• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishinpapa

Guides

fishinpapa

Help!! We need a guide. BUT...here is my question. For those of you who have used a guide, has it been beneficial down the road? What I mean is I don't want to catch fish for the one day, but learn about were they move and different techniques that working during the summer and fall months. Looking a getting one in September for dad/son birthday gift.

Thanks

Chris Haley

A good guide will explain everything as you are doing it. At least I do. In order for you to be effective, even in my boat. You need to understand what you are doing and why we are doing it.

Commanche Jim

After 15 years of fishing for anything (northerns, walleye, tried for muskies), we decided to take a guide on Cass for the 1st time in 1997 for muskies. Before 1997, our groups had caught 1 muskie. 32" or so. Since then, we have 7 fish over 50". We go for one week a year.

So yes, I think it's well worth it.

Give Brian Jones a call. We fished together 2 weeks ago, and I caught 2 legal muskies in 15 minutes.

Walleye35

I would second this notion, I fished the two previous years with Brian Jones and he definitely showed us how and where to catch fish. We were not able to hook up with him this year due to family conflicts and our numbers of keeper fish were decidedly smaller. I would highly recommend using a guide and honestly the only guide I have used on Cass is Brian. He is a great guy and very good with kids. My 8 & 10 yr olds had the greatest time fishing with Brian, they still talk about it all the time. Just wanted to chime in.

Windy City Walleye Hunter

Papa,

I have used Brian since he first started his business and he has taken out nearly two dozen of my relatives, from experienced fishermen to beginners and everybody has enjoyed his company, learned from his experience and caught fish as well. You can't get better than that. I think a day out with Brian would make a great present and not too expensive either! I have fished with two other guides on Cass, both who have a bigger reputation than Brian since they have been guiding longer than he has and I would not even consider booking them again. They give you short trips, don't like to share many of their "secrets" with you and never take you to their "honey holes". Give Brian a shot and then come back on the Cass Lake thread and let us know what you think. Windy

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Cliff Wagenbach
      Thank for the update and photo Dave and Diane! Cliff
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I was out on Vermilion fishing today again. Big bay still has about the same amount of ice but the ice is a lot softer now! Small patches of 4" to 6" deep slush pockets on it. Pike bay seemed solid when we went out but when we returned almost the entire bay had about 6" of very soft slushy ice on top! That will be my last trip out this winter. Talked to one Native that I saw checking a  net that he had  out under the ice in Pike Bay. He had caught around 15 walleyes and a pike today and 8 or so walleyes yesterday. Tough way to catch fish! Cliff
    • dgdg
        Well the Pike River Dam is finally running at full throttle.  For those of you who aren't up here to see it for yourself, you can see it here: https://www.everettbaylodge.com/lake-vermilion-ice-out-2018-the-dam-is-running/
    • Horseshoe_Don
      measured ice this morning.   It has not changed in the last 48 hours.    Just the shorelines have melted.   The quality of ice has gone down though.   Still Driving my wheeler on shoe.    Still 20-28 inches out there away from current.    The bay by winter access is the thickest at 30 inches.   Don
    • Tom Sawyer
      Thanks for your efforts!!! Let me know if you need any free city garbage bags; I'm involved with the City of St. Cloud Green Team. You can place them at the Munsinger Garden greenhouse, or any trail access points for easy Park Dept. pickup.
    • JeremyCampbell
      Going to get the kids out on the river today with gloves and garbage bags for Earth day.Plenty of garbage around the local community spots that can be removed.Im sure there will be more but it's something to do and it will look a little prettier out there.
    • Borch
      Wow!  Didn't realize it was that bad up there.  That's going take a long time to get turned around.
    • kelly-p
      To give you a idea of what it is like here this is how my dock has sat since last August. The river is at lake level here.  Almost no Spring flow from melting snow. Just a trickle here and there. I've burnt any grass off for 200 feet around my house, farm buildings and farm equipment so there is a little protection in case a big fire gets going. The grass has been burnt off between the highway and the airport to give Waskish a little protection in case a fire gets going south of town. Westwind cleaned their channel last fall so they should be OK for boats. Total acreage of URL and LRL is 272,000 acres so it would ONLY take 177,261,312, 000 gallons of water to raise the lake level 2 feet.
    • Horseshoe_Don
      you can get to horseshoe by boat but not far enough to get any fish yet.   This may change in the next few days.   I plan on ice fishing on shoe today.   Should be able to land a nice amount of slabs.   Don
    • pikeandchester
      Drove by Elysian on my way home this afternoon. Shoreline didn’t appear to be pulling away, view from the highway for what it’s worth.