• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Similar ? about Ford V10's

Ryan_V

Question

You guys answered my ? on the 7.3 vs 6.0 diesel, now how about the v10, vs a diesel, either the 7.3 or 6. I found a low mileage super duty with the v10. those of you who have experience or know, how does the V10 compare to a diesel, performance wise with power and pulling, and economy wise(mpg). Still want to lean twards the diesel, but the deal on the V10 is pretty good. thanks in advance for all your help, I'm in unfamiliar territory here!!!

11 answers to this question

Don't do it, a V10 will have horrible mileage empty and way too scary when towing. This is for both V10s (Dodge & Ford) and the 8l V8 GM

Valv is correct, the good deal on it, is because they are next to impossible to sell because of the MPG's. We only had one, and though it did an admirable job pulling, the MPG's when strapped to a trailer were in the 8-10 range.... that was to much to stomach when gas was a buck a gallon cheaper let alone now.

Good Luck!

Ken

I've been towing with a V10 for six years with no problems at all. I get 13 mpg on the interstate empty and 8 to 8 1/2 pulling a 32 foot fifth wheel with an 1800 Fisherman behind it. I don't know what it would get pulling just the 5er because I always have the boat behind it. My brother pulls his fifth wheel (same size) without his boat at times and according to him never gets below 9 and has never quite hit 10 mpg. I talk to a guy once in a while that used to pull his fifth wheel with a V10 and now has a 6 liter diesel. He says the 6.0 pulls a bit better than the V10. Maybe I'm deaf, dumb or blind, but I have never noticed anything scary about towing with a V10. I get on the road, get it up to speed, set the cruise and enjoy the trip. What do you plan on using the truck for?

mostly for towing. My wife will also drive it to work occasionally. I have a 30' travel trailer. I used to pull it with my old ford f150, which pulled it, but grunted a little. I now have 2 kids and can't get them in the extended cab very easily, so we use out tahoe, which barely knows the trailer is back there, but now I'm putting bikes, firewood, etc in the camper. I just miss camping with a truck, too easy to just throw everything in the back and go!!

Val...what is scary towing with a V10?? are you talking MPG's???

anyone else have an opinion on the v10??

When I was in the market for a newer pickup this spring I tossed around the idea of a V10 or a Diesel. From what I read, and from what I heard from others, was to stay away from the V10. The diesel seemed to be in a whole nother ballpark. If a person is going to be doing a lot of towing and putting on some miles, I feel the diesel is the way to go. That's what I ended up doing, and I don't regret it one bit.

JEV

Yes I meant mpg, especially with gas/diesel at $ 3.20 and going up

But there's hope, you cannot find a decent diesel at a good price

If you can get a V10 at $ 10,000 less than a diesel, well there's your savings, even if it's a gas hog.

I have a neighbor that it's trying to sell its '01 F350 4door long box, etc for $ 18,000, very sharp truck, but it has to drop at least $ 5,000 to have it gone.

If price of truck is CONSIDERABLY less than the diesel (I am talking lots of thousands) then you might want to consider it, do the math and don't be afraid to shoot a low price, these days selling a V8 is a problem, heck I am trying to sell my Suburban for way under book price and still have it here in the yard....

I'll have to go with Val. If you plan on towing long distances often go with a diesel. One reason that I have a V10 is that my wife can't stand to hear one idle. The other is that when I bought the V10 I figured I would have to drive a diesel 100,000 miles to come out ahead of the V10 cost and maintenance wise. My normal pull is 100 miles west to fish Lake Oahe or 50 miles east to fish the northeastern lakes. We may go to the Black Hills next summer, but that isn't a sure thing yet. I figure it costs me money to get where I am going, but I save when I get there. I also have a friend that had a V10 and then two diesels and now is back to the V10. He has a camper dealership and pulls them for a living. I think the best answer is what is best for you in your situation.

You're talking about the difference in 8-10mpg and a little less power. The diesel is cheaper to operate, maintain, will last longer and it is exremely easy to boost the power in a diesel without sacrificing fuel mileage (unless you like the sounds of the engine, chirping large tires and black smoke in the mirror).

Now if I could just figure out how much gas I can buy for the twenty seven thousand boot money they want. If I should decide to get a diesel one of these days, I guess the next one will come from the auction block too.

Not quite sure where you come up with the 27,000 to boot. I think the price is more like 6000 to boot for a diesel.

Trading a 99 F250 SD V10 for an 06 F350 SD diesel. I haven't checked yet, but I think that would be at least near the ballpark. I might have to run some more gasoline through the V10 before I get too serious. If I was going to do some traveling with the fifth wheel I might get more serious. For my local fishing trips, I don't need to spend the money. I don't feel too bad, my brothers wife just bought a Hummer 2 or whatver they are. The only time it will ever be off the asphalt will be when she parks in the driveway on concrete. I don't feel guilty about burning some gas in my truck for hunting and fishing. The ones that need to do some thinking are the ones that have to drive something like a Hummer for a status symbol. Heck, get a V6 Caddy and impress the Joneses. Off subject aren't I? Sorry. shocked.gifsmile.gif