• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waders

fishnhuntnboy

What type of waders does everyone like or would recomend? I am looking at buying some from gandermountain. It is there guideseries. I think it was like $90. It was 3.5 neopreme.

Just wanted to know what everyone else uses or comments.

i have guideseries waders and i really like them. . .they werent too expensive and i havent had any problems with leaks or tears and i have had them for two rough years. . i have the 3.5mm waders and i think that they work good. . they are warm enough through out most of the year. . somedays when its 20 degrees out, yeah you have to wear some long underwear but i think the 5mm are too bulky and can get too hot. . .

If you get one pair of waders I would get some with about 800 grams of thinsulate, unless you plan to do a lot of walking, then you'd better go with less. 800 should get you through the end of the season without getting cold feet as long as you have good socks. The 5mm will hold up better than the 3mm and I don't find them bulky. I bought a cheaper pair from Cabela's with only 200 grams of thinsulate and 5mm neoprene and three years later bought their warmest pair with 1600 grams so I don't freeze my feet in late November. If I could go back I'd buy the 800's and be set. I don't know about the Guide Series, but the Cabela's waders have been good for me.

I've got an older pair of Cabela's canvas/rubber style with the insulated boot. I got them at the LaCrosse factory outlet store in LaCrosse Wis.(LaCrosse makes some of Cabelas boots) The boot has the same insul thier icemans have. I've had them for at least 15yrs and very pleased with thier performence, a bit bulky for walking in all day . Every year LaCrosse boot co. has tent sale on over stock and seconds, the sale is ussally starts the weekend before duck opener. You can get some pretty good deals on just about any type of boot.

Depending on where you hunt, certain waders will be much better than others. I have a 800 gram pr. of neoprene Cabela's brand waders that are excellent for sitting in all day and are warm enough for all the hunting I do in northern MN. There are lots of good brands to choose from, just get the ones that will suit your most common hunting needs. Good luck!

Stay away from the Guide Series rubber or canvas waders. Let's just say that they need a new design to improve "waterproofing". Last year I went through two pairs in three weeks.

When its somewhat warm out its tough to beat Cabelas "Dry-plus" waders, I think thats what they're called. The material is similiar to wind pants, its unreal. You can walk forever in those things without getting hot.

I have the 5mm Gander Guide Series with I think 800 thinsulate boots. Love them. hunted at a pond last year where the water was so high we ended up kneeling in the edge of the weeds in about a foot of water on a cold morning for a few hours, didnt feel the cold at all. Mine have a slow leak in the crotch, but I use them a lot for fishin and huntin. The 5mm is nice when you have to walk out and bust up some ice, I dont worry about tearing them.

well this is my first year of duck hunting and i dont want to spend alot of money on wasders especially if i dont like to duck hunt. i am sure that i will like to hunt duck and i will be able to use the waders more than just that. right now at gander the waders i was looking at are like 89.99 and i believe they have 3.5mm dont know how much thinsulate they have.

I also have Guide Series waders. I don't remember how thick they are, but mine also sprung a small leak in the crotch. Nothing worse then cold swamp water on your boys! They lasted about 2 years. But for the cold I just buy those shaker hand warmer deals and put them on my toes. That usually solves the problem. Or I just go for a walk and jump a few ponds.

So these waders would be a good buy for a first timer? What is your opinion?

In my few years duck hunting I've learned to spend the extra money and get the good stuff. Most of the time the good stuff will last longer. But with those waders, not bad for the first timer. It fits the budget and gets the job done. The leak problem was very minor, infact I still use them.

Diddo. If there's one statement for buying hunting clothing of any kind it's "you get what you pay for."

When you buy your waders, buy a wader hanger right away, hang the waders up right away when they're not in use, they'll last longer, whether they are the cheap or expensive waders. If you leave them in a heap in the garage, plan on buying new waders frequently.

If you're new to duck hunting, go ahead and buy the cheapys, they should last a year or two, then if you still like duck hunting, get a good pair. I had a pair of Hodgemans that lasted me 15 years.

Cool, thanks for the help cause i didnt want to go spend any money if it wasnt worth it.