• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am coming from southeast MN and am going to be fishing Jefferson for the first time ever. Where is the main access located? Can I get to all parts of Jefferson and German via boat?

What species of fish can I expect to catch?

Thanks!

water levels are probably too low to access german from jefferson. but you should be able to access middle jeff from east jeff. but the water levels were only about 2-2.5 feet 3 weeks ago.

You can access Jefferson between German and Jefferson at the public access. It's a good access and you won't have problems. Just near the access is a tunnel under the road but unless you have a canoe you won't be going through. Panfish have been very good as of late on the South shore of East Jefferson. Sunfish in particular have been really hitting. No bait required. just flip out a small plastic and you'll get then nearly every cast. 5-10 FOW. Have to weed through them but a one person limit can be had in an hour or less. Good luck.

I was down on Jefferson Saturday night. Water is really green but the fish were hittin good. On the south shore west of the access, hit the second big group of docks, there is a big one with a grey canopy. Took 4 fish from under that one alone. Skippin toads as far back under docks and pontoon as you can possibly get them. Took 2 that were 20". Also fished the flat in the middle of the bat to the northwest of the access. Dropped a jig worm around the outside edge, took 3 quality fish in transition from 8-12 ft. Hey rippinlips, you following all this? Can't make it down there this weekend, daughters coming home for the weekend.

I heard there are alot of smallies in jefferson is that true and where do they hang out.

Not true. There are a few in the Cannon River chain lakes around here, but other than that, I don't know of any lakes in the immediate area that have smallies in them.

I was out there on sunday and only managed to pick up 6 bass all around 16" to 17" range just wondering if any body else has bing catching any bass out there or is just that slow. That was the first time I have ever fished jefferson.

Quote:

I was out there on sunday and only managed to pick up 6 bass all around 16" to 17" range just wondering if any body else has bing catching any bass out there or is just that slow. That was the first time I have ever fished jefferson.

I WAS OUT THERE AGAIN LAST NIGHT AND MAN THE FISH SEEMED TO NOT BE ANYWHERE I CAUGHT TO SMALL DINKS AND THAT WAS IT, IS THE BITE THAT SLOW OR ARE THERE NOT THAT MANY BASS IN THERE. I HEARD THAT IT FROZE OUT IS THAT PART OF THE PROBLEM.

West (a.k.a. little) Jefferson had a partial winterkill about 4 years ago, although there's still good fish in there, but I tend to fish East Jefferson more. There are definately good bass and numbers of them in Big Jefferson. I have fished the lake hard since 1999 and have got lots of fish over 4 out of it and three over six that I can think of off the top of my head, the biggest being 6lbs 14oz.This time of year can be tough to get numbers of bites but the big ones can still be had as it takes a 3.5-4.5 pound average to win most tournaments out there.

YEAH IT SEEMED LIKE ALL THE OTHER BASS BOATS WERE FISHING SHALLOW SAME AS ME, IS THERE ANY DEEPER WATER SPOTS YOU CAN STEER ME TOWARDS TO GET BIGGER FISH OR THIS TIME OF YEAR ARE THEY UP SHALLOW. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

I've gotten nice ones off the bank before, but haven't had any luck with it this year. I think as far as the fish they are real scattered right now with some deep, some on the flats, some shallow, and some ultra shallow.

I just talked to a guy who lives on Big Jefferson. Yes there are Smallmouth Bass in Big Jefferson.

I have never heard of a smallmouth being caught in Jeff, but anything is possible with a stray fish. People have been known to illegally transport and stock fish, too.

I fish Jeff 10-15 times per year, with several more trips to German. 2-3 contests per year x 15 years and I have never seen a smallie weighed in from the Jefferson chain. No one believes me when I tell them I found a dead muskie floating in Swede's bay, either. This was back in 2002.

Try the dock to the right of the landing. He said, he catches a few a year from his dock. "It's no big deal". He also said that blue and black is the color he finds most often hooked to his dock. I would go with yellow and white.

Katoguy,

I like to chase bass on occasion and have never fished East Jefferson at all. You mentioned Swedes Bay in your last post and I was just wondering if this area of the lake is where a lot of the guys chase bass around. Also, how about Middle Jeff. I always thought that these two sections of water were too shallow to hold many fish all year long. Am I wrong in thinking this? I've fished West Jeff and German for years with pretty good success but for some reason I've never put in on East Jeff. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Swede's has a decent population of bass in high water years.

Middle.... I'll tell you Monday. LOL (Contest Sunday)

Right now the water is extremely low in middle, but I am sure some bass reside there throughout the open water season. Being so shallow, the weather really affects them.

I think whoever told you there are smallies in Jefferson was on an acid trip.

A number of years ago,I spoke with someone at the DNR office in Waterville about smallies in the area & they said they experimented with a few lakes, most of which did not work out. At the time he had mentioned Tetonka, Fox & Roberds, but then was sort of vague about any others. A friend of mine & his dad ran into some on Roberds around that time, but I've never heard anyone getting any more there or anywhere else besides Tetonka. I suppose it is possible that a few may still around. It's hard to say what the DNR decides to try but not publicize.I wish they would try it in Francis, it might work out. L2f

we had our club tournament at jefferson today out of 26 boats 25 had a 5 fish limit

it took 22.lbs 11/100th oz. to win 21.lbs 93/100th of oz. to take 2nd place 20.lbs 80/100th oz. for 3rd place 20.lbs 19/100th oz. for 4th place with 19.lbs 71/100th 0z. just out of the money

there where 7 bass in the mid to upper 5lb range caught

7 bass in the 4 to upper 4lb range

largest bass caught 6.66 (the number of the beast) and oh yeah!!!! she was worthy of the title!!!

Wow! Those are some awesome fish. Sounds like it was a great tournament. Are weights like this common and expected on Jefferson or was today just an exceptional day? Congrats to those who finished on top.

More of an exception than the rule, but as you can see, this lake has nice largemouth. I thought we had a chance with over 20#, but was really impressed by the 3 teams that beat us. With weights like that they definitely earned it.

weights like that wow must of had a blast fishing. If you don't mind me asking were the fish shallow or deep that most guys were catching and what kind of lures did you guys use to catch your toads. wow those are big weights. Nice job guys.

We were shallow. Slop, docks, trees, & scattered weeds. I heard first place came off German fishing the pads with jigs.

The final tourney for the So Mn Bass Tour is 9/9 on Tetonka (switch from Shields due to shallow access). The TOC for the top ten is the following day on a lake to be drawn.

The Ultimate has their final tournament on 9/16 on Madison with their TOC for the top 10 the following day.

Well I should have been out there because washington sucked yesterday. We fished rockpiles, docks, points and slop and probably would have a 5 fish limit for 7 pounds. Never got a good bite fishing hard for 7 hours.

Do you expect big weights there to. Which is a better bass fishing lake tetonka or sakatah, never fished on either of them but tetonka looks deep and sakatah looks shallow.

Washington was indeed tough on Saturday. 1st place there was 12+ on 5 bass. Only 2 other teams cracked 10 pounds... keep poisoning those weeds in the spring...