• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going out of business 50% off starts 10-15-06

FISHER ED

Just saw the ad in the paper and talked to the owner. After 40 years in the business, Don at Rapids Tackle has decided to call it quits and retire. Rapids Tackle is located in Grand Rapids, MN on the West end of town on Highway 2. About 3 blocks past the big liquor store on the North side of the Hwy.

Everything in the store is marked down and he has two businesses for sale. The main business is Rapids Tackle itself. Mainly a summer and winter fishing bait and tackle store, they also carry reloading and black powder supplies.

The other business is the Fisherman's Blue Book. A yearly publication of large fish caught in the area and weighed in at sponsoring businesses and resorts in the Itasca County area. Some of you may even have your names listed.

Stop in and check out the deals and wish Don a happy retirement. Rapids Tackle is at 1707 NW 4th St, Grand Rapids, MN 218-326-9838

When this store is gone, the town will have really lost the best place for fishing information they had.

Thats a bummer. I have chewed the fat w/ Don many times and he is as nice a guy as you could hope to know. I hope he is doing this by choice and not necessity. Rapids area won't be the same w/out Rapids Tackle and Don.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped at Rapids Tackle this weekend while working stands to see what they had left. They are at 40% off right now and still have a very good selection. Lots and lots of ice fishing tackle left. I saw a decent selection of Hodgman Gortex raingear and hunting jackets left along with a selection of Hodgman rubber hunting boots. Man, at 40% off, someone could get an excellent pair of boots for around $25.00. If they had my size, a pair would have gone home with me. grin.gif

If the business doesn't sell, they will also have all their bait tanks and display fixtures for sale also. Lots of plastic bait tanks the size of washing machines and a few larger stock tanks. Check it out if you are in the market for these things.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if someone will pick up the Blue Book portion or not Wayne.

I stopped in there yesterday on my way back from ND and they have a ton of winter fishing tackle on the shelves at 40%. The summer tackle is getting picked over but there is still a good selection of Rapala's on the walls and lots of Berkley and Power Bait plastics to pick from. The standard markup in the tackle industry is 40% so that means you are gettting this stuff at dealer cost right now.

They still have some nice Gortex Hodgman Break-Up camo jackets and bibs left too. With this cold snap coming through they would be great for the bow hunters. All the Hodgman items are already 50% off!

Don was saying he was going to run the 50% off ad in the paper this weekend and that would be the final reduction. If it doesn't sell at 50% off, he'll just box it up and form a plan "B".

Get in there and fill your winter tackle box up for a steal and help a good guy out in the process.

I must say that i am upset that I had never been to Rapids Tackle before this weekend. Don seems like a great guy. Stopped in and spent 40 bucks and got a good "pile" of stuff. They have alot of terminal tackle and ice fishing tackle left. I picked up a tip-up for 4 bucks. Swing in and help this guy retire if you can. Plus it was worth the stop just to BS

My 2 favorite places to stop on the way to the cabin. Rapids tackle and the Silverspoon. We will be there Thursday morning for some hunting/fishing.