• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
nofishfisherman

St. Croix State Park Shore fishing?

nofishfisherman

Anyone ever stay at this campground or fishing in the area around it. I guess there is the St. Croix or the Kettle River available for fishing.

I am heading up there with the wife this weekend and would like to do some casting for walleye, smallies or pike in that order. In the end any action will be welcomed though.

Any tips or suggestions. I will be walking and possible with the wife so nothing overly aggressive in the way of hiking probably is better.

Thanks for any help.

ice_shack

That is one nice park! Yes, there is ample opportunity to fish from shore and you can also rent canoes there.

Smaillie fishing is great but I personally have never fished for anything else there so I’m not sure on the pike and eyes.

nofishfisherman

Thanks for the quick reply. We have never been there so we have no idea what we were getting we just like to try new places from time to time.

Do you fish in the Kettle river or St. Croix for the smallies?

I think fishing from shore and also maybe from a canoe is the plan, I think we will rent a canoe for a paddle at least even if we don't fish from it.

ice_shack

I have fished the Kettle once and did catch fish so I know they are there. Mostly I fish the Croix with a fly rod using crawfish and Dahlburg divers. Those smallies on a fly rod are a blast.

nofishfisherman

my plan is to throw everything i have at them until I figure out what they want. Cranks (shallow and deep), Beetle spins, plasitc shad, twister tails, maybe a spoon or two if all else fails. I might need to invest in more plastics.

Any tips for plastics, I don't use it very much at all.

matthothand

Throw poppers or small white buzzbaits. I have done well there woth those baits this time of year...and it's crazy when they hit topwater baits. I've caught a lot of fish too on inline spinners (like trout spinners) and jig tipped with crawler.

hogsucker

A small gold floating rapala was the ticket for Smallies last time I fished there. Don't overlook crawlers fished on the bottom. Smallies and Walleyes will surely bite, and you give yourself a shot at one of the Croix's Lake Sturgeon or giant River Redhorse. ~hogsucker

nofishfisherman

Thanks for all the info guys. I am really looking forward to giving it a shot. Now I have another reason to head to Gander Mountain and grab a few new lures. I probably already have enought stuff that will work but thats not what I will be telling my wife when she asks whats in the bag.

Is there a place close to the park that sells crawlers? If not I will probably be sticking to artifical for simplicity.

Andrew Erickson

that campsite is awesome!When we stayed there we caught alot of smallies and pike AND i had 2 low 40 inch muskies fallow my x-rap in at the same time.It was awesome then i ran outta room and couldnt figure-8 and they spooked and got me all wet.lol

nofishfisherman

You guys have me itching to get up there now. Originally I thought I would just go throw a few lures for awhile but this might turn into a little longer effort if the fishing is as good as it sounds.

nofishfisherman

Well I fished for a few hours but had no luck. I tried to the left of the canoe landing in a deeper hole but had no luck. I also went upstream a ways and fished in shallower water with some weeds, also no luck.

Any more tips. I want to get back up there this weekend with a buddy and would like to be better prepared.

I will be using a canoe next time beucase I felt that walking the river was limiting my options.

I did see a father and son bring in a stringer of 4 large smallies, I would guess the biggest at about 20 inches and the smallest around 17. So I know the fish are there. They use live bait and a bobber and I casted rapalas, buzzbiats, cranks baits, Mr Twisters, and probably a few others.

What depth should I be targeting, deep holes, or all shallow water as well? And structre in particular?

Any more tips would be great. Thanks.

Also is there any where else up there that rents canoes except for in the park? It was $30 for 2 hours last weekend. But it did include a pick up and ride back to the landing.