• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fuel gauge problem with trouble shooting allready done.

BandB

Question

okay I have a 2003 tracker and the fuel gauge stoped working on the last trip out. Here is the trouble shooting I have done.

1: touched the pink and black together at the fuel tank and nothing happend.

2: touched the pink nad black at the gauge and go full diflection.

3: ohmed from the pink at the gauge to the tank and its all good.

4: ohmed from the black at gauge to the tank and it shows an open

5: ohmed from the black wire at the gauge to the tank with the key on and it's good.

So what do you think it could be I couyld rilly use a wire schematic of the fuel indicating system then I would be able to figure out the black wire only showing good with the key on.

3 answers to this question

You missed troubleshooting 1 thing.

Take sending unit out of tank and check pink wire while raising float, it should change reading, that means sending unit is good.

Beside this you did great, I wish everybody can describe a problem and give all the preliminary troubleshooting results (but sometimes is not possible)

The pink is your neg at gauge, the black wire is just for illumination (combined with blue + wire).

If the test to sending unint float is good, then you have a bad gauge.

Also check if purple at gauge has power + when you turn key on.

okay I was hoping I would not need to pull the sending unit because I think the floor needs to come up to do that. I am faily sure the gauge has good power because when I turn on the key the gauge actualy will go down below where it is with the key off like its geting the power. Could you please let me know what the colors mean. I think I am 75% on what they are. Also dose the black wire run straight to the gauge or dose it gound and then take a ground from a nother point for the gauge. Because I am still confused as to why the ground at the gauge only complets to the sending unit with the key on.

The ground for the gauge (black) is just for lighting, nothing else.

It's the pink wire from sending unit that gives "gradually" more or less - to activate the needle, + is given by purple wire when you turn key on.

Black to tank and black to gauge might be connected to same ground block or not, either way they are all connected to battery.

Actually we are making a mistake calling it "ground" it's just Negative, since boats cannot be grounded due to electrolisys (spelling ?).

Anyway if you can touch the wires on tank then you should be able to get sending unit out since that's whats connected.

Ok, basic diagram is:

Gauge:

Purple + under key

Pink - fron sending unit

Blue + from light switch

Black - from lighting from battery

Tank:

Black - from battery

Pink - to gauge.