• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've always wondered about using "overdrive" when pulling my boat". The owners manual says you can , but I've been told it's a sure way to shorten the life of your tranny, so I don't.(It would be better gas milage, but.....) Just curious what others do. I was also told that people who pull boats or trailers should have their tranny fluid changed every 30k or so. Any thoughts? L2f

L2F, I know some manufacturers say you can pull up to so much weight in overdrive, but being in the business I've never heard anyone recommend it, in fact the standard recommendation is to never pull in overdrive. I never use overdrive when I'm pulling anything. As far as changing your tranny filter and fluid, it's a very good idea every 30,000 miles or so when your pulling or working it hard. Hope this helps.

Love2fish4ever, If you post this in the equipment forum you may get more looks.

Sifty

i have two freinds in the tranny bussiness, and they have both said to always turn the over drive off when pulling!( course both told me to go ahead as it was good for thier bussiness! frown.gif) spend the extra on gas. it is cheaper than having a tranny redone!

I have never used 'OD' and never had a problem. I think a lot of it depends on the weight of your boat.

For the little bit of gas you will use versus the possible loss of a spendy tranny I would take it out of overdrive just to be safe.Tranny fluid cahnged every year for sure.

Only had the transmission fluid changed in my truck once since '99 and there is a lot of "boat and truck" miles on my rig. 189,000 to be exact. Also, my dad has ran 18 - 19' Pro-V's for several years now and follows the same program I do, which isn't much of a program. grin.gif Maybe I've been lucky but so be it.

Hey, Thanks for the replies guys! As I said I don't pull in overdrive, & I didn't think most people did, but when I was in my owner's manual for something else I ran across that & was sort of surprised. (but then they aren't paying for the repairs either smirk.gif) Otter, it sounds like you a good truck there, I think a persons driving habits are a contributing factor too. Continued good luck to all, L2f