so far. Not very consistant birds as of yet. One day we will see many birds and the next day very few. For the most part we are only seeing small flocks and they are very jumpy alredy.

Biggest trouble we are having up by us is the dry ground conditions. The farmers were in the fields early and dug them deep so camo is tough. Hard to find dirt camo.. Even the blinds are sticking out like sore thumbs. But the birds we are getting are all adults and big birds.

The one thing I found really exciting about my outing was being out there before the sun came up, sipping on my favorite brand of coffee, listening to everything on the lake, in the field behind me, the annoying rooster (not pheasant) crowing constantly about 1/2 mile away at a farmplace and then as it started to just get light out, a few ducks here and there buzzing right along the shoreline in front or over me and scaring the begeebees out of me! wink.gifgrin.gif