• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
PierBridge

Steve Irwin "Crocodile Hunter" killed by stingray.

PierBridge

Crocodile Hunter

Real sad news......

RIP ...... Steve ......

Gissert

Very sad indeed. My daughter has a video of he and the Wiggles at the Austrailia zoo. She loves that tape and I'll admit to sitting down and watching with her whenever she puts it in.

Valv

That's too sad. I like the guy, a very interesting character.

fisherking01

Can't say I'm surprised, but I am saddened, he was a great entertainer and brought many closer to nature than Wild Kingdom! I hope there is a tribute crock hunter show.

FISHINGFARMER

Very sad news to hear this morning. Always an interesting program to watch when he was the host of them.

Of all the creatures he encountered to hear it was by a stingray that is to be in most part not aggressive.

cold one sd

He will be missed by many including me. I always thought he would die from a poisonuos snake bite. I guess it could have been from a car accident just as easily. frown.gif

The Grebe

I'm not surprised that he was killed doing what he loved to do. He put himself in some truely deadly situations and I guess I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner...he had some close calls.

The reptiles and other critters he dealt with, are made for killing things in one manner, or another. If you play with fire long enough, your going to get burned! Still a sad thing...he had so much enthusiasm that he kind of drew you along with him!

I don't know? I've always thought that those guys were going to be killed doing what they do...just like that guy that was documenting the Grizzley bears....wound up getting both him and his girlfriend killed.

Corwin and that other skinny guy that messes with poisonous snakes are probably in line for some unfortunate event, if they keep doing what they are doing, unless they are dam lucky!

But, they are doing what they like to do and they know and accept the risk...still really sad when one of them buys the farm though. frown.gif

Matt Johnson

Yeah, I saw that this morning. Very sad situation. Steve seemed like a good man who really enjoyed his work. I enjoyed watching his shows.

G_man

I always thought the guy was a little crazy. Not that anyone should have to go prematurely and unexpectedly. They stated on CNN that he actually had a heart condition that in combination with the sting caused him to go.

Wade Joseph

Its a sad day for those who know wildlife and know that populations need to be controlled. He was an oponent of "trophy" hunting but realized the importance of selective harvest. He seemed like a good guy and its sad his children will never know him as they should.

IFallsRon

Stingray got him in the heart. I've gotta think that has never happened to anyone.

Hoffer

I agree with the above post and have to believe that is such a "freak" accident. I also second the above post regarding his children. I think he had 2 young kids and that is a very sad story.

Tyler Holm

This man did wonders for sharing his love of the outdoors with millions of fans. It's a tragic loss.

Steve's always been a top notch fella in my book and the channel clicker always paused on the Animal Planet & Discovery Channel for a few seconds to see iffin he was on.

He was a stand-up kinda guy and I will continue to look to look at him as a "role model" in terms of his passion and love for the outdoors and its "beautiful" wildlife creatures.

Big Julie

Anyone know how a stingray stings?

Don't they come up over their back like a scorpion?

To get stung in the heart wouldn't you have to be laying on your back on the ray?

???

cold one sd

He was swimming up and over the back of the stingray. He may have been toward the tail. I heard that a camera man in front of the animal may have spooked it. Don't know for sure, just what I have heard.

Whoaru99

Quote:

I agree with the above post and have to believe that is such a "freak" accident. I also second the above post regarding his children. I think he had 2 young kids and that is a very sad story.

Yeah, a freak accident. Heard somthing about "experts" saying there have been only 3 to 17 deaths (exact number disputed amongst experts) EVER attributed to stingrays and these numbers include Irwin.

cold one sd

Stingrays are just one of the reasons that I live where I do. Don't have much trouble with crocks, king browns or sharks here either. wink.gif