• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upcoming Season

EXTREME

Ok....who here has been and will continue to be worthless at work until bow season comes along? Man, I can't get it out of my head. Bow hunting for 20 years and it still gets to me tongue.gif. Just trying to drum up some conversation, and want to see if anybody out there is as wacko as me!

No,I have been deer hunting for almost 40 years and now its as simple as when it gets here it gets here.I use to go batty waiting but after so many years and so many deer I can wait.

I'm with H-lee on this one.. I love bow season.. but I love bow season a whole lot more when a lot of the leaves fall and the bugs are gone!

I'm so busy trying to get my 'before hunting' list done that I haven't had time to think about it. Still need to get out and trim some stands, move a couple, make another one, more shooting practice, work up the fall food plots, plow some more ground for next spring, and oh yeah the wife has a couple of to-dos.

I would have to agree with Deitz, its fun to get out in September if its not too hot but when the end of Oct comes and the leave are turning color and its cooled down and the pheasants are cackling and you know the bucks are going to start roaming - nothing better!!! At my age, its even better than sex!!!

I'm pretty sure I think about it more than sex.

If I start thinking about the big buck I saw last year and can't sleep.

The guys I work with help run the Duluth hunt and we tend to get a bit off task when bow hunting comes up. Tonight is the lottery to determine which zone I get to hunt. After tonight I will really be pumped because I can do some serious scouting and research on the particular mega trophy deer I will be hunting. My personal restrictions this year are 12 points or 170". The crazy thing is it's entirely realistic!

EXTREME

I'm right with ya brother!!!!!!!. The wife gets mad at me when I get home from work. There are three things I'm doing. Shooting, watching the outdoor channel or puttzing around with all of my gear. Well there is the Twin's thing too. Just like a kid in a candy shop. Every pay-day have to take a trip to the sporting goods store and check out the new toys and buy little things that you might just need. Now as for being worthless at work HMMM Don't tell anyone but I sit and play on this forum while I'm at work. If I can't be hunting or fishing I might as well be reading about it plus getting paid for it. Have to be glad my boss isn't into hunting or this forum. As for the sex quotes from the others, just have to say to bad I enjoy my wife as much as I enjoy hunting and fishing. Helps when she enjoys the hunting and fishing just as much as I do. Only problems are it make it harder to get up in the morning.

I'm getting pretty psyched, but I'd have to agree with Blackjack's first paragraph. I've got a lot of things to do hunting & nonhunting related before I'm ready for 9/16, but I'll definitely be in the tree then. I'm still fishing & have lots of firewood to cut yet as well.

I'm stringing my recurve for the first time in 26 years and yes I'm a little excited but I sleep just fine UNLESS I'M THINKING OF DUCK HUNTING

Well at least I know I'm not the only one. I don't lose any sleep over season either...except maybe the night before. I just think about it alot....I mean alot. I still have to go hang a couple of portables out next weekend. Went scouting a couple of weeks back and seen 1 decent buck. I personally love the first 2 weeks of season. So far the skeeters are non-existant up here, so that will keep me from fidgeting too much. Hopefully the next 30 days or so will go by fast grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.