• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any other cat guys having any luck on pool 2 lately? It sounds like it's slow every where. We are getting a run or two a night and a lot are channels on cut bait and bullheads. Currently there is no flow south of 494. The slightest south breeze pushes the boat upstream. Well hopefully once the water starts to cool, the flats will heat up. My biggest fish come right around early goose season each year.

The bite on Pool 3 for flatheads was non existant last night. Two guys and not a single run all night. I'm thinking there is too much shad and other baitfish available right now so the fish are really spread out. Once things cool down they will start bunching up in packs which will improve the bite. Do you usually get some nice flats in pool 2?

Honestly, I think the fishing was better in my stretch of pool 2, 3-5 years ago. It's been a while since I've pulled a 30 lb. fish. We get action but a lot in the 5-15lb range. I think we need more current, so more rain is needed. With no current, baitfish can be anywhere and are not concentrated. That's my theory for the slow stretch of fishing. I think it will only improve through September.

Pool 2 below the 494 bridge has been slow for two weeks now. We did catch channel cats in the main channel on cut bait. The flats have been real slow. The top of pool 3 (Hastings-Prescott area)has also been real slow. smile.gif

Quote:

Do you usually get some nice flats in pool 2?

Pool 2 is full of big flatheads. Last year was our best year ever and it filled up a photo album very well. I had several nights last year where I personaly caught 3 fish over 30# in an evening.. thats without what the rest of the *crew* caught that evening. It wasnt uncommon to catch 5-10 flatheads an evening with fish of all sizes. We had three 10/0 Gamakatsu hooks straitened out last year on fish... I guarantee those werent small fish. Theres lots of big flatheads on pool 2. The trophy fish potential starts ABOVE the Ford dam(pool 1).

This year has been tough. We had a good week in early June and its been downhill from there. I dont have too much of a problem catching small flats, but the big fish are roaming somewhere and dont want to be found. The water is just too low right now for consistent fishing in the normal holes. As soon as the sun sets, baitfish crash the surface as far as the eye can see in every direction, the key structures that usually hold the fish when there is current are vacant.

The only spots I know of now that are consistently holding flatheads are various inlets that have constant flow... Creeks, culverts, discharges, etc.

I mostly fish pool 2 because its practically across the street.(and proven for me) I have yet to pull anything over 30lbs in yet this year! last year at this time I had regular 3-5 fish nights with all over 30lbs, and a few running 40-50+. Not sure what the dealio is, but im crossing my fingers for the fall bite.

I helped "That Guy" land a "little" 30lb earlier this year and have heard of a number of 40+ pounders as well being caught back in June on P2.

I dunno, maybe they all swam up into the Minnesota. grin.gif There's a bunch of us that have landed 50lb caliber fish out of the Minnesota this year. Check out the Catfish Forum under my "Big Cat Safari 2006" topic.

I think the low water levels and really little current flow have the fish doing things they don't "normally" do.

I think the flatheads are going to start showing themselves pretty soon here when the shad stop running. They will be feeding heavily as the water temp starts to slowly drop.

Question??? Pool 2? I usually park at the launch next to the compost pile and then walk down stream to do shore fishing near a culvert. Is this in the pool 2 area? Had one run thurs nite, but got too excited and forgot to tighten the drag before setting the hook. Son-in-law had my cat rig.

I found a huge school of shad the other day. My guess is the fish are there, but my guess is it's going to take a little luck to get them to bite my offering with so much baitfish. I am going to try hitting the edge of the school (if I can figure that out) and offer a bullhead. I am also thinking with the water lever being down and the abundance of baitfish that most of them have found this bountiful supply of food. It's just a matter of a little luck with a patience.

Another slow night on pool 2 on Saturday. No runs. Some current after the Thursday storms and water temp dropped to 74 degrees from 80 degrees. Used bullheads and fished from 38-7' of water. Fished holes, wood and wing dams. Talked to one other group pulling out at 1:30am when we did and they had no runs all night on sucker minnows. Anybody have better luck on pool 2 over the weekend?

The shot of rain & water to the Minnesota turned the flatheads on this weekend. The BP Cat League had a good number of flatheads caught. I got a little 15 pounder, LFC got a 27 pounder, Papa Grump had a low 30s fish, and Dennis Steele landed a 45lb flat. Pretty awesome night all around.

I know dtro & LFC had a good night last night on the lower Minnesota with a couple 42-43", 30lb class flatheads.

Been pretty good channel cat action all over too.

Tyler-

That was actually Pool 1. But I can understand, you were driving around with an Otter ice shack. Couple months to go man. wink.gif I know you came north but we're not THAT much further north. shocked.gif

Now that's funny. Sorry Pool 1. I'm still learning my pools in fact right after I posted that, I found out I was in pool 1, but then forgot to change it. Anyways...

Twas an otter sled Hanson. The shack/canvas portion is in my garage. I use that sled to haul stuff since the back seat of my jeep is pretty small. I'll have the canvas on there soon. I'll be ready for the ice. I'll be sharpening my ice bar soon.

I caught my biggest channel yet yesterday. I was trolling cranks for eyes and my "snag" was a 12-15lber. My 3 year old requested that I not bring it into the boat-so no scale or measurements, but I am sure it was well over 10lbs.

I have caught bigger flats on cranks, but this was my biggest channel. Fun fight!