• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Under Armor

John Mickish

Question

OK, now can someone tell me what this stuff is. I used to see it only in the catalogs but now it's everywhere from Gander to Sports Authority and many other companies have their own version of the stuff.

Will it keep me cool?

Will it keep me warm?

Will it keep the fish from smelling me?

Does it stop silver bullets?

13 answers to this question

I bought an Under Armor "cold gear" shirt before hunting season last fall and I've been very happy with mine. Comfortable, warm, wicks the sweat away from your body, it's really good stuff. If you end up getting something I would error on the side of a little larger than your normal size. They fit a little tighter than most shirts. Only downside is they are spendy, but in my mind worth it.

there is summer gear, fall/ spring, and winter. i use it all the time for sport, heck i even use their football cleats. not sure bout the next 1 but the last 1... HECK YES!!! grin.gif

they have loose gear also for you to wear loosly, which will work much better than using a larger size

mnfishinguy,

Under Armour is the latest (and most heavily promoted) line of technical, sports under clothing. It was started only four years ago by a graduate of the University of Maryland. Essentially it's a line of petroleum-based, hydrophobic, nylon fiber clothing that very effectively wicks moisture (sweat) away from your body where it can evaporate most easily. The hydrophobic nature of the material is very important, as moisture is forced to travel to the outside of the clothing where it's dispersed via evaporation, or absorbed by another clothing layer. Thus, if you're wearing this material by itself in hot weather, the evaporative function keeps you drier and cooler. If your wearing it as a base layer in cooler weather, if warms you by creating a body-temperature, dry, micro climate next to your skin.

The material is very silky and comfortable, and is sold either in a form fitting, body hugging line (you better have a great body for this stuff), or is sold in a looser fitting all around line.

Having said all this, it's basically the same stuff sold by Nike as "Dri Fit", Patagonia as "Capilene", The North Face as "Vaporwick", and sold 30 years ago as "Lifa" and "Damart". There are also lots of generic brands out there that are nearly identical.

Under Armour spends tens of millions on marketing, and they are all over the NFL and MLB. I own a few pieces of this stuff--and I am satisfied, but the generics do the same thing at a cheaper price. No, these fabrics do not mask scent (in fact, a drawback to many of them is that they vigorously retain body odors), nor do they make you invisible, but they're very effective as long underwear, and very comfortable as athletic/goofing-around wear.

Try some of these.

Under Armor works great. I have a set that I wear hunting/fishing. It is the standard compression fit. Anytime that it is chilly I wear it. NO COTTON!!! Cotton doesn't breathe so when it gets wet with sweat it holds that moisture next to your skin and that makes you cold.

I wore long johns, heavy cotton socks, and layered cotton shirts for many years and froze. 2 years ago I got the set and I couldn't be happier. Warm and comfortable in a tree stand or a boat. It is spendy but well worth it.

Do not put it in the dryer. Just let it air dry. If you put it in the dryer it gets a film on it and will not wick as well.

Thanks Chief, that was the answer I was looking for. I have a dri-fit golf shirt and it works great. I think I might ask Santa for some of it this winter.

I like their underware under my workout clothes (comfortable and good support). I have the Cabela's version of the stuff in a middle weight that I use for a base layer for fall/winter/spring persuits. It's nice being toasty warm steelhead fishing on the Bruel when the snow is flying.

Quote:

A) depends how bad you smell, I would say its a maybe

B) I would watch out for those silver bullets! Guess you will have to contiue sleeping during the day and hunting at night (silver bullets kill vampiers right?) LOL

I noticed no one really touched on your last two questions, thought I would chime in... tongue.giftongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

A) depends how bad you smell, I would say its a maybe

B) I would watch out for those silver bullets! Guess you will have to contiue sleeping during the day and hunting at night (silver bullets kill vampiers right?) LOL

I noticed no one really touched on your last two questions, thought I would chime in... tongue.giftongue.gif

Not real sure but I thought silver bullets were for werewolves. So those full moon trolling trips to mille lacs are especially stressful. I guess it keeps the guys in front of you in the Landing line moving!

If you like the under armor, but dont like how expensive it is check out the stuff by Duofold. their stuff is great and it is only like $10 for a t-shirt and $15 for a long sleeve

I bought a bunch of white athletic UA socks at TJ Maxx and I'm finding they're great in hot weather. Feet don't seem to perspire as much - I bet they'll be good in cold weather as well...

I use the Under armor under my bullet proof vest while at work. The vest is very hot and will soak a cotton shirt in an hour in the summer heat. I have used the under armor and it works wounders, but it is very expensive for the way it soaks in the body odor (yuck) crazy.gif. I found that the off brands work just as well. Not sure of the name but I purchased them at uniforms unlimited at a much lower price.

LovenLifeGuy

I've used Under Armor for a couple of years now. This stuff is great. We hunt pheasants almost everyday around the Alex. area and during late season I can wear the Armor, then a SOP pull-over and a Orange long sleeve canvas shirt then my hunting vest. Never cold or sweaty... I don't care how cold it is or how hard the wind is blowing, I stay comfortable and dry... unless the sloughs we hunt have bad ice... then I never seem to be able to stay dry below the belt line grin.gif