• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

PROP NUMBERS TO SIZE

eelpout#1

Question

I have a 2004 Lund Explorer with a tiller 90 Yamaha on it. The prop that came with the boat has been getting chewed up by the low water levels this summer. I decided to look for a new one and looked for the size numbers on the prop. I came up with this number which I assume is a parts number. 854360A4P16MERCURY The place where I bought the boat (which will remain nameless) has excelled in NO service whatsoever, so I expected and got no help from them. Does anyone have any idea what size prop this is, or should be, or able to translate the mercury parts number.

Thanks a lot in advance.

tc

5 answers to this question

Take the prop off the information you need is stamped on the inside of the hub.......

Thanks for the info, but what size props are everyone else running?

The one you mentioned is a 16pitch prop, not sure of diameter since part number doesn't show up.

I have a 16-ft Sylvan with a 90Hp Merc and usually run a 19 pitch prop.

That would probably be too big for your engine because the 90 Merc runs a lower ratio in the gearcase than the Yamaha. On your engine, a 16 or 17 pitch probably runs about the same as a 19 pitch on mine - 40 MPH, give or take a couple depending on conditions.

Quote:

what size props are everyone else running?

Prop Size and Pitch are 100% percent dependent on boat, weight, motor HP, hull type, etc. Just because one prop works well for someone on one boat does not mean it is going to perform similarily on another.

If you're looking to tweak your setup a little bit you'll need to provide what RPM's you are turning at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) when trimmed out and running at optimum conditions. Then it will be a little easier to give a reccomendation.

For more information on props check out the Prop Basics thread in the open water forum.

marine_man