• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New impeller, still no stream

jquittum

Question

I've got a 7.5 HP Merc. Not sure of year,Mid 80's I think. Serial #7208663 for what its worth.

After sitting for 6 years or so, it fired right up, but no water from pee hole. I replaced the impeller, but still no stream. I can push high pressure water through the flush hole and get some to exit the pee hole.

Is there a thermostat on these things that may be stuck?

This is my last resort before taking it in.

Thanks for any info

Jeff

8 answers to this question

Jeff,

Not sure if this helps much, but my mid 90's 9.9 has a thermostat on it and it doesn't pee until it starts to heat up a bit.

Thanks for the reply Paul. How long does it take to start pumping? I ran it for 2-3 minutes and still nothing. I'm a bit nervous to run it too long.

Depending on the water temp and the load.....3-4 minutes.

Is it installed properly? If it's put on backwards it will not turn correctly...also it has a little key that needs to be installed along with it.

I know these are stupid questions, but had to ask.

Yep, it's in right and the little key is in too. I guess I'll try it again tommorow and let it go a little longer.

Thanks again

Questions... Could the pee hole be clogged? Is the pee hole the smallest hole in the cooling system? I don't know.

But, my Johnson was not 'peeing' like it should, so I took the pee hole apart and found a small pebble where the water comes out plugging the output. On mine it just unscrews from the cowling.

(I hope that makes sense....my post sounds like I should see a urologist)!

There should be a small hose running from the block to the cowl for the pee hole. Disconnect that and see if water sprays out of that. I had the end of mine plug with sediment once and I had just replace my impeller too, kinda of an "AH SHOOT" feeling until I found the plugged hole.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Turns out, when I pulled the lower unit, the tube up to the powerhead came with. When I put things back up, the tube did'nt go back in the hole.

Things are fine now.

Quote:

Questions... Could the pee hole be clogged? Is the pee hole the smallest hole in the cooling system? I don't know.

But, my Johnson was not 'peeing' like it should, so I took the pee hole apart and found a small pebble where the water comes out plugging the output. On mine it just unscrews from ..

(

Man, I just cannot stop laughing at this...sorry for this reply but if you read your reply with a little humor it does not look good....talking about pee, holes, and Johnsons...grin.gif

..then you say yours "unscrews".... laugh.gif

Anyway I am glad you found the problem, the 3 things are a little tough to line up sometimes (water tube, driveshaft, and shift rod). laugh.gif