• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper river

so haaad

Anyone have any reports from the upper stretch from TF to Stillwater? Tunrevir?

I was out two weeks ago from Log House Landing on up past the train bridge. Fishing was a little slow, although I was with the lady so camping took priority over fishing.

S.Haaad,

Been busy with the wife and family but I have made a few forays upriver this summer. The bite has been a bit off as far as the crapies are concerned. The upside is that with the low water and nearly stationary current the sunfish have run quite large. The crappies have been hit or miss and in 15-22' the sunfish have been pretty busy in 1-3', even had a few chase the shad raps I was trolling! Eyes have been busy down there early and through most of the summer but I did make the foray upriver towards the dam earlier then usual this year because I haven't been able to find the crappies like in years past. Well upriver towards the dam, I did a big zip for the crappies but I did manage a few huge drum, a 10" perch a few smallies and a cat or two. I'm looking foreward to the fall and hoping with a few rains and some cooling the crappie bite will pick up! Right now, I'm heading to the Flambeau this weekend for some eyes, smallies, cats and even a sturgeon or ski or two, next weekend I'm off to Mille Lacs for the first "fall" troll of the year if the weather permits, the weekend after, I'm headed up the Gunflint with my wife for a bit of troutin and maybe a few eyes and the following weekend is the River rat tourney on the Croix which I am looking foreward to. The next weekend is the next full moon on Mille Lacs and I hope to get out and do the fall troll again! If I can find some time I will be in the woods and bowhunting in between. I love this time of year! I am hoping to get a few weekday trips upriver for eyes and crappies later this fall once the bite starts to take off. Interested? The "tin can" doesn't get put away early and I am actually toying with hitting Mille Lacs on the Dec. full moon if the weather cooperates. Might not be able to find someone foolish enough to fish open water at that time but having the lake all to oneself is not bad either! Stay in touch. Camping with a lady is good, fishing with one is better especially if she is willing to put up with the primitive atmosphere. Never to early to get someone hooked on fishing, the scenery will often do it for most folks.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

tunrevir,

Sounds like you've been as busy as I have been lately. Last weekend I had a family baptism, and the weekend before that I had a wedding. Let me know if you are up for a week night fish on the Croix. I should be up for it. Mon, Tues and Thursdays work best for me. Or possibly even a bow outing.

Haaad

So haad, I'm heading to the Gunflint on thursday in the a.m. and will be back on Sunday p.m. I might be able to swing a quick trip the following week before the river rat tourney but it is low percentage. The weekend of the 7th is a Mille lacs weekend and then it it's full tilt back to the river and bow hunting. Stay in touch and we'll hit the river or the bowstand. I can probably get you out around F.lake if your are looking for a place to hunt in the evenings. By the way, the crappies are biting on the Croix above the dam. Look for them suspended in 16-18' over 20-24' of water and also check the brush/rock piles. Good fishing!

Tunrevir~

tunrevir,

Sounds good. Let me know when you have some time to get out on the water.

Quote:

I can probably get you out around F.lake if your are looking for a place to hunt in the evenings.

Sounds great. I'm actually looking for places around FL for after work.

So haad,

I will put you on some woods and get you out. Used to hunt them myself but don't have the time right now with 3 little ones. My dad has an 80 just north of F.Lake on hwy 8. I have a 20 just west of town over the bridge off broadway. I'll do my best to get you out. We should meet up for lunch one day this next week or two and actually meet face to face. I'll be back this Sunday late and have afterwork commitments on weds and Friday but if yo are in the area as much as you say you are we should do lunch and compare notes a bit. Fall is here and I am so pumped for the bow hunting and fall walleye bite!

Tunrevir~

p.s.(I still need a rope holder for the winter Croix spot for walleyes and crappies!)

tunrevir,

You up for lunch on Tuesday or Thursday? You can pick the time and place. My scedule next week is actually pretty flexible. Haaad

This is a 2nd try at getting the post to set up. I would be willing to meet for lunch at the Jelly Jar at say 11:45 for lunch on Thursday. Sorry for getting back to you late, I just got the computer back from the fix it shop and back from Grand Marais yesterday in the p.m. so I just got your post. Will Thursday work out? You can post it here as I typically check it in the a.m. before work and after work(yes, I am a FM-aholic, and proud of it!). Looking foreward to meeting you to swap some fishing stories and a bowhunting yarn or two.

Tunrevir~ (a.k.a. Randy)

Randy,

I'll see you at 11:45 on Thursday at the Jelly Jar. I'll probably park in the back on the lake side. I've got a blue grand cherokee, so look for that. I'm 33 and probably will be wearing some kind of khakis (yep, definitely work related!). Aaron

S.haad, See you at the jelly Jar on Thursday, 11:45. Bring your stories both fishing and otherwise.

Tunrevir~(silver GMC crew cab)

Sohaad,

Was really nice meeting you. I hope I didn't cut you off to much in my zealousness to talk fishing/hunting. I think you wuill find the property is a pretty nice piece to hunt. I could walk it with you sometime and show you where I have had success. I was pretty impressed with the 2 deer in a day out of standing corn. Good work. I look foreward to fishing with you this winter and maybe even hunting this fall. Take care!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Tunrevir,

Nice meeting you also. It was fun sharing a few fishing/hunting stories. Looking forward to wetting a line with you this winter or whenever or maybe even hunting together. Thanks for the hunting permission, I greatly and respectfully appreciate it. I was able to contact Chisago County today and get an air photo with property boundaries of the property. Yes, it pays to have a few connections. smile.gif If I can, I'll see if I can get a blown-up version for you. Keep in touch. Let me know if you want to grab lunch again. Aaron

Sohaad, sounds good to me. Lunch is always good, especially with some fishing and hunting thrown in. I would be happy to walk the property with you and give you my best spots(previous years). I look foreward to future fishing forays as well and hope I might be able to put you onto some venison this year. I know from experience that coming into a new area it is tough to secure permission but after meeting with you and chatting for a bit I know you are an ethical person. Good to know there are still people around that respect the priviledge to hunt and fish. You go a long ways towards forewarding that and I applaud you. After this weekend fishing the Croix, I will be looking into hitting the wood for some deer. If you have a free night that we can meet then I'll walk out with you and show you where I have had previous luck and hopefully, you will too. If not, hunt away my friend and if you shoot a really big one post some photoes or give me a ring. My home e-mail is parentfamily_5@msn. Lok foreward to fishing and maybe a bit of hunting in the near future!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Tunrevir,

I will not be able to make it out bow hunting this week. I have work-related training in Brainerd this week, and then my dad and I will be out around Alex for the duck opener. I'm hoping to make it out bow hunting next week sometime. I got out today at lunch and took a brief walk up the first field to the woods edge on your property. Wow, what a great day to be outside! It was hard to go back to work. Your property looks really promising. There's corn on that south field of yours and also on the property just to the west. Saw a few recent tracks. If you have some time next week to get out maybe we can meet up. Let me know. Also, you have mail at your home email.

Sohaad,

It must be pretty tough to go up to Brainerd for "training" for work. So that's what you told the higher ups huh? Lots of lakes up that way, not to far from the home farm, hmmmm. Good planning my friend! I fired off an e-mail to you as well. Lets do the hunt next week.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...