• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muzzleloader Scopes and Regular Fire Arms Season

Knute78

I don't want to debate the ethics and use of muzzleloaders with scopes on them. I just have a question regarding the use of muzzleloaders and scopes during the regular firearm (shotgun/rifle)season to settle a debate my friend and I are having. I will not mention which side of the debate I am on.

Can scopes be used on muzzleloaders during the regular fire arm (shotgun/rifle) season in MN?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Chad

Yes, Scopes are allowed during the regular firearms season on muzzleloaders. Open sights only during the designated muzzleloaders season.

JEV

3rd that. Scopes allowed during regular gun season, not allowed unless by special medical permit during the muzzleloader only season.

Well, I 4th that if it matters.

100% legal during regular firearms season.

Take it off for ML season though. Simple as that.

Now that it's solved, do we get to hear what side of the argument you were on wink.gif

What is the reasoning behind not putting scopes on muzzleloaders? I don't know why it would hurt the hunting any. I just think there would be less wounded deer if scopes were alowed.

I was on the side that agrees that they are perfectly legal with scopes during the regular gun season. I am not completely sure how I feel about the scope issue during the actual muzzleloader season. I'll just stay within the laws as they are now and be happy with it. If I am in the woods and hunting legally I am happy.

No, there will be more. Scopes are legal during the regular season because so called hunters are lobbing 12 gauge sluggs at 45 degree angles and shooting white horses with riders on them with the excuse that they thought they were shooting at a deer. It happened a couple of years ago! If you can not make a clean shot with open sights from 20-40 yrds. hunt the regular season. I do not think that extending the free for all into mzzl. season will do anything other than have a bunch of deer die slowly from infection from leg wounds tossed out from hunters taking shots that were well beyond the range of the weapon.

Accidents happen too often but the old fart shooting a horse didn't have anything to do with the scope/no scope question

I think the reason they don't allow scopes during the muzzle season is to keep it more of a primitive weapon. That is the whole point of the muzzle season, to offer a challenge to hunters where you only get one shot with open sites. I agree the kill rate would be better with a scope on muzzleloaders but just because you have the ability to kill out to 150 yards doesn't mean you should do it with open sites. Besides, I like the fact that you have to challenge yourself and only take the shots you know you can make to kill a deer.

Xedge, I could not agree with you more.

A person needs to know their own personal limits when hunting with whatever weapon they choose, scope or not. Clean safe kills should always be the #1 priority when deciding to take an animal.

During Regular Firearms season scopes are allowed on whatever legal weapon you decide to take with you to the field.

I don't think that incident with the guy shooting that horse had anything to do with whether their was a scope on that gun or not. I don't know for certain but I kind of remember that the story made it sound like he had a regular shotgun he was shooting slugs out of. I didn't think it was a scoped gun. I don't know for certain though.

Hunter's can wound animals by taking to long a shot with iron sights the same as they can by taking to long a shot with a scope. It's having the common sense not to shoot that makes the difference.

I like the idea of the new headlamps that deer can't see. I can think of 2 incidents I know of from last year that if they had been walking to their stand wearing one of those green headlamps they would have lived.

Ryan

I agree that the purpose of having a muzzleloader season is not for the purpose of taking more deer but to offer a more pristine hunting experience. After all, if you are merely just hunting with black powder and not interested in the atmosphere, you can use it during the regular firearms season.

Also, even though the orginal poster expressed the intention of this thread was not to go down this route, the original poster's questions were ansered and then the thread took a new turn. Whether a new thread is started or this one continues, I don't see any difference. In either case, I do think it could evolve into an interesting exchange of viewpoints.

Bob

Though I know this is yet another turn in this thread, I still feel compelled to comment. I have noticed several posts containing the word "weapon" describing a firearm. As a MN Firearm Safety Instructor this is one topic we try to instill in youngsters from day one. The word "weapon" is not to be used to describe a firearm in the instance of hunting and shooting sports. Maybe if this could become common language for adults children will learn early the difference in a weapon and a firearm. I see the difference from a law enforcement and military standpoint because firearms are used differently in their line of work. So...as ethical hunters working to protect the sports we love please try to use the terminology in its correct meaning! sorry just an opinion!

BobT

I didn't mid the thread taking this new turn. I just know I have read similar fourms about muzzleloading in years past that got very heated and I'll just say "boarderline" in conversation. I like debates about issues like this when they are done respectively and both sides of an argument can be heard without attacking peoples individual selves. I prefer to hear a debates about the issues not, the what ifs, and the I know a guy who said that he saw, etc... I like straight facts and opinions.

I agree that the muzzleloader season should be a more "pristine GUN hunting experienc", and if that means I cannot use a scope during muzzleloader season I am fine with that. There are so many seasons and options out there and that is why I originally asked the question if scopes were legal on muzzleloader during the regular firearms season. They are, and now I know I have that option if I choose to use it.

Anyways, gun season is too far off at the moment, I am just going to keep practicing with my bow, and cannot wait to get into the woods and enjoy the quiet solitude of mother nature bow in hand.

I like your response and agree. To me it is as simple as not bringing a knife to a gunfight. Both are weapons, so is a sharpened end of a tooth brush. There has to be a line drawn. If I can't make a fatal shot without any sights at all at 20-30yrs I will watch canned hunts on tv. If you can not do it anymore don't.

At the onset, separation of these two terms seems a little...well...petty but after giving it more thought I can see your point and agree it is a good one. One way this is important is that the anti-gun proponents like to use this term when describing firearms and for good reason. It instills the idea in others that a firearm is always a weapon but in reality this is by far the least used purpose of a firearm.

Good point!

Bob

Thanks Bob, I agree..before I ever bacame a FAS instructor, I would have felt very similar to most hunters in the sense that calling a firearm a weapon made no difference to me, but after time and thought you see the point. Most of the anti's use this term and just giggle every time we as sportsmen use the term, it only fuels there cause. I guess it's just a little thing many individuals can do to protect our right to own firearms in America.