• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eating Geese

Two weeks ago I thawed out one of my last goose breasts from last year. Put it in marinade over night then slapped it on the grill. Very dry, very tough!

I know there is a recipe forum, but because this is specific to waterfowl and I believe I'd get a better response in this forum, I was wondering if everyone could share how you like to make your geese. Any good recipes on how to make a good, tender, tasty goose breast? That last one I made was pretty much rawhide, but I ate it anyway. tongue.gif

Jerky, jerky or jerky are the options I use with geese.

But I just don't have much of a taste for waterfowl honestly. The jerky turns out wonderful!

Here you go basscatcher.

I'm a simple cook.

1- Crock Pot

1- Goose breast cut into approximately 1"x1" cubes or so

1- Can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup

-- Little bit of water

Set on low and let sit all day.

Simple, tender, and Mmmmmm.... blush.gif

I'm guessing your goose may have been tough because it was froze for nearly a year. Might not have been but could have been a factor.

slow cooker, can of cream of chicken or mushroom and a half can of diet coke. Start it in the morning.

A buddy made it last year at the cabin and it was awesome.

Last time I made goose, I got one of those slow cooker helpers for a pot roast(next to hamburger helper). Just sub the goose instead of the beef, add some spices and whatever else you might like in there. It turned out great. The duck I tried that way didn't turn out so well though, so this is pretty much for geese only.

Put the breast in the crock pot with a pot of coffee. Let it cook on low all day. Drain the coffee and shread the meat. Add your favorite BBQ suace. Loose Goose Sandwich.

Or

Cube breast meat into 1" squares. Marinate in 1/2 red wine 1/2 Zesty Italian dressing for a couple of days. Put meat on cabob sticks with bacon. Grill until the bacon looks done. Duck and goose should be served medium rare to keep from drying out.

For goose breast, try cutting them into thin strips about the size of your index finger. Flower and salt and pepper in a bag and put in strips and shake to coat them. Put in a pan and fry - yes fry them up. Very important-- use butter flavored Crisco instead of regular oil. The butter flavored Crisco is the most important part. I also do my ducks this way. Never used to care for duck till I tryed this out.

I'm with BLB...I make jerky out of nearly all of mine...Personally, I think the cajioun flavor removes a lot of the "wild game" taste...People who say they don't like duck or goose, really can't tell when it is jerky. It is usually a huge hit at work too...

Here's my favorite:

Goose Breasts

1 package of dried Au Juus

1 package of dried Italian Dressing Mix

1 Can of Beef Broth

Place the goose in a slow cooker, add the ingredients, and mix well. Cook for about 6 hours.

I've had guys who swore they'd never eat goose, wiping the plate clean with a piece of bread and looking for more.

Here's one my kid daughter and her friend returned for seconds when before hand they both turned up their noses when I offered them goose.

1. Crock pot

2. Goose breast(s)

3. Onion soup base. I made my own using onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery, salt, pepper, and water but I might try Lipton Onion Soup mix the next time.

4. Simmer all day.

5. Enjoy the most tender and flavorful goose you ever have! grin.gif

Bob

Wow, those all sound like great recipes!

I've tried the goose jerky before, some that a co-worker had made. It was pretty darn good and you really couldn't tell it was goose.

I'll have to thaw out the last breast I have in the freezer (gotta make room for more now anyway!). grin.gif I think I'll just go right down the list of suggestions as you guys have posted and give EACH a try throughout the season! wink.gif

Thanks much for all the tasty lookin' recipes!

I put twist on the goose a few years back for chistmas and it was a hit

usually done with whole plucked goose but I've done breasts as well

goose breast , in a crock pot slice some apples and lay on bottom then lay down goose then spinkle 1/2cup of brown sugar over it,then 1/2-1 cup of molasses 2 cups of water let cook on low all day then enjoy.

whole goose stuff cavaity with above fixings minnus the water and baste the outside with molasses and roast like a turkey.

For those guys that jerky their goose, do you have a recipe? Or do you bring it in somewhere?

Quick and easy, best I've had, works well for venison loins too.

Ingredients: Goose breast whole, 1/4 stick butter, cooking sherry, flour/salt/pepper, olive oil, grape/berry jam

Roll the whole breast in flour/salt/pepper mix. Place in hot pan with olive oil for 30 seconds a side to brown. Remove from pan and thin slice breast 1/4 inch thick. Meat will still be raw. Place back into the hot olive oil for ~30 seconds a side, this is plenty to cook it through. Remove meat turn heat to low and add a little sherry to deglaze the pan, add butter and a little jam and melt/mix it. Add meat back to pan and stir the mix over the meat, cook for 1 more min and you are done. Tender enough to cut with a fork and great taste.

Do Not Overcook

I like to marinate whole breasts overnite in a combination of Coke or Dr. Pepper and zesty italian salad dressing. Before throwing them on the grill, slit them open and put a favorite BBQ sauce in the middle, close 'em back up and wrap the breasts in bacon and hold together with toothpicks. Awesome...although now I see I'm going to have to experiment with all these other recipes I've seen! Good luck!

One of My Favorite's

First you lay the goose breast's in glass baking dish. You season them with your favorite all spice type seasoning. Slice up green,red and orange peppers and arrange them on top of the goose.

Second you pour Captain Morgan spiced Rum into the pan, just enough to cover the meat. Put the dish into the oven and bake on 300 for approximately 2 hours, adding a little Rum as needed to keep covered due to evaporation.

Third you remove the pan from the oven and let cool. Throw the peppers and goose into the trash and drink the Rum. grin.gif

To go along with "snowgoose" The loose goose meat is very good. I have done this before, just not with coffee. You can make up your favorite home made BBQ sauce. If you end up stripping enough meat for a large feed. You will have sore thumbs.

Slow roast goose breast in apple juice or orange. Remove meat and shred.Layer in baking pan with StoveTop dressing mixed with mush. soup....(layer of meat, layer of dressing etc). Bake in oven for 30mn remove and enjoy...

Von Hansons will make you up a tasty batch of sticks for a little over a $100. We prefer the hot cheese. We also have a batch made up with most of our pheasant. I believe they like 20 pounds or so at a time.

If you get a young goose that is tender enough to eat: Cut the breast in half or thirds depending on the size steak you want. Butterfly, stuff with red and yellow peppers, wrap entirely in bacon and throw on the grill.

Here how I get birds out of my freezer.

Marinate breast in 1/2 of a can of beer and 1 cup BBQ sauce. Preferrably over night.

Cut breast into 2" cubes. Try to make all cubes the same size.

Wrap each cube in a slice of bacon and secure with a tooth pick.

Grill on a charcaoal gril with indirect heat for about 45 min. turning once.

I have taken these to parties with a crowd that I suspected to be somewhat "anti-hunting" and they finished em off and ask me to bring em every year.

I like to make jerkey or smoke the breasts in the smoker. It I am cooking the bird I will take the breasts off of the breast bone, and brown them in a frying pan.. Then I will add a 1/2 cup of h20 to a can of cream of mushroom soup put in a pan and set in the oven at 350 for an hour or so depending on the thickness of the breat. Had my geese this way the other night and they turned out phenomenal.

Good Hunting!

For Mike in Lino III

Making jerky at home.

You need a grinder, a dehydrator and a jerky gun

I buy the NESCO brand seasoning at Walmart. (I like to mix the cajun and the original types together)

1) Grind goose meat.

2) Add NESCO seasoning and cure. (One package of each per pound of meat)

3) Shoot on trays with NESCO jerky gun.

4) Let it dry for about 6 hours at the high setting on your dehydrator turning the meat and rotating the trays one time at about 4 hours.

Warning: Your house will smell like jerky for a day or so after you are done. I try to make my jerky in the summer in the garage so the wife doesn't have to smell it.

I put mine in food saver bags and bring it out whenever I want some.

Best Way to make jerky is to cut the breast into thin strips and then soak it in a brine(any will do but brines with orange or apple juice are best) for a full twenty four hours. Then remove the strips and thread on a kabob stick. Set in the smoker for approximately four hour on 180 degrees.

its called jerkey,, I use high mountain rubs the cajun spices rubbed on sliced goose with some brown sugar rubbed in on top is amazing,, I use a gas smoker with apple chips

Preparation is part of it make sure you are removing all the blue skin from the meat as this is where most wild game will get the off taste from. Marinate your cubed goose or duck in what ever you like me personally it's Teriaki and herb with a slpash of lemon juice, an A-1 over night. Wrap in bacon, slice up a sweet onion, green and orange bell pepper and proced to scewer em on a kabob. Slow cook on the grill until the bacon and the vegies are done don't over cook it or it will be tough. You won't be dissapointed I've served this to people that said they'ed never eat goose or duck again and they loved it.

my favorite way of eating goose is this.

1. take 2 breast and have them smoked

2. take out the crok pot

3. throw both breasts in.

4. crank crok pot on high.

5. Open a cold Beer

6. throw in 2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce.

7. Crack open another beer. (the first one should be done by now)

8. after a few hours with take a fork and stir the maet up..it should be tender enough and should just fall apart.

9. grab a couple hamburger buns and now you got your sandwich meat...with a cold frosty! grin.gif

I want to thank everyone for sharing all the different recipes for making geese! I'm gonna start at the top of the list and work my way down through basically each one of them. This morning, I started with the crockpot and cream of mushroom soup, except that I used woodview's recipe which basically combines hanson's with a 1/2 can of diet coke. I'm a little leary of the coke thing as it looked a little weird in the crockpot, but I'll give it a shot and see how my tastebuds handle it. wink.gif

Thanks everyone. I've got some geese now that I'm going to experiment with. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my favorite.

I take the 2 slabs of breast meat and soke them in heavy salt water overnight. Rinse off and i smoke them , anyhow you can. I use a simple old grill build a good fire on one end using wood, let the fire burn down to coals, then add a piece of wood everynow and then . put the breast on the other side of the grill and slow cook-smoke them till done . Then i slice the breast in strips like 1/2 inch jerky . Its the best ive tasted to my preference. Great to eat while out hunting for more.

Hey Basscatcher... whenever using recipies that call for Coke, always use Coke Classic. Never use Diet coke. You need the sugars in the pop to make it right. I've been told the diet coke will actually increase the bitterness. We do the coke thing all the time...

w/ goose or venison

Season meat with salt/pepper and/or whatever you wish

Set in crock pot

sprinkle on 1/2 pkg of Liptons onion soup mix over the meat

add can of Coke Classic

a little bit of minced garlic

Cook on low 6-8 hours

The last hour or so, add a package of frozen pearl onions

thicken gravy after removing meat

slice and serve over rice, potatoes or noodles

DELICIOUS!

Good Luck!

Ken

tried something new on my geese --- took 2 goose breasts and merinated them with bbq sauce 1/2 cup then 2cups pickle juice ,1tbsp black pepper, 3-4 tbsp italian herb seasoning (Durkee Grill Creations) mixed all ingredients together then used a meat tenderizor on breasts,then merinated over night. I grilled them but I'm sure you could bake this also.I also used some of the merinate to brush on the goose while grilling. It was real tasty .