• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for training collar

Walleye Guy

I added a second dog to the arsenal this year and I am now looking for a two dog training collar system. Some of the features I want included are the following:

-Two collars

-Two transmitters with the ability to use one transmitter with both collars

-1000+ yard range

-Pulse and continuous stimulation

-Five or more levels of stimulation

-No external antennaes for either the collar or the transmitters

-Advanced battery technology (hopefully Lithium Ion but NMhd is ok)

Can anyone recommend a make and model that they personally have experience with?

Thanks,

WG

Tritronics, Dogtra, and DT Systems all have collars that are at least close to your requirements. Most of the pro trainers I know of use one of these brands. Don't forget about waterproof collar and transmitter too.

I appreciate the information.

I have done some extensive research and I realize all the major manufacturers make collars with these features. I was hoping to hear from someone who has had a particularly good experience on a specific model in a two dog setting with the features I outlined above.

I have owned a Tritronics collar for seven years and frankly it has been ok at best. The reliability has been suspect and it has been back to the factory for repair twice. In both cases you couldn't turn the collar on and it wasn't a battery issue.

E-

I just ordered the Dogtra 1702NCP on Tuesday-- I checked out all the brands over the past couple months and played around with them and the 1700 really stood out as the best in my mind. It has the cool new lighted LED display with readout of the power setting(127 different power levels), it has a battery life indictator(red,yellow, and green lights), but the kicker was that it has two sets of buttons for the two collars. So instead of having to search out the toggle switch, they are right in front of you. There is a toggle, but only between nick and constant. It has the pager function which I loved and used 98% of the time on my Dogtra 1200 NCP. On top of all that, Rocky could have matching collars with his mom grin.gif Is he going to be ready for pheasant opener?

Bushwacker,

How is your young pup doing? Is he all ready for this fall? Mine is doing great. We are running both the certified and advanced APLA test in Iowa, and eagerly awaiting the fall.

Franky is definitely ready for this fall. He is chomping at the bit. I could not be happier with him, he goes 110% all of the time so my only challenge will be harnessing that energy in a goose blind. I should really run him in the APLA's too. He was at David's for a couple months and is doing really well since coming back. So far he points 100% of the time on planted birds and a couple wild hens we've ran into too, so I think he would do pretty well in the tests. When are the tests? I have never even been to one so I am thinking about just going down to watch one. Take care-

M,

Rocky should be ready for the opener. He is a bundle of energy and is pointing birds. Following Rebel around should be as good of a teaching mechanism as I can get. I am pumped for both bird hunting and bow hunting. I need to find a job wher I can take off from Septmeber until March! We need to plan to get together this fall.

E