• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fuel Line Problem on Alumacraft Tourn. Sport 175

Fishook

Question

Submitting this for a friend in Missouri who runs a 2005 Alumacraft Tournament Sport 175 with a 140 Suzuki. He is experiencing major problems with the fuel flow/fuel line. The motor starts great and runs great when it runs. He will be going along just fine and the motor will cutout and quit. A few pumps on the bulb and he is back in business. This cycle may repeat itself 3-6 times on a 20 mile run. When adding fuel, it is like he can not get any fuel in the tank without it almost overflowing immediately. Obviously that is not due to a full tank. He has had it to the dealer at least 4 times, they monkey with the vents, fuel lines, etc. and tell him he is good to go. Not so. He has now contacted the dealer and made arrangements for Alumacraft to pick the boat up and get the problem fixed. I thought I would put a feeler out on FM to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem or could offer some ideas or suggestions. He has had this rig to Canada 5 times now and had problems everytime out. Other boats in our group have had no problems so don't think it is a fuel quality issue back at camp. On behalf of my buddy, thanks for any help.

4 answers to this question

If he experiences overflowing when filling up tank he has a bend on overflow hose, gas sits there then when he fills up air tries to escape from hose blowing through and looks like it's overflowing.

Gas tank might get into vacuum since there's no venting and pump cannot pickup gas. If this is the case Alumacraft has to pickup the tab since they have to pull floor and fix vent hose (brobably cut too long). Try to tell him to run with open gas cap, this way tank can vent through filler hose.

Thank you for the reply. As usual, Valv, you provide great information in easy to understand terms. I do want to ask one question. Is it safe to run with an open gas cap? I am not by any means a mechanical genius but that sounds like it could be a bit risky to me. Just want to follow up on that suggestion. I did forward you first response to my friend in Columbia, MO. Thanks again.

Is it good to run that way for a long time? No, probably not. But, it would be fine if, once he was on plane, to open the gas can and see if the problem gets better...

Then you'll have an idea where to start.

marine_man

If you (or your friend ) are smokers definitely the risk is a little high, just take precautions and be careful. It is just a suggestion to test the theory, it's tough to diagnose something without being actually there. You could get boat on plane then open cap, and if possible try not to have a full tank, just in case, you don't want to spill gas in the water