• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rider lawnmower... gas in the oil.. question

Slyster

Question

We have a 4 cycle 15hp B&S engine rider mower.. and today it ran very smokey and rough for a minute or two and finally sputtered out and I couldn't get it going again.. so I look at the dip stick and the oil was WAY too high.. so I decided to just change it..

It poured out SUPER thin and fast.. like 1/2 gallon.. light colored and smelling of gasoline. Wouldn't be water.. stored indoors since I used it last.

What's wrong? Would this be piston rings? How much to have a shop fix something like that?

10 answers to this question

Its more than likely the float in the carb overflowed and drained into the oil. The ring's wouldnt have anying to do with this.

The only other thing I can thing of would be kids helping dad fill up the crank case? confused.gif

How much oil does the engine hold? That seems like a lot of gas in the oil and it could have done some damage if ran hard and long but it doesnt appear that you did so you should be fine.

I have ran them like this for a awhile as long as you shut the fuel off when you are done.

Dont mean to be smart but you should check the oil before you start it, not after you have a problem grin.gif

Yah, sounds like the float in the carb stuck. Same thing happened to my brothers mower this spring. He filled the gas tank, came back the next day, and the tank was empty. A quick rebuild of the carb and it was good as new.

JEV

Cheap fix is to buy a fuel shutoff valve at a lawnmower or auto shop and put it on your fuel line that goes to the carb. When your almost done using it shut the fuel off and run it till it stalls. Helps to keep the carb from getting sludge in it and you won't have any more issues with gas in the oil. cool.gif

Quote:

and you won't have any more issues with gas in the oil.
cool.gif

Provided you remember to shut the valve off grin.giftongue.gif

I had the same problem. A local guy replaced the floats and it still happened. He redid the job and it still happened. I thought maybe he wasn't sure of the problem, so I took it to Carpenter's in North St. Paul. They told me that it most likely was floats, but there was a possibilty that the carb would have to be rebuilt. After the floats were replaced (3rd time, now) it still happened. Back to Carpenter's and they rebuilt the carb. If I remember right it cost something like $115.00.

Well.. regardless.. we downsized our yard and I don't want to deal with it.. nor have I any way of getting it to a shop.

Anyone want to take it off my hands for peanuts? Or maybe trade for a pusher mower? It's in decent shape otherwise and has always run good.. new blades last summer. MTD brand.

I'm just going to buy a regular mower.

I had the same thing with a 8 hp. I ended up rebuilding the carb (2 times). The first time didn't work but was not a complete rebuild.

Does it have a electric solenoid that screws into the very bottom of the carb bowl?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You only need to replace the float if theres a hole in it.

A float thats out of adjustment will raise or lower the gas level in the carb. Something that is the culprit of leaking gas more often then the float is the inlet valve.

If your inlet valve (needle and seat) are worn, dirty or pitted then a good float adjusted to the proper fuel level can't shut of the fuel into the carb.

Sly

I will take it off your hands.

Spiechowski at yahoo (Contact Us Please)

I live by you and can swing by today.....