• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have heard from a couple of people that in the frazer bay area that an individual is shooting/spearing muskies because his daughters are afraid of them. I do not want to mention the name as I have not seen this action as of yet, but I have seen 4 dead muskies with what appears to be a hole in them. I also heard that this individual brought in a 54" to one of the marinas that he speared. Has anyone on this board heard of this also and better yet does the DNR know of this? Please understand that I am not trying to offend anyone here but if these allegations are true, I guess I would like to know what I can do about it (legally). I love this lake and plan on being a watcher of this lake. I know one person cannot make a difference but I sure can try.

Muskieswen

(Glen Swenson)

Call the TIP line. If there are witnesses, the DNR should be able to deal with it. Spearing game fish is against the law except for evil northern pike in the winter.

I find it amazing that he would be doing this in a public manner and not have been turned in already.

Delcecchi,

Good idea with the tip line. Maybe if they are aware of the situation they can monitor him and catch him in the act. I guess I was not thinking of calling them untill I had real proof but calling could be a good start.

Im glad to hear of this topic..because about three summers ago my dad caught a huge musky..in the 53 inch range..as he worked it.. there was a man on shore screaming at us if we kept it..we told him we were strictly catch and release and he replied oh good maybe I have a chance at spearing him now.which we were sickened at...my dad thought maybe he was talking about doing the spearing after summer...I debated I dont think anytime is legal..it left a bad taste in our mouth but made no issue of this seeing he was a resident on the west end and figured he knew the laws better than us...I agree Muskys are a awesome fish...I want them still to be in abdundance when my daughters are grown up..Im behind you 100% its a beautiful lake and any measures to be taken on this kind of behavior is totally acceptable.. tongue.gif

Swen

Where's his cabin ?

I want to go fish by his dock. shocked.gif

I'm sure the other 150 boats that fish muskies on any given day want a crack at these fish to, please post where he lives grin.gif

Yep

That one had a bad day!

How long was it?

There's been a lot of floaters this year, most from mis handleing some from a certain bait that they like to inhale and it ends up in the gills.

I even killed my first this year, unintentional of course, it's in a freezer waiting for the taxidermist man.

My son and I have only fished Vermillion once, but when we were up there we talked to a guide named Terry who said that he knows of or has heard of muskies still being killed by "walleye" fisherman who don't want them in the lake. Not to put a bash on all walleye fisherman, as we know it only takes a bad apple or two to ruin things. He said he will occasionally find a dead muskie with its belly slit or head bashed in. Doesn't sound like it occurs as much as the old days, but if it happens at all, that's just sick. Wondering if any of you have encountered such a thing.

I am not a musky fisherman, I am one of those "walleye fisherman", but I still think it is sick that someone is spearing these giant fish because his kids are scared. mad.gifmad.gif

If someone sees this call the tip line and try to stop this from happening.

Sad deal indeed if someone is poaching muskies or any other fish for that matter. I have all the CO's numbers in my cell plus a very good pair of bincos in my boat at all times. If I see anything going on you can bet I will call immediately and I am not alone.

Jim Roerig

I am a walleye fisheman who is just learning the musky fishing trade and I would call the TIP line even if you don't have proof. They would then be alerted and could investigate. Where there is smoke, there is a fire below so I would go with my gut on this. There is no excuse for spearing or shooting any fish in the lake. mad.gif

Sounds like the kids need to toughen up and the old man needs a dose of rationality. My 2 cents.

Silver scale,

Could you post the CO's number so I can load it into my cell also. I like the comment about toughning up. Last year I had 3 muskies living under my dock pretty much all summer. We would jump off the dock, swim alittle bit, come in, jump off again, and on and on we went. Later that afternoon my wife jumps in and me and the boys are on the dock waiting our turn I guess when we see one of the muskies do the old submarine rise right behind the wife. He looked like he was suggesting to her and us, alright that's enough splashing for the day, we are trying to rest here then down periscope he went nice and easy back under the dock. We flipping laughed are arses off. It seriously looked like he was indicating enough is enough. It was priceless.

CO #

Brad Schultz - Cook 666-6166

Dan Star - Tower 741-5868 Cell 290-0622

Lt Mike Ramstorf - Eveleth 744-7446

Hibbing - 263-3995

As someone who has a cabin in the Frazer Bay area, I am a little worried about gunfire into the water. Isn't that rather dangerous considering it could riccochet? We too have numerous muskies in shallow under our docks. I've tossed everything in the book at them, and have yet to have one so much as flinch. I did think about jumping in and trying to wrestle one, but after seeing what a 12 lb Northern once did to a daredevil, I decided it wasnt the best idea.

Yes... spearing or shooting muskies is rather disturbing. But don't forget about those unethical people intentionally snagging fish out there too. May not kill them... but it certainly isn't good for 'em.

If the rumors are true... I hope you find this guy and correct the situation.

Magnum

silver scale,

Thank you for the phone numbers.

Magnum,

You would not happen to be on breezy point now would you?

I do not live in the area but fish the lake yearly. I am an avid walleye fisherman, but never would I do such a thing. Hopefully this guy will get whats coming to him. If this guys daughters are afraid of the fish, then he needs to invest in a swimming pool, not a spear. Good Luck.