• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roller or Bunk trailer?

big musk411

Question

Due to some extenuating circumstances at the boat ramp this weekend, I have found myself in the market for a new boat trailer. I have a 16.5 ft Alumacraft Lunker V16. My original trailer was a shorelander with rollers. I had never had any problems and thought it was a good trailer[untill this weekend crazy.gif]. My question is what would be the benifit of a bunk trailer as opposed to roller? Ease of trailering? Price?

Here is what happend.

I went to launch my boat at the ramp near my cabin on upper whitefish lake. I have launched the boat ther 50+ times. I put the boat in and it slides off the trailer. I go to pull it out and skid the tires, it won't move. I get out and look and can't see anything as its about 5-6ft deep and very weedey. So I figure back it in a little furthur and then pull it out. Well, I go it out. The right tire must have been caught off the side of the ramp. I bent the axel and the frame of the trailer. I had it backed fairly straight in, a bit to the left side even. I don't understand how it could have gotten caught. Not sure if it is the low water or elevated hitch on my new tow vehicle[Nissan Titan]?

Also any one have any recommendations as far as dealers go?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Might be better to just look at getting a new axle if it is just bent rather than a complete new trailer if it is just a bent axle.

I have never owned a bunk trailer but I think your choice would depend greatly on how you use it. Do you frequent boat launches that are consistently shallow? If so, a bunk trailer could be a problem as you do need to submerge the bunks. I think in other posts there have been good arguments made for both and if memory serves me, power-loaders tend to prefer bunks. For example, if you powerload at the ramp I was on last night, you would struggle with rollers because the boat would tend to roll back off unless you kept the motor engaged long enough to hook up the front. I saw a guy experiencing this problem. It was a steep launch. I actually had trouble launghing because I couldn't release the winch line without holding the boat on the trailer. Bunks would have been much better in this situation.

It seems both have their merits.

Bob