• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Been trying my hand at cats lately, not a lot of luck. Dam area at bass camp is hit or miss, Root river not much luck either. I grew up in Southern states cats are seem a bit mroe plentiful there are bigger on the average. Guess I got spoiled! lol Been a couple yrs since I hit em hard around here and the ususal holes dont seem to be producing much this summer. Anyone want to get together and try some? I catch n release and dont "steal" fishin holes

Hey ridge! Glad you found us and welcome!

The cattin close to home is mainly channels. The Zumbro does have a population of them, but not as many as the waters down south.

Murphy and I used to catch one or two in the evenings. Once the bats started flying we switched fromm smallies to cats. Cut sucker or mooneye works so does the popular chicken livers.

We never got into any hogs, but they were ok in size.

Mr. Ridge i would like to say welcome to you as well. You have to work a tad for cats but they are out there. I would say spend a little time listening in the cat forum as these whiskers have a pretty big following. I would say your best bet is Redwing. I have fished redwing 5 times in my life and the results have been amazing with several fish over 40lbs. We use live bait with about 5 oz of sinker on the bottom for huge flatties. here is a pic of the one we got last week. And the spot is not a secret so there is nothing for you to steal. The gal caught the fish and it went 52 inches and the guy with the hair is really the angler that put us on these fish looks can be decieving. ike 219096.jpg

Now thats a cat! We used to catch em like that out of the Ohio River and near Salt Fork area in Ohio near West Virginia..I have been fishin cats for 20 yrs so I am not a rookie at it. Just recently started lookin hard for big cats. What kind of hook are you talking about? Hmm Redwing..might have to get down there and look around some.

the hooks we have been using are about the biggest ones we can find in town. We have used Gami Extra wide gap oversized worm hooks and 4/0 circle hooks but i think about a 6/0 octopus circle hook would be the ideal but i can only find those on the internet and not in the store. Good luck i hope you get down there the big boys are in there now. ike

Yep, the larger hooks are hard to find up here..Lost my last one the other night on a snag..isn't the first one I lost there either!lol If you want to get together and go to Redwing I'll drive and foot the gas bill if your interested. I need to find a place to catch a few bullies as bait. DNR frowns on bluegill use smile.gif

I'm going to try my hand at flatties this weekend and we'll be using 10/0 Gamu octopus hooks that I ordered from Jeff Beckwith at Scenic Tackle – (218) 751-9669

Tyler - i have never tried scenic thank for that. i have always used stamina or Jann net craft.

Ridge - i may be doing a trip early next week. It will probably be at night as to that is usually when we have our best luck. you can e-mail me at [email protected] and we can work out the details. ike