• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am heading up to Winnie on Saturday and was looking for any reports people can give me. laugh.gif

I fished this past weekend in front of High Banks Resort in 6-8 feet of water drifting with spinners and crawlers during the day and pulled shad raps in the early evening and did pretty good. We caught several walleyes most too big to keep but that is a good problem if you ask me! We had most luck with hammered gold spinners and silver/blue shad raps.

Quote:

I am heading up to Winnie on Saturday and was looking for any reports people can give me.
laugh.gif

Most of my fishing experience on Winnie is in the Month of August...

IMHO, your best bet to get some eyes is to find a weedline that is as lonely as possible, and troll it with live bait gear (Mepps Spinflex are my confidence lure) from about 2 hours before sunset to an hour after sunset... Later than that, and the lake turns off... Earlier than that and I have NEVER gotten them to bite.

Seems like this time of year on Winnie the eyes are more busy eating the YoY forage base during the day, and I can't catch their attention...

So the day portion is best spent either Musky/pike fishing or hunting up some perch.

That's just my two cents.

Hey Dances, you and i have too talk, the times you are catching them are the exact times i cant catch them. I catch them all day and then nothing in the evenings!

Quote:

Hey Dances, you and i have too talk, the times you are catching them are the exact times i cant catch them. I catch them all day and then nothing in the evenings!

See I couldn't pick up anything on the humps, or really anywhere deep during this time of year...

But as night approaches, anything that can move to a weedline does move to a weedline... The trick appears to be a matter of putting yourself in the right area.

I've almost completely given up non-primetime fishing for walleye, as it's more of an exercise in frustration... Spending 8 hours Bobbing around in 3'ers hoping to get lucky and have pod move into the area... Come home and pee blood for a week, is becoming less and less my cup of tea as I get older...

Versus just trolling a weedline at the right time... Which admittedly, you need to get on the right weedline... Otherwise it's somewhat hit or miss...

But I found one... (That I'm not going to give away unless you're a blood relative wink.gif ) Where a minor weedy bay comes out and gives way to a rocky bottom, and where that bay meets the minor point that kisses the rest of the main lake...

ABSOLUTE GOLD for a little live bait trolling at primetime.

But I know there's more places out there like my little honey spot, that you just have to find...

Still if you can find the right weedline, you're still going to hit or miss.

If you're looking for a rap that I'd reccomend... It's a #7 or #9 Husky Jerk... Glass Rattling rap... Shallow runner... It's meant to be styled like a trout fry, but for MN waters it looks alot like a blue colored pike fry...

That's my top confidence rap for that situation, as it tends to mimic the pike fry coming out of the cover, which calls the big boys to come and eat them.

Still the more I walleye fish the more I keep finding them buggers in the weeds...

They're just more time sensative.

Also another key to timing... The Weed edge Prime time will start earlier on periods of a new moon... Because the darkness of the new moon, slows down the night bite...

Versus a Full moon, where you really need to find a time when the FM is rising just near-to sunset, in order to have the night bite expand into the darker hours... ***Cough*** {Such as the weekend of September 8th-10th} ***Cough***

I think i may know where you are talking about. If its not, the area im fishing is very similiar. I fish midday in an area like this but im not on the weedline, im out off the weedline a ways pulling cranks. Putting 2 and 2 together i think these fish are out from the weedline during the day when im catching them and when i quit catching them i think i need too move right up on the weedline and rock. The general area im fishing is surely not a secret but most people just dont seem too get it out there.

Quote:

I think i may know where you are talking about. If its not, the area im fishing is very similiar. I fish midday in an area like this but im not on the weedline, im out off the weedline a ways pulling cranks. Putting 2 and 2 together i think these fish are out from the weedline during the day when im catching them and when i quit catching them i think i need too move right up on the weedline and rock. The general area im fishing is surely not a secret but most people just dont seem too get it out there.

^^^^^

Yep... That seems to be the pattern... I just can't catch them when they're out during the day...